CAB

Help Support CattleToday:

MikeC

Reaction score
Frankie:I don't expect to change it. But the question remains: where was your righteous moaning about CAB being misleading when Angus and the other British breeds were in the toilet 20 years ago?

I was right along with the undersecretary of the USDA who said CAB was a consumer "Rip Off". :lol:

Angus/Brangus":1tvq68tf said:
Mike,
Maybe it's time to lie down on the couch and figure out this fixation on CAB. Does it really effect your life? At all? Have you weighed the pro's and con's of the program? Does it matter?

It's fun to debate but with a purpose. I have a hard time seeing it anymore. There's not much more to say.

Don't read my posts. It's just that simple. :p I sure pass a lot of yours up........................................

"SOMEONE" locked the door on the last post Frankie made that asked me a question.

Get over it. Or don't. I could not care less.

ga. prime":230q184p said:
Wewild, speaking of Limos, my one and only had her calf yesterday. Fine looking pair.

Good for you. Seems like they have been hittting the ground here nicely too.

I really like a Lim/Angus cross. They make great beaf cows and you can argue with both the Limousine and Angus haters. :lol: :lol: :lol:

MikeC":d0222kmx said:
"SOMEONE" locked the door on the last post Frankie made that asked me a question.

Looked like a bunch of Angus threads got locked there together. Must be someone with Power that does not like Angus Bashing ;-)

MikeC":2fnbwpbg said:
Frankie:I don't expect to change it. But the question remains: where was your righteous moaning about CAB being misleading when Angus and the other British breeds were in the toilet 20 years ago?

I was right along with the undersecretary of the USDA who said CAB was a consumer "Rip Off". :lol:

I doubt you had even heard of CAB at that time :roll: He obviously changed his mind. It's a funny story that most Angus breeders get a good laugh out of these days.

Shut down CAB by taking one CAB roll? Today about 90% of the packing industry is licensed to sell CAB. There are probably hundreds of rolls out there. Of course, the USDA could shut them down again, but it's not likely. With as many producers, sale barns, feedlots, packers, wholesalers, distributors, supermarkets, restaurants, making the big bucks with CAB, there would be a very major uproar if the USDA decided to shut it down again.

I doubt that would save your pocketbook either, Mike. It's funny how wishing bad things on other people often turns around to bit the wisher in the behind. So watch behind you every day.

With as many producers, sale barns, feedlots, packers, wholesalers, distributors, supermarkets, restaurants, making the big bucks with CAB, there would be a very major uproar if the USDA decided to shut it down again.

So it really does boil down to the almighty dollar doesn't it? :lol:

Lord grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
the courage to change the things I can, and
the wisdom to know the difference.

-- Saint Francis of Assisi
:) :lol:

MikeC":3hq0vrg9 said:
With as many producers, sale barns, feedlots, packers, wholesalers, distributors, supermarkets, restaurants, making the big bucks with CAB, there would be a very major uproar if the USDA decided to shut it down again.

Apparently it does to you. You don't mind insulting and lying about other people's programs if it'll put a buck in yours. (Your momma must be soooo proud) I'm very grateful that I don't have to even consider that sort of thing. All I have to do is set here and point out that you're full of manure. Not a hard thing to do most days.

I have seen the Limi/Angus cross make 40% CAB under the same management as purebred Angus in the same herd making 20%. The Limi/Angus calves were worth $109 more than the straight Angus calves.

And this was done before the Limi's had carcass EPD, which should help things out.

The research was done at CSU. Funny how things reverse when "outside reviewers" do the research! The $100 premium commonly applied to the "Angus" cattle actually applied to the Limi/Angus cattle.

Turns out they are actually more productive mothers, too, but that work isn't done yet.

Badlands

Frankie":criquvg7 said:
MikeC":criquvg7 said:

Apparently it does to you. You don't mind insulting and lying about other people's programs if it'll put a buck in yours. (Your momma must be soooo proud)

I guess you didn't read your own post above. :roll:

And I won't refuse to address your low-life, trashy attempts to involve my family and/or their views of me.

Both of my parents are disabled and I have cared for them both daily for over 10 years. Yes, they are BOTH proud of me and I am proud that I can contribute to their comfort.

It's a shame that scum like you choose to use such tactics in a public forum debate.

