Buying semen on this bull

Help Support CattleToday:

HOSS

Reaction score
I am going to buy 10 straws on this bull Saturday. I have watched his progeny since weaning and WOW! Very impressive. The link to the sales catalog is not a sales plug by me (just know before you open it) but it has the only picture of the bull that I could find and it is a bad one at that. He is very impressive in person. I saw him the first time as a 15 month old and I was very impressed. I think his bull calves that I have been watching have some really great potential. Some of the thickest yearlings I have seen. I have been buying bulls and semen from this breeder for a few years and he continues to really make big strides. It won't be long before he only raises bulls out of my price range :(
http://www.gelbvieh.org/search/animalin ... MGV1049026
http://static.auctionservices.com/docum ... -page2.pdf

novatech":39bbrsrr said:
This says he will let you try it for free. Might be reading it wrong.
http://www.sokygelbvieh.com/Work.html
I saw that earlier. This bull had half interest sold as a 15 month old. I believe this is the folks that bought the half interest. It looks they are doing the promotion work. I guess it is cheaper for me to buy a straw at the sale than to have the free one shipped to me.

Numbers look good on that bull whats his actual birth weight? Hope he does you right, next time you look to buy a gelbvieh bull look me up.

I have always like looking at this Gelbvieh bull for high WW.
http://bullbarn.com/gelbepd.asp?ID=306

BNC P455 "Raisin the Bar":
Raisin the Bar was purchased for his outcross genetics and his amazingly powerful growth. He logged an amazing 1016 pound adjusted weaning weight and a 1546 pound yearling weight. He had a 41 cm scrotal and a 16.3 adjusted ribeye area. Carcass and reproductive traits all in one package.

double v":lxahd985 said:
Numbers look good on that bull whats his actual birth weight? Hope he does you right, next time you look to buy a gelbvieh bull look me up.
I believe he was 77 pounds at birth. What part of Misery are you from. We have several friends near Springfield and Ozark.

Uncle Dude":yjrps97u said:

Raisin the Bar was purchased for his outcross genetics and his amazingly powerful growth. He logged an amazing 1016 pound adjusted weaning weight and a 1546 pound yearling weight. He had a 41 cm scrotal and a 16.3 adjusted ribeye area. Carcass and reproductive traits all in one package.

I'm not so sure all of the carcass traits are there. -.07 Marb and -4.39CV. Both of these are below breed average. FM and DtF are good. Can't deny his growth numbers.

This is what I would be afraid of.

CE EPD of 92, breed average is 104
BW EPD of 5.6, breed average is 1.4
I would be leary of calving difficulties. Match him up with a cow that has high bw EPD and low CE EPD and you might have big problems.

Sounds like you have used him, and hope you have good luck with him. He looks like a high growth, terminal sire.

bandit80":20qtvyhv said:
Uncle Dude":20qtvyhv said:

I'm not so sure all of the carcass traits are there. -.07 Marb and -4.39CV. Both of these are below breed average. FM and DtF are good. Can't deny his growth numbers.

This is what I would be afraid of.

CE EPD of 92, breed average is 104
BW EPD of 5.6, breed average is 1.4
I would be leary of calving difficulties. Match him up with a cow that has high bw EPD and low CE EPD and you might have big problems.

Sounds like you have used him, and hope you have good luck with him. He looks like a high growth, terminal sire.

Raisin the Bar would do well if he was the Gelbvieh half of a Balancer bull with a low BW Angus half

Raisin the Bar would do well if he was the Gelbvieh half of a Balancer bull with a low BW Angus half[/quote]

Except for the sad fact that a 1 bred to a 10 does not necessarily give you a 5. It could be a 3 or it could be an 8. On paper it might look good but I would still be scared to use a bull out of him on anyting but older cows.

There's a lot of good GV bulls out there without using something that extreme.

3waycross":3vt3qb29 said:
Raisin the Bar would do well if he was the Gelbvieh half of a Balancer bull with a low BW Angus half

Except for the sad fact that a 1 bred to a 10 does not necessarily give you a 5. It could be a 3 or it could be an 8. On paper it might look good but I would still be scared to use a bull out of him on anyting but older cows.

There's a lot of good GV bulls out there without using something that extreme.[/quote]

3waycross just explained to us the difference between homogeneous and hybrid. It's a very big hurdle for some.

I just stumbled across this message board today and this seems like odd timing as I actually owned Raisin the Bar for a few years. Raisin was a legit high growth bull. We have been raising Gelbvieh cattle since 1971 and were one of the first Gelbvieh herds in the US and this is quite possibly the highest growth bull we have ever owned. He had massive bone and leg structure and was very sound moving. He was long as a truck and his calves were unrivaled for growth. With that said the 5.6 BW EPD is also legit and it took some management to use him effectively. Raisin sired 62 calves for us and they averaged 81 pounds at birth but I used him on our best calving ease cows. We had only two calves over 100 pounds out of him, but our herd average is 81 pounds at birth and they were the only calves over 100 pounds we had in the three years we used him.

I sold him to Blackhawk Cattle Company and they used him to make Balancers. I never had any problems with him as far as calving goes and I loved the calves, but I sell most of my bulls to customers that have 20 cows, one bull and have a job in town. They are not their all day to watch their cows calve. I never had any complaints from bull customers that bought Raisin sons in regards to calving problems, but after using him three years, I decided I better not continue to use him for fear that a customer would end up with problems.

There is probably only about 50 units of Raisin semen left in existence and the bull is deceased. I sold a bunch of nice bulls out of him though.

CKSGelbvieh":28d00j2t said:
I just stumbled across this message board today and this seems like odd timing as I actually owned Raisin the Bar for a few years. Raisin was a legit high growth bull. We have been raising Gelbvieh cattle since 1971 and were one of the first Gelbvieh herds in the US and this is quite possibly the highest growth bull we have ever owned. He had massive bone and leg structure and was very sound moving. He was long as a truck and his calves were unrivaled for growth. With that said the 5.6 BW EPD is also legit and it took some management to use him effectively. Raisin sired 62 calves for us and they averaged 81 pounds at birth but I used him on our best calving ease cows. We had only two calves over 100 pounds out of him, but our herd average is 81 pounds at birth and they were the only calves over 100 pounds we had in the three years we used him.

I sold him to Blackhawk Cattle Company and they used him to make Balancers. I never had any problems with him as far as calving goes and I loved the calves, but I sell most of my bulls to customers that have 20 cows, one bull and have a job in town. They are not their all day to watch their cows calve. I never had any complaints from bull customers that bought Raisin sons in regards to calving problems, but after using him three years, I decided I better not continue to use him for fear that a customer would end up with problems.

There is probably only about 50 units of Raisin semen left in existence and the bull is deceased. I sold a bunch of nice bulls out of him though.

CKS please check your PM's

Uncle Dude":2cczrvuh said:

BTW, here are some videos of some sons of Raisin the Bar that sell next Tuesday at Hojer Ranch's sale.

http://www.youtube.com/user/hojerranch#p/u/75/BXSONUuxKGU

http://www.youtube.com/user/hojerranch#p/u/73/CCwYoTgWAJQ

double v":18bnpeoz said:
Hoss, west central mo is were we reside if you every make it this way look us up.

That is some good cattle coutry out thataway double v. If I am ever in the neighborhood I'll holler at you.....and let you buy me a cup of coffee :mrgreen: