Calcium Fertilization with Gypsum

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
Some "experts" reccomend gypsum to increase soil calcium to:

- reduce crusting of low lying tight soil.
- increase production and nitrogen fixation of legumes.

(This is separate from liming to increase soil ph.) Do you have any gypsum fertilization experiences to share?

Stocker Steve":1rap5dwc said:
Some "experts" reccomend gypsum to increase soil calcium to:

- reduce crusting of low lying tight soil.
- increase production and nitrogen fixation of legumes.

(This is separate from liming to increase soil ph.) Do you have any gypsum fertilization experiences to share?

I put some on some compacted soil a few years back. Irrigation wouldn't soak in as well as I wanted...........

It's hard to know how much to put cause their are no set rules to follow because dirts can vary.

Wound up putting another ton down the next year before it worked. The soil is mellow now but it took more lime that year too.

Don't know if it was worth or not.

steve, have you gotten any quotes on gypsum in your area? just curious, I really need to get some on my pasture land... but seems like pricing is going to be the limiting factor. I wonder if some work with foliars could work on improving the Ca enough

Gypsum is normally used to break up clay soils isnt it ?
Perhaps google for it first it may not be what you need . Dolomite might be better as it is lime with trace elements still in it.

No personal experience here other than I needed to lower the PH of my black clay soil and was told by knowledgeable people that I needed gypsum to bring down a high PH(8.0+) as apposed to lime to bring it up. This would supposedly help my saline problem. I didn't act because my grass has done fine without gypsum.

lukem86":aqf5nqff said:
steve, have you gotten any quotes on gypsum in your area? just curious, I really need to get some on my pasture land... but seems like pricing is going to be the limiting factor. I wonder if some work with foliars could work on improving the Ca enough

Have you heard of this outfit?

http://www.gsrcalcium.com

They had a booth at the last conference I was at and I was thinking about researching the product, but would be glad to hear from anyone who has used it.

Might work. Could be snake oil. Anyone got an opinion?

lukem86":1oixbwpw said:

$0.07 per pound for a calcuim and sulfur product. I do not have the specs handy.

Latest posts