Yes, you have touched a nerve that is very dear to me. :mad:

Badlands":3k7zu1lk said:
I have seen the Limi/Angus cross make 40% CAB under the same management as purebred Angus in the same herd making 20%. The Limi/Angus calves were worth $109 more than the straight Angus calves.

And this was done before the Limi's had carcass EPD, which should help things out.

The research was done at CSU. Funny how things reverse when "outside reviewers" do the research! The $100 premium commonly applied to the "Angus" cattle actually applied to the Limi/Angus cattle.

Turns out they are actually more productive mothers, too, but that work isn't done yet.

Badlands

I think there is about 60 years of research showing that a crossbred calf will outperform a similarly managed straightbred calf and that typically a crossbred mama cow is superior too either group of the two straightbred mamas in her composition. I am not knocking Lims here; but I think they could have substituted Hereford, Charolais, Gelbvieh, Brahman, Simmental, Braunvieh, Shorthorn, Pinzgauer, Maine, Chianina, Santa Gertrudis, etc for the Lims in that crossbreeding test and they would have gotten SOME sort of a bottomline $$ improvement over straightbreeding Angus. If I even tried too claim which of those crosses was BEST for every operation, I would be showing my own ignorance.

Angus is preaching straightbreeding (like they did in ~1955) and ignoring all the science compiled by two or three generations of animal scientists. At SOME point, the AAA is going to have too accept that the decline in quality grades, the increase in YG4s, a lot of that backfat on the kill floor, and that we as an industry are not making acceptable genetic progress all comes back to declining heterosis and that they and their own greedy determination too grow their percentage of the bull market by any means necessary are partially responsible. I am not bashing the Angus breed here. We would be running into problems if we as an industry were marketing 87% Chars, Piedmontese, Herefords, or Lims as our commercial cattle too.

Badlands":2woo83gs said:

I think we all can agree that hybrid vigor will add to your profit that is one reason we need purebreds imo. BTW I own some limiflex cows, great cows-the ones I retained. Be sure and take a look at the percentages of those limiflex heifers considered for retainment though that will have fertility problems. In my experience there was always a higher percentage (when compared to straight angus) that wouldn't breed, usually the prettiest ones I might add.

Badlands

Right, guys.

I made note of the Limousin cross, as I had seen Simmental, Gelbvieh and Tarentaise cattle do the same or better when crossed on Angus. I was actually surprised that Limousin did quite as good as they did. I suspected(knew) that they could improve %CAB, but I was surprised that they did as much as they did.

So, although I am a proponent of crossbreeding, the point wasn't so much about the benefits of doing it, but that even breeds that have the perception of marbling "problems" can be used with Angus and actually make more CAB than pure Angus.

Thanks for you points.

Badlands

MikeC":1gn6mgoj said:
Yes, you have touched a nerve that is very dear to me. :mad:

Mad? Get over it. You're the one who started this bashing. You have brought my family into discussions. You've insulted me, called me names, questioned my statements, and never acknowledged it when I backed them up! Now that I've touched a nerve, you're MAD? :roll:

Brandonm2":zs9kuqgu said:
Badlands":zs9kuqgu said:

Badlands

I think there is about 60 years of research showing that a crossbred calf will outperform a similarly managed straightbred calf and that typically a crossbred mama cow is superior too either group of the two straightbred mamas in her composition. I am not knocking Lims here; but I think they could have substituted Hereford, Charolais, Gelbvieh, Brahman, Simmental, Braunvieh, Shorthorn, Pinzgauer, Maine, Chianina, Santa Gertrudis, etc for the Lims in that crossbreeding test and they would have gotten SOME sort of a bottomline $$ improvement over straightbreeding Angus. If I even tried too claim which of those crosses was BEST for every operation, I would be showing my own ignorance.

Angus is preaching straightbreeding (like they did in ~1955) and ignoring all the science compiled by two or three generations of animal scientists. At SOME point, the AAA is going to have too accept that the decline in quality grades, the increase in YG4s, a lot of that backfat on the kill floor, and that we as an industry are not making acceptable genetic progress all comes back to declining heterosis and that they and their own greedy determination too grow their percentage of the bull market by any means necessary are partially responsible. I am not bashing the Angus breed here. We would be running into problems if we as an industry were marketing 87% Chars, Piedmontese, Herefords, or Lims as our commercial cattle too.

AAA is not preaching straight bred. Join the association and see for yourself.

Latest posts