Business Expansion

Help Support CattleToday:

Sky, i know little about fish farming. Saw a set up one time where a guy was using waste water from ethanol plant to heat the fish. Seeme like a good idea to me.

I heard a couple weeks ago that there are changes in the works to change regulatory oversight for fish. I believe from FDA to USDA if I am not mistaken, which will have effects that the industry is apparently not happy about.

Commercialfarmer":2oi8txtw said:
Sky, i know little about fish farming. Saw a set up one time where a guy was using waste water from ethanol plant to heat the fish. Seeme like a good idea to me.

I heard a couple weeks ago that there are changes in the works to change regulatory oversight for fish. I believe from FDA to USDA if I am not mistaken, which will have effects that the industry is apparently not happy about.

Whenever the govt gets involved best believe its some bs

I bought a batch of eyed trout eggs from this place about 10 years ago. http://www.troutlodge.com/ I don't remember the price, (seems like it was less than $400.00) but I do remember the minimum order was 30,000 eggs. They hatch in about a week, takes about another week for them to absorb their yolksac, then you go to feeding them. I raised them in wooden boxes up to 1", then in stainless steel milk tanks to 3" then into the raceway. I did sell them for people to stock their ponds, never had anyone come and fish for them themselves. Seems like starting with 30,000 eggs, ended up with about 10,000 8-10" ready to sell. I did keep some up to 14", but they will eat you out of house and home. Plus, a 14" fish costs the buyer 2x as much as a 10".

One thing I remember is you will need a way to grade your fish for size. You will always get some that will grow crazy fast and feast on the smaller ones.

millstreaminn":18enxz34 said:
I bought a batch of eyed trout eggs from this place about 10 years ago. http://www.troutlodge.com/ I don't remember the price, (seems like it was less than $400.00) but I do remember the minimum order was 30,000 eggs. They hatch in about a week, takes about another week for them to absorb their yolksac, then you go to feeding them. I raised them in wooden boxes up to 1", then in stainless steel milk tanks to 3" then into the raceway. I did sell them for people to stock their ponds, never had anyone come and fish for them themselves. Seems like starting with 30,000 eggs, ended up with about 10,000 8-10" ready to sell. I did keep some up to 14", but they will eat you out of house and home. Plus, a 14" fish costs the buyer 2x as much as a 10".

One thing I remember is you will need a way to grade your fish for size. You will always get some that will grow crazy fast and feast on the smaller ones.
Wow. Sounds like a moneymaker :)

Latest posts