BVDV: Read This!

Help Support CattleToday:

I just read it Mike! Good article, and something that has been coming up more and more recently.

Interesting that some of the acute symptoms sound like Johnnes! And about as virulent when you get it in your herd. Another good reason not to buy from an auction barn.. in my opinion of course

This article was a little technical for me. I have also read the recent feedlot studies that documented the effect of BVD on a chronic's pen mates. The management things they discussed were pooled testing of incoming cattle and the high risk of buying singles.

Have you had any experience with testing potential chronics?

I actually had a mucosal case on my farm once. He was born to a cow that was bought at a purebred sale. My neighbor only had the one registered bull and I let him put the bull in with mine for developing.

This calf got all his shots just as the rest did and was healthy until....................

At 14 months of age he started downhill fast. When I recognized the blister type lesions between his toes and on his mouth I took him to the vet clinic at Auburn Univ.

Luckily he had not had contact with any cows and I came away very lucky, but it scared the devil out of me.

Any of the cows in your herd could be a P.I. and you might never know it.

Feedlot Mag. had a two part artical in the last two issues that broke BVDV down in every since of the word very good article if you get the chance to read it.

perhaps they should find a way to test cattle at a more reasonable rate. I do have all of my cattle tested when I buy them. by the time the vet comes out to gather blood to test, sends it to the lab, "reads" the results, it's a little over $8 a head. had a feed delivery guy last week, tell me his brothers 3 year old bull tested as a PI. that is scary.

Latest posts