Buying calves at a cheap price

Help Support CattleToday:

Jed- It's not just them 300 lb one year old yurlins that make you think wow whats going on. If you saw the folks that brought them you would know why those 300 lb yurlins weight what they weight. :shock: :shock:

Isomade":3lj0rjae said:
TexasBred":3lj0rjae said:
upfrombottom":3lj0rjae said:
I believe Webster must have been a Bloody Yank. How else would the rest of the world get everything we say wrong?
The original poster said he basically called anything 300 lbs. up a "yearling" which is pretty much what folks around here do except they pronouce it "yurling" as I mentioned. What this other feller is saying is that if you tell him you have 80 yearlings for sale, when he drives 300 miles expecting to buy 80 calves close to a year old and weighing 800-1000 lbs that were represented as "yearling" he expects to see that type and size cattle. I guess semantics can be everything especially when you have two guys trying to make a deal using two different languages. :lol2: :lol2:

To be redneck correct the term is actually "yurlin' " :D

Red a book once called the "Yearling". But he was really a yurlin' (deer) :lol2: :lol2:

TexasBred":1c0uk74t said:
upfrombottom":1c0uk74t said:
I believe Webster must have been a Bloody Yank. How else would the rest of the world get everything we say wrong?
The original poster said he basically called anything 300 lbs. up a "yearling" which is pretty much what folks around here do except they pronouce it "yurling" as I mentioned. What this other feller is saying is that if you tell him you have 80 yearlings for sale, when he drives 300 miles expecting to buy 80 calves close to a year old and weighing 800-1000 lbs that were represented as "yearling" he expects to see that type and size cattle. I guess semantics can be everything especially when you have two guys trying to make a deal using two different languages. :lol2: :lol2:

TB, we used to have some Herefords and their 350lb calves WERE yearlings! :lol:
We don't own them anymore - thank heavens.
Valerie

manitgotcoldhere2":1gcdisrg said:
I'm just glad to see the posse still rides.
Only joined in Feb. but knows about the posse from a good while back??? And doesn't put up his location.

Makes me think he has been on before with a different handle and got run off. :lol:

Well, I saw the topic "Buying calves at a cheap price" and I thought "Hey! I like buying calves at a cheap price!" So I opened this thread to maybe learn a little something only to read that it has digressed into a school yard "I am rubber, you are glue" type of discussion. Big fat surprise. I would suggest the majority of posters on this thread evaluate their own intelligence regardless of where they are from.

To the original poster, I would advise you to buy the calves ~ nothing risked, nothing gained. Keep them longer than the 2 days you mention ~ it will not be worth your time if you only have them 2 days.

Are they still .75? Buy them and bring them to n.alabama they will bring 1.15 to 1.33 no matter what they look like. Especially black or yeller calves

Gravy I haven't been back in a while, been too busy. It's a Saturday sell and Saturday is the only free time I have to do all my other chores. Plan on going back soon though. Maybe the first weekend of next year and see what they have.

I have the chance to get some heifers that didn't pelvic measure good. What do you guy think I should do

Littlesalesman":2nmhnyl5 said:
I have the chance to get some heifers that didn't pelvic measure good. What do you guy think I should do
Depends on how bad the pelvic numbers are. If their way low buy them for feeders.

Littlesalesman":22ivohnt said:
They are really small. But the problem is I am only 15 and on a tight budget.
Unelss you have the means to grow them out and sell them as feeders I would pass on them.

Littlesalesman":1chm8kka said:
They are really small. But the problem is I am only 15 and on a tight budget.
Don't let your age stop you young man. Determination has got me farther in life than my age ever has.

I gotta agree with both dun and inbred on this one. If you have the resources then go for it! Don't let your age stop you, the lessons you learn now will stick with you for life!

Latest posts