Buying a roping horse

Help Support CattleToday:

Copemeister

Reaction score
Hey all, recently joined the rodeo team here at college and I've been trying my hand at roping. Thing is... I need myself a horse. A good friend here at school recently bought a new horse for roping purposes and offered to sell me his 10 year old painted horse. He responds well, has a good temper, stands 15.2 hands tall, and is real athletic. The real issue is I have no time nor the knowledge to train a new horse as I'll be stationed elsewhere in a year now. He's asking between around 4 thousand which seems a bit steep from what I've gathered. If anyone has any information (or a horse they think that'd be suitable in the Colorado area) your input would be appreciated. Thanks again.

Copemeister":2mmv4389 said:
The real issue is I have no time nor the knowledge to train a new horse as I'll be stationed elsewhere in a year now.

Well it seems that you talked yourself out of buying the horse. Your reason is valid. However expect to spend way more than $4K for a finished horse. If you want a good horse that knows it's job, add another figure to the price.

Another thought is sending the horse to a qualified trainer to finish it and teach you how to rope.

If he is a trained roping horse, he may be worth every penny. I have far more than that invested in my cow horse and all he does is chase cows.

Copemeister,

Some ropers I know have paid quite a bit of money for their trained roping horse. My nephew roped for a college in SD, and then here in Texas. He started on an older horse, then went to a younger one.

Repetition is hard on any animal, I would have an equine vet check that horse out thoroughly before I buy it.

Have you roped any off of this horse? If not, would your friend let you use him for awhile before you make the decision to buy him?

Good luck

It doesnt sound like you rope at all or very little and as you said havent the time or knowledge to train one.Learn to rope first on the ground and then buy you and old horse that will take care of you and you can learn to rope on.A green roper and a green horse usually add up to a wreck.It doesnt matter at this time if the horse is in his teens or early 20s as long as hes solid and safe even if he has some managable health problems you will come out better off then buying a green one and starting from there.If you have the horse trained you still have a green horse to a degree and you need to learn to rope first.Think about it.

You know I used to rope a bit back in my younger days when when we still used hemp ropes. These days I just make a BIG old loop and hope they run into it. :cboy:

Thanks for all the helpful responses. They're truly appreciated. I'll look for an older, more seasoned horse to start out with. I'm also gonna be posting some pics of the horse for all to see. He's a beaut. If ya'll have any helpful advice for the novice roper I'm all ears. :cboy: