Butchering a 2 y/o heifer/cow?

Help Support CattleToday:

Arkieman

Reaction score
Just had to pull a dead calf from a 2 y/o heifer. I was out of town (long story). In addition to the pull, she has a horrible bag! (she's a cull on the bag alone!) I was considering butchering her once she gets back into condition. Any comments/suggestions? Thanks in advance.

KNERSIE":wvjus77c said:
Feed her well for two months and you should be very happy with the meat

As usual, late for the party, I would worm her also, watch the slaughter date..... But

X3 :nod:

I actually go look for these type of heifers at the sale barn. Fatten them up and sell for locker beef. I never have any complaints about the meat. They eat real good.

After thinking about your 2 yr old heifer I got to wondering, what it is about her udder that is bad? Big teats, loose attachment or just small without development? I ask for my own education, I had a 2 year old heifer, well bred, after her first calf little or no udder development, she did milk and raise a small calf. Her second calf, her udder was a little better and her calf weaned a little better, but well under my expected avg. she now has her 3rd calf on the ground her udder looks good and her calf is in the top two or three at two months old a very nice looking heifer calf. At this point I'm glad I had the room in the herd and held on to her.

So is why I'm curious to what type of udder problem, dead calves happen, I pulled a dead one a few weeks ago from my best cow who has had 6 or 7 of them on the ground. She gave me a nice pair of twin heifers last season.

Thanks,
Alan

Alan - If you're old enough to remember coke in 12 oz bottles, well the teats looked like 4 coke bottles hanging down from the bag! I'll try to remember to get a pic of it today and post it up.

Btw - what slaughter date are you referring to?

Arkieman":3nqelnxy said:
Alan - If you're old enough to remember coke in 12 oz bottles, well the teats looked like 4 coke bottles hanging down from the bag! I'll try to remember to get a pic of it today and post it up.

He's probably referring to making sure the worming (if you do it) and any vaccinations and or meds have had the withholding times satisfied.

Alan":38q9le1z said:
After thinking about your 2 yr old heifer I got to wondering, what it is about her udder that is bad? Big teats, loose attachment or just small without development? I ask for my own education, I had a 2 year old heifer, well bred, after her first calf little or no udder development, she did milk and raise a small calf. Her second calf, her udder was a little better and her calf weaned a little better, but well under my expected avg. she now has her 3rd calf on the ground her udder looks good and her calf is in the top two or three at two months old a very nice looking heifer calf. At this point I'm glad I had the room in the herd and held on to her.

So is why I'm curious to what type of udder problem, dead calves happen, I pulled a dead one a few weeks ago from my best cow who has had 6 or 7 of them on the ground. She gave me a nice pair of twin heifers last season.

Thanks,
Alan

Moler daughter?

Arkieman":yx2z3lnq said:

In that case, put her in the freezer she is young and should be great and yes, at 54, I have drank a lot of coke out of the bottle and with peanuts tossed in at times. As far as slaughter date I was referring to the time it takes from worming to okay to slaughter, I believe Ivomec inj. Is 46 days but make sure to check. Why feed and eat parasites?

Alan

KNERSIE":1mnlvtrf said:
Alan":1mnlvtrf said:

Thanks,
Alan

Moler daughter?

Yes, a very nice 326 daughter at her side with lots of growth....... So far. Not to muddy the waters at this point.

Alan

Arkieman":1qsdsyum said:

I'm almost afraid to ask, but what breed is she?

I just butchered a 2 year old that failed to breed hanging weight was 665 . This will be my first completely grass fed and finished .

i did a too fat 2 yr old on grass alone..best meat we ever ate..and we do 4 or 5 a yr for sale..if heifers couldnt breed they;d be better than steers

KNERSIE":1re2ohy9 said:
Arkieman":1re2ohy9 said:

I'm almost afraid to ask, but what breed is she?

I bought her momma as a bred heifer. Her momma is a black crossbred cow and was bred to registered angus bull. The heifer is red and I had her bred to a hereford bull. The calf we pulled was a bwf bull calf.

Here's a pic! She's already started to dry up a little. You should have seen it the day after - :shock:

udder.jpg

Latest posts