Bush-Hog?

Help Support CattleToday:

Z&J Cattle

Reaction score
I have a quick question for you guys and gals. We are looking at getting a larger bush-hog so we can be more efficient in clipping the pastures. We have located a "Bush-Hog" brand 15' rigid type 3-point hitch cutter. Our tractor is a JD 4020 with a loader. Here is my question. A friend of mine tells me that this will be too much bush hog for the tractor. Not that the tractor won't run it, but that it will be too heavy and potentially dangerous. Our topography here is just gentle rolling hills with some level areas. Does anybody have any input on this before we spend a large chunk of $$$. My friend tells me that I will be better off with a batwing. Probably so, but they are going for about three times as high as the rigid type that we are looking at. Any advice greatly appreciated as always.

Z&J

We hae both the 9' and 15' pull behind Bush Hogs.

We use an old azz, worn out, Ford 5000 with the 9' which is what we do the nasty work with. You can cut some big stuff down with those things.

We use a 90hp New Holland with the bat-wing no problems in the pasture.

I'd listen to your friend. You're asking for trouble. My grandpa had a 15' rigid pull-type, I don't think there's 5 acres in our county flat enough to keep that thing from scalping.

cfpinz

I agree with your friend.We bought a Woods BW 180 15 ft. batwing.It was at least $3000 less than a Bush Hog.So far it seems to be okay. We pull it with a 4020.I sympathize with wanting to go a cheaper route ,but I doubt if it will work very well. Just too much weight.

Larry

I have a 1954 model Servis cutter that is indeed a brush hog. I am not referring to "Bush Hog" brand, but rather a brush hog. It has 28 inches of deck above the blades and can mow through mesquite, oak, sumac, bois' darc, and most any hardwood up to 6 inch diameter, without getting choked down. It is all about clearance above the blade and blade design.

Most anything you buy with a bat wing only has 6 to 8 inches of deck above the blades. They are great for mowing weeds, vines and such to clean up existing pasture. But if you are truly considering something for mowing through brush, you need much more deck above the blades in order to prevent clogging up and choking down the unit, based on my experience.

Servis was bought out by Rhino some time in the 60's or so. Rhino makes good brush hogs, but I haven't seen any unit that compares to the old Servis brand.

i would never buy a 15ft rigid 3pt cutter.that is way to much wight on the 3pt tobe lifting.it would blow your hydrolics in a heartbeat.get a pull type 15ft cutter.

I agree a 15 ft flatdeck 3 pt would be hard on most anything. Plus you have to be careful going in and out of pastures, traveling on the road (if you do) ect. We have a 15 ft batwing that I love and a 10 ft offset flatdeck and I hate that thing, I'd sure hate a 15 ft. Also I would suggest you take the loader off when you shred - or at the very least the bucket. Less wear and tear on the tractor.

I would think if you took the loader off you wouldn't be able to lift a 15' cutter at all. I use a 7' and it makes the front of a JD 6300 pretty light, even with the loader.

We had one of those things YEARS ago.. sold it for scrap. If you need a 15', get a batwing. They are WELL worth the extra $$. The rigid ones will scrape and cut uneven, no matter how level your terrain. And you'll never be able to get it through most gates.

I looked at it again today and it definitely IS the type that can be easily converted to a drag type. It has an adjustable turnbuckle that raises and lowers the guage wheels in the back. All that has to be done is to take the pins out and replace the turnbuckle with a hydraulic cylinder, change out the 3-point mount and install a tongue. Does this change anyone's opinion knowing this now. Obviously I know the batwing is more desirable, but way more costly. Will the rigid 15 footer do OK as a drag type? Thanks for all the input on this.

I would rather have the towed behind batwing. Our nit whit city purchased two rigid 15' cutters to mow the road right of ways. Since they don't deal with slopes well, I could do the same job faster with a six foot cutter; not too mention a disk mower. Ok as a field cutter; but seriously limited. That said I think a 4020 should handle that rig just fine. Too big for a 4020??? Not likely.

Latest posts