Buying commercial bulls

Help Support CattleToday:

blx

Reaction score
Hi everyone, longtime lurker, first time poster-

Many years ago my family generally bought bulls at the sale barn. About 15 years ago we moved to buying direct from individuals. Just curious what others normally do.

When you say sale barn, do you mean the stockyards or an actual bull sale? There are a few producers here and there that raise a dozen or so registered bulls that are just as good or better than the big producers and usually cheaper.

By sale barn I mean stockyards- a bull for sale after the calves sell, special bull/cow sale, etc.

I agree with the "few" sentiment- that's what we've been doing for the past decade or so. But around here the "few" seems to be getting fewer and fewer, at least if you want something other than Angus or Angus influence. We've had Angus bulls for a while but our cow herd has become predominantly Angus and Angus/Hereford, so we want something else for crossbreeding. We've had good luck with Limousin bulls in the past but are having a hard time finding a purebred one. Everyone is out of stock or just has "Limflex" stuff. I guess we need to be willing to travel farther for a bull.

On that note, how far would you be willing to travel for a bull? I always worry about injury during a long trailer ride.

blx":36tp4kk8 said:
By sale barn I mean stockyards- a bull for sale after the calves sell, special bull/cow sale, etc.

I agree with the "few" sentiment- that's what we've been doing for the past decade or so.

On that note, how far would you be willing to travel for a bull? I always worry about injury during a long trailer ride.
That's a good question......I 've never really thought about it, there is several good producers here locally, I would probably be more concerned with getting a bull that is used to my climate, grass, etc. than distance.

Go to the Heart of Missouri Limousin Breeders Ass. website. Contact a guy named Dave Vote. If he doesn't have what you are looking for he will no where you can find it.

Several pretty good breeders in Missouri just a matter of finding them. If you would consider a fullblood bull i can give you a phone number of some fullblood breeders as well.

not really depends on the area up here if its red or blk just wondering. some places have good quality and some don't.

Closest sale barn to us is Boonville.

I get fullblood and purbred confused- I should have said fullblood in my original post... yes, we're not opposed to a red animal. One thing I must mention is my father, who will be writing the check, doesn't think one should ever pay more than $2,500 for a bull. Not sure I agree with him on that but that might limit our options.

Double V has some dandy Gelbviehs blx.... Gelbvieh would be an excellent cross on your stock.
I almost bought a thick young black bull from him but hubby bought a Balancer from someone else before we got our deal done. Looking forward to our first calves out of him this spring!

Red Bull Breeder":38ff7hr4 said:
Is Lamar to far for you to go? Fullblood is red and not bred up. You GV folks back up this is a Limousin deal.

Sorry for the hijack Randy. Hard as i try i can't keep em all in line. Especially the ornery one in Missouri!

you know i have a red balancer just sitting around, really no plans for him just watching him grow out. i'm a lot closer than Lamar. LOL