Buying a farm in Canada

Help Support CattleToday:

Aaron":34q5cgtq said:
Other crop info:

Oats will do 70 bushels on a bad year and up around 120-140 on a good year.
Barley does poorly here, but some people have a green thumb with it and can go 60 bushels
Wheat is similar to barley in that it has a hard time, but it can go 100 bushels
No one does canola or soybeans here.
Hay, generally 2 tons to the acre is the low end of the spectrum. With the right mix, you can hit 5-6 ton to the acre.

I sure wish more 'normal' farmers would move to this area. Got a slug of Mennonites around here that are irritating as be nice. Big talkers, but they believe God should provide everything for them, so their cowherds are disgusting and they never fertilize or properly work their fields. I shudder to think what Amish would be like. :cowboy: :bang:

we had some mennonites around once in awhile. i think i was told they have a turkey farm over east somewhere. they showed up once and seen them poking around just snoopin without ever talking to a person asked what they were doing and they said looking for things to buy. told them if they couldnt talk to a person first them dont need to buy anything so leave. dad was tellin me that they do that once in awhile but run them off cause they steal thats why they just looking around. guess guy south of us caught them loading stuff when he come home once. but this is just what im told.
Man i was thinking bout farming a little but was told dont bother cattle will buy more than crops will. guy said oats 40 bushel wheat the same way. does do some soybeans or sunflowers once in awhile. but said no money in it. but again like i said i dont actually know but one person that is a farmer most are just ranchers or cowboys trying to turn some soil.

csr":3tnyakte said:
I find your prices very unusual -- where in Ontario are you getting land for $700/acre (canadianfarmboy), or even $1046/acre (aaron)? Where exactly are you guys? Perhaps I should move..

In my area, in midWestern Ontario, I've been offered a deal on 65 acres for $8000/acre, or $520,000 total. That's for flat land across the road from my place, clay base, tile-drained land that has no fences, and I'm told cannot be built upon. I find that a bit rich.

One mile away an older dairy operation (no quota, no cows) has 100 acres, some drained, indifferent fences, and a run-down house & barn, and is now for sale privately, asking $900,000, or $9000/acre.

In 2009, a 160 acre parcel with heavy clay and no tile drains but decent building (barn, silos, sheds and a decent 3br house), turned down high offer of $820,000 at auction - $5125/acre.

I was offered $3000/acre for a 25acre parcel in 2003, it was an unsolicited offer and I turned it down.

Even with $7 corn, these prices seem too high. And this isn't great corn country (only 2500 heat units).

No one said i was from Ontario did I . Does everyone assume eastern canada is Ontario ahahahaahah . From New Brunswick here , lots of potatoe ground is in the $3000 range , but not for pasture and an old farm house

canadianfarmboy":b59g3g0o said:
csr":b59g3g0o said:
I find your prices very unusual -- where in Ontario are you getting land for $700/acre (canadianfarmboy), or even $1046/acre (aaron)? Where exactly are you guys? Perhaps I should move..

In my area, in midWestern Ontario, I've been offered a deal on 65 acres for $8000/acre, or $520,000 total. That's for flat land across the road from my place, clay base, tile-drained land that has no fences, and I'm told cannot be built upon. I find that a bit rich.

One mile away an older dairy operation (no quota, no cows) has 100 acres, some drained, indifferent fences, and a run-down house & barn, and is now for sale privately, asking $900,000, or $9000/acre.

In 2009, a 160 acre parcel with heavy clay and no tile drains but decent building (barn, silos, sheds and a decent 3br house), turned down high offer of $820,000 at auction - $5125/acre.

I was offered $3000/acre for a 25acre parcel in 2003, it was an unsolicited offer and I turned it down.

Even with $7 corn, these prices seem too high. And this isn't great corn country (only 2500 heat units).

No one said i was from Ontario did I . Does everyone assume eastern canada is Ontario ahahahaahah . From New Brunswick here , lots of potatoe ground is in the $3000 range , but not for pasture and an old farm house

Sorry. I thought Ontario too. Too much of a Westerner. Say Eastern Canada and my blood boils thinking about Toronto/Ottawa. You should label your location as New Brunswick to avoid any confusion and/or labeling. :D :cowboy:

Ha haha no problem arron , get that alot . Didnt wanna admit i was from new brunswick lol , not much for cattle done this way anymore . Any good ground goes for potatoes/canola/soybeans or else the diary farmers have it tied up > Its hard with cattle down here as there is no slaughter house in the maritimes , and hard to buy calves with quebec and their government subsidies . Thats part of the reason i wanted to go cow/calf which would elimante me competing with federal money only avaible for one province :shock:

Glad your happy, land price is irrelevant. To cold for this old southern boy. When it snows here I want to move further south.

highgrit":1vgorjha said:
Glad your happy, land price is irrelevant. To cold for this old southern boy. When it snows here I want to move further south.

I'll take cold over 24/7 skeeter season. Glad that lasts only 4 months tops, up here. :cowboy:

Aaron":k5bb6und said:
highgrit":k5bb6und said:

I'll take cold over 24/7 skeeter season. Glad that lasts only 4 months tops, up here. :cowboy:

thats about what we get for them to. and buy the end of it your wishing for a little cold to get rid of them.

Latest posts