Freezer is full and 1/2 beef coming, canning?

Help Support CattleToday:

Till-Hill

Reaction score
What's your best beef canning ideas? Never canned beef, grandma and father in law have and are coming to help.

Roasts and burger is what I would like to can, I'll make room for steaks!

Best to get meat from locker before it's froze? Thinking all the roasts from the 1/2 beef and 50# burger?

Father in law has a pressure cooker.......

Wife wants a induction sealer? $300 tho, worth it for this beef and garden stuff next summer?

Canning meat is easy in pressure cooker. Use quart jars with meat chunks. No fluid. 1 teaspoon salt on top. Seal. Cook for 1 hour 15 minutes at ten lbs pressure. Let cool. You will hear a thunk as jars seal. It will have meat juices in the jar that makes fantastic gravy. Venison, beef, fish, chicken all do fine.

What's your best beef canning ideas? Never canned beef, grandma and father in law have and are coming to help.

Roasts and burger is what I would like to can, I'll make room for steaks!

Best to get meat from locker before it's froze? Thinking all the roasts from the 1/2 beef and 50# burger?

Father in law has a pressure cooker.......

Wife wants a induction sealer? $300 tho, worth it for this beef and garden stuff next summer?
You may have miss stated the pressure cooker. You'll need a pressure canner. Make sure thats what you use.

I can all kinds of meat.
When I can beef I like to use bullion or Worcestershire sauce.
To 1 quart I put a little onion 1- tsp salt and either 1 bullion cube or 1- tbls of Worcestershire sauce all raw packed and no liquid added, it makes it own.
It's very handy to have.
One night our 3 boys showed up with their families unexpected, I heated up our canned beef, potatoes and carrots, instant pot roast.

My wife cans lots of stew meat, which turns out great. We have tried ground beef and it turned out like canned dog food, couldn't make ourselves eat it. Good luck.

My wife cans lots of stew meat, which turns out great. We have tried ground beef and it turned out like canned dog food, couldn't make ourselves eat it. Good luck.
A lot of people turn their noses up at canned meats.. I canned carp once. It made the bones edible, like canned salmon bones. I wanted to see how it worked because if the SHTF, seeing we're near a river, we'll never starve.

A lot of people turn their noses up at canned meats.. I canned carp once. It made the bones edible, like canned salmon bones. I wanted to see how it worked because if the SHTF, seeing we're near a river, we'll never starve.
When I was a kid there was a lady between the river and my house that would take all the carp we caught to can. Good way to lighten my heavy load.

The majority of canned salmon you buy in the store is canned Pink salmon. In Alaska pink salmon are used exclusively for dog food. I lived in salmon country all my life. If I never eat another salmon in my life it will be too soon. Especially canned salmon. My Dad ran a plywood mill. The man working on the log pond would catch squaw fish which nobody eats because they have way too many bones. He would can it which dissolved the bones and used it like Tuna to make sandwiches.

Well it took us 2 days and help of Grandmother in law and father in law. 2 pressure cookers and we got 150# of the trimmings all canned. Locker cubed it for me. Little salt and beef bullion in each jar, cold packed and 75 min in pressure cooker I think she did. Made mostly just meat in jar. Did a few stew and we had one of them for supper last night. Gosh that was good.

We did about 10# of coarse ground hamburger to try and I'll agree it looks like spam! Seasoned it really well and browned the burger. Will try it and let you know!

My wife cans a good portion of any deer I shoot. As someone said it can make for a good meal pretty quickly. I asked her about a bunch of beef that her and her mom canned when a freezer went bad. She said the hamburger they made into one inch meat balls, browned them, and then canned them.
We do this with my wife's Italian meatballs. Canned meat of any kind is great but venison or elk is the bomb. Heat and serve over mashed potatoes with green beans, corn or carrots… man, that fine!

Latest posts