Buying a Squeeze Chute...Please Help!

Help Support CattleToday:

4x4dually

Reaction score
I'm looking at a Priefert So191 with HG91 auto/manual headgate on it for $1850. I have a small operation, right now 60 stockers, and hope to have 12 to 14 cows in the next few years. Are there any of you that have problems with this particular brand and/or model number? Any advice? I've looked at power rivers and ww's and for the $, I think the Preifert is the way to go. But like I said, I'm just not going to use it but a day or two a year plus whatever treatments my cavles may require.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, JWB

The cows have to be moving hard to self catch. No matter how well you oil it, they will "almost" close it and then back up before it latches. Therefore, I have to assist the latching.

Other than that, it works well.

I truly like the through put it provides, once I am done.

backhoeboogie":6zrmylw0 said:
The cows have to be moving hard to self catch. No matter how well you oil it, they will "almost" close it and then back up before it latches. Therefore, I have to assist the latching.

Other than that, it works well.

I truly like the through put it provides, once I am done.

Yours is sure a lot different then ours is. They do have to bump it hard enough to flip the hold open doohicky but it will defenitley slam shut. Do you have the closing spring adjust right?

To the original poster. Not sure if that's the model chute we, ours is the economy model. Catches week old calves and 1800 lb cows just fine.
Excewllent chute system but get a palp cage for it too although you can add it later.

dun

Thanks for input. I went to the mill at lunch and looked at the Priefert, the W&W, and the Pearson. Man, theat Pearson is nice, but over $3000!

Priefert: I don't like the headgate. Not a fan of the sliding ones. I prefer the self catching ones that open in and out. I don't like the solid panel at the bottom that opens. It should be a half panel, not a full panel. I think I'm gonna get the crap kicked out of me when cutting bull calves. I like the sliding tail gate, but it doesn't seem to me that you can work that and the head gate at the same time, especially if you have to 'assist' the 'automatic' gate.

W&W: Nice although lots of bars and stuff to bang head and shins on. My fater-in-law has an old one of these I've worked it many times. I like it, with the eception of a few smashed fingers. You gotta pay attention with this one! One-hand operated, half panel at the bottom for cuttin', like it. I don't like the fact that the tail gate pulls up.....and then back over the chute. This gets caught sometimes and we have had 3 calves in my father-in-laws at the same time. Total trainwreck! Love the headgate...heavy built.

Pearson: Seems to be top of the line. Heavy heavy heavy. Nice trap doors behind head gate to work. Nice tail gate, opens straight up and won't bind. Both sides squeeze to keep sides symetrical with lane. Greasable pivots. It also has a bar between in the middle of the chute in the front about 20 inches high. I have never seen one. I guess it keeps stock from laying down in the chute? I'm open for suggestions on this one. It doesn't have any means for barring the head down for de-horning, guess I'll have to built that.

Any more input on this subject is greatly appreciated.

Thanks, JWB

4x4dually":3nv4nclb said:
Priefert: I don't like the headgate. Not a fan of the sliding ones. I prefer the self catching ones that open in and out. I don't like the solid panel at the bottom that opens. It should be a half panel, not a full panel. I think I'm gonna get the crap kicked out of me when cutting bull calves. I like the sliding tail gate, but it doesn't seem to me that you can work that and the head gate at the same time, especially if you have to 'assist' the 'automatic' gate.

The sliding/folding type was exactly the reason we are so pleased with the Priefert. After having way to many cows learn to bump the swining ones and jerk there heads back then run through them I got fed up with the swingers.
If a cow is leaning in or pulling back on the swingers it's nearly impossible, I'm old, weak and scrawny, to get the head gate open. Granted we've only had our catch for 7-8 years but I've yet to have to assist it to close.
When the cow goes into the chute you close the rear gate. If she's short we just standing in the chute ifshe's long enough or hot enough she's caught. I haven;t tried there scissor rear gates but the slider sure works a lot better then some of the others I've tried. The half panel can be a pain in the butt, but if we're going to need to access through it we just take them out and put them aside till we're done. When we cut or band, someone tails them and I still in behind through the palp cage and do it from behind. The only time we do anything from the bottom sided is if we're doctoring a foot or lower leg injury. I really like not having to mess with changing the head catch width for little calves up to big cows.
Works for us.
Helped at the dairy with a WW a while back, made me appreciate the Priefert all that much more.

dun

Pearson is heavy made and nice trap, but for cows it doesn't allow a tight squeeze being straight up and down, and the swing out bars are terrible to try to brand (Fold down are better). We don't like ours.

I just picked up the Pearson this morning for $3095. I think 90% of the options on it are heavier built and easier to operate than the others I had to choose from. I looked at the Powder River and Filson at Atwoods, negative! I didn't like them at all. The Filson looked like a WW, I'd swear it was without the stickers. I had my wife operate everything on the Pearson first and she liked it much better. That is good, considering she'll be helping me since we don't have kids yet. And she'll be the first one cussin' when something takes twice the effort it should.

I'm not sure if I am going to like the brisket bar in the bottom. Do any of you all use that device? Seems like they'd just trip and try to avoid it and cause havoc in the chute.

Thanks for your posts! If you are looking for great information on Cummins powered dodge trucks, go to http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/ This is where I spend most of my time.

JWB

Latest posts