burning and broomsage

Help Support CattleToday:

Redman

Reaction score
I have a neighbor that would like to have her pasture burnt off, to help control broomsage. Do you all think burning will help ? She did not have broomsage very much until we burnt it a few years back.

I am not an expert, but we do,did have broomsage. We have been told it's caused by lack of Calcium(Lime). We have also been told that here in SC KY it was quite popular to burn off broomsage in the spring. What is actually done was warm the ground and make it come on faster in the spring.

The best way that I have found to control broomsedge is to attempt to grow it. Get the PH correct and apply some fertilizer and watch the plant die off.

To affect any grass by burning you have to burn at the right time. WSG like broom sedge needs to be burned in the summer when it's young and just starting to grow well. If you burn this time of year you'll affect the CSGs and not affect the broom sedge

I passed a guy the other day that was burning a field with broomsedge in it. He burns fields every few years. He always has broomsedge. Like others have said, if you'll get your pH and soil nutrition levels up, you'll have less Broomsedge. Also, if you can increase your grazing pressure, you can force the cows to eat the broomsedge (when it's green) along with the more desirable grasses. It really only grows so well because pastures aren't amended properly and rotational grazing isn't utilized as it should be.

I called it a pasture, but really is a vacant grassy lot, that isn't being used for an agricultural purposes. It is about 7 acres. It is an older lady who doesn't want to add lime or fertlize, but also doesn't like the weeds.

I acquired a hay meadow last year that hasn't been cut for a few years . Full of broom sage . I burnt it after the grass started to green up . The first 2 times I cut it didn't see any but I let it go about 2 months on the last cut because of lack of rain and the broom sage was 18 inches . Burning only seems to clear it away about like mowing .