Buying Pairs vs. Buying Bred Cows

Help Support CattleToday:

RazorbackRed

Reaction score
I am leaning towards starting my business with a few pairs, however would I be better off just buying a few 3rd trimester bred cows?

When I start looking for cows to start my business, what age should I look for 3-4? less than 6?

Thanks,

Razorback

TurnThatCowLooseMaw":4tdwhzcx said:
I would be going the cow calf route. That is just me. Course if they are really good cattle and they are bred and you just cant pass them up by all means go for it.

Me, too. A live calf at least shows the cow can produce one calf and keep it alive. But price does play into the picture. If the bred ones are considerably cheaper, that might be the way to go. But get them preg checked before you write the check.

You might also want to verify they'll calve within a certain window. A neighbor helped his friend buy some bred cattle. All were supposed to be calved out by the end of January. He bought a bull from us to turn out on March 1, but the cows were still calving. He finally turned the bull out April 1. So his calving season is already strung out.

Best thing you could buy IMO would be Cow Calf Pairs that are Bred back. Since you are just starting you would not have to worry about a bull for a another year or so. 3 in 1 deals are hard to beat.

It depends when you want to establish a breeding and calving season. Buying bred cows at this time of year means summer calves (I personally don't like late spring calves).

Thanks for all the opinions. I do have a nice Charolais Bull that will service them. Which brings up another question.

What kind of cows breed best with Charolis. Don't want to put the big boy on something he might hurt or will produce some trash animals.

RazorbackRed":11zbxz1z said:
What kind of cows breed best with Charolis. Don't want to put the big boy on something he might hurt or will produce some trash animals.
You're starting out backwards. Don't build a cowherd around a bull. Build a cowherd that fits your resources and environment. Then find a bull that complements your cows.

And that Char bull will complement most cows. ;-)

Texan":v9aownsg said:
RazorbackRed":v9aownsg said:
You're starting out backwards. Don't build a cowherd around a bull. Build a cowherd that fits your resources and environment. Then find a bull that complements your cows.

Good advice as usual.

Caustic Burno":7r912p5m said:
Texan":7r912p5m said:
RazorbackRed":7r912p5m said:

Good advice as usual.

yes i thought so too......

Thanks for the advice. The Char Bull i am using is a proven commodity. he has sired over 100 calves for my mentor, so I know what I am getting. Also don't plan to buy any heifers, just 3-4 year olds with a calf by their side.

remember - just because your buying a pair in the ring doesn't mean THAT calf belongs to THAT cow. The cow could have lost her calf and someone grafted the calf to the cow. What I'm saying is don't necessarily make your judgements of the cow based on the calf that's with her.

RazorbackRed":v00mo4wq said:
Thanks for the advice. The Char Bull i am using is a proven commodity. he has sired over 100 calves for my mentor, so I know what I am getting. Also don't plan to buy any heifers, just 3-4 year olds with a calf by their side.

Seems like you've already got a plan worked out.

I'd buy cow/calf pairs that are bred back. 3 for 1. Can't beat it. I'd follow Texan's advice, get my cows, and then get a bull that will compliment them.. JMO

I will buy at the sale barn, however I plan to take my time, and figure it will take multiple trips to come up with 5 or 6 pairs i am comfortable with.

Also, thanks for the heads up on the calf not belonging to the momma. Hadn't thought of that.

I realize that I am working backwards on buying the cows based on the bull however, it is what it is. I can't justify buying a bull at this point considering I will only have 5 or 6 cows. The bull is already in service, and i'll use him free of charge, plus this good Char bull should be fine with about any cow i throw out there (besides a heifer) I figure.

The bull is on all kinds of cows right now and we havent had to pull a calf from him in 3 years. I really want to work it out so that I can get some smokey calves.

SF- Are you saying good luck, because its a crap shoot buying from the barn? Do you have a strong opinion on buying elsewhere, or are you just speaking in generalities?

RazorbackRed":myjnjq9u said:
SF- Are you saying good luck, because its a crap shoot buying from the barn? Do you have a strong opinion on buying elsewhere, or are you just speaking in generalities?

Good luck, meant as I hope all goes well for you.

There are good cattle sold at sale barns, but you need to pay attention to what you are buying. If you are buying cow/calf pairs, you need to get there early so you can observe them out in the pens. Look for cows licking their calves or calves nursing. Most sale barns will palpate the cows if they are being sold bred.

My first choice for starting a new herd would be to find reputable breeders that have the kind of stock you like. Even if you have to pay a little more, many times it will be worth it in the long run. A production sale would be my second choice and the sale barn would be 3rd choice.

I do wish you lots of good luck.

I buy a few cattle out of NW AR a couple of times per year.

If I was buying at the sale barn I'd get there early and see who brings the pair in. Some are sold because the farmer needs to pay a bill or two and then sometimes (as has already been mentioned) they are just a "made up family".
A VERY experienced friend of mine bought a pair a few weeks ago - let them out of the trailer, cow went one direction and the calf went the other. Spent the next few days gettin' 'em back together.

sidney is right when buying paits out of the sale barn.your never really sure if that calf belongs to the cow.b/c ppl do graft calves on them.3 in 1s are the best way to go.as well as buying private treaty.