Burger Ques. # 2

Help Support CattleToday:

bird dog

Reaction score
If you are having a animal totally ground into hamburger, does the butcher hang it and age it like a carcass that is cut into steaks?

depends on the butcher . Talk with h your butcher about it to find out what he does.
And if you have options of letting them hang longer. Some will only let them hang for seven days . Some let them hang same regardless of all burger vs choice of cuts.

Its a small town butcher that does not have a very big cooler or large animal killing pens. He mostly butchers hogs, and deer. For full size animals, he uses a neighboring USDA facility that kills the animal then hangs it for 15 days or so. He picks it up from them. Before I ask him if he could do my small heifer in house, I was curious for a answer to my question.

Grinding them for hamburger 7 days is just fine. We've done plenty of emergencies over the years and always just ground them.

Hanging for a week or longer will lessen the gas content of meat. Tenzderness can be achieved with the grinder so that is a non issue.

Latest posts