Bum Leg Bull

Help Support CattleToday:

rockroadseminole

Reaction score
Went to check the cows this morning, and one of our yearling bulls (that we went all the way to Kansas to buy) is hobbling around. It is his front right leg. Doesn't seem to be foot rot, due to no swelling on the foot. He won't put any weight on it at all. He is sort of dragging it and hopping on the other foot. About the time I got my camera out he had laid down. Figured I would leave him alone until this evening when it cools off; then try to get him in the chute for inspection.

Ideas?

Seems to me like it is shoulder related. I'm thinking pain killer, maybe antibiotics, and maybe he'll come out of it...

Is he with other bulls? Possibly a breeding injury. Hope you find something when you get him in the chute but I wouldn't give him antibiotics unless he has a temp or you notice an injury, like a cut, that has become infected. Aspirin, Banamine, Dex or even DMSO for pain & swelling.

Thanks TC! I hope I find something in his foot this evening. He has been with another bull, but I've rarely seen them do anything other than goof off with one another. All of our cows are bred too, so I don't know what they would be fighting about. Who knows though...

Just thought of something: we had a 2 year old bull come up lame last year, didn't notice any swelling around the hoof or stifle but a little around the hock, figured he tweaked it sparring w/the other bulls. Got him in the chute & his hoof was fine, no rocks or anything wedged, no foot rot, but the hock just didn't feel right. Gave him aspirin 2 times a day for a couple days but wasn't getting any better so we hauled him to the vet. He couldn't figure it out either but knew something wasn't right so he shaved the hock & found a scar that was completely healed, cut open the hock & pus just came shooting out. Beyond nasty! Condensed version: over the course of almost a month we pumped that bull full of Excenel, Penicillin, Excede, Sustain & the vet even cut another hole on the other side of the hock & ran a tube through so it would continue to drain. Finally healed & no residual effects (plus he's my fave).

Good luck, keep us posted!

A little late on the reply.

Shoulder was swollen pretty bad. Foot looked fine. Gave him anti-inflammatory pain medicine and some antibiotics (figured it couldn't hurt). After two days, no real change. He's still eating, up and down, Etc. I'll give another update soon.

Gave him some more Prevail today. Swelling seems to be working its way down. Still no noticeable improvement. Still dragging leg, but every now and then he will limp on it. Eating, drinking, etc... Hopefully by month end we will see some improvement.

This is the good shoulder view.

rockroadseminole":pgl7attd said:
Went to check the cows this morning, and one of our yearling bulls (that we went all the way to Kansas to buy) is hobbling around. It is his front right leg. Doesn't seem to be foot rot, due to no swelling on the foot. He won't put any weight on it at all. He is sort of dragging it and hopping on the other foot. About the time I got my camera out he had laid down. Figured I would leave him alone until this evening when it cools off; then try to get him in the chute for inspection.

Ideas?

Seems to me like it is shoulder related. I'm thinking pain killer, maybe antibiotics, and maybe he'll come out of it...

Just a point: Foot Rot in early stage is not always accompanied by swelling. You see them limp but no swelling. Get them in a chute, raise their foot, spread their toes and there is foot rot. You also smell it. Treat them with LA 300, gone in 3 days.

NOT foot rot in this case, I only wanted to share that foot rot does not always exhibit swelling that can be seen.

I had a nice bull a good many years ago and was trying to get him in a lot one wet day. When he finally decided to go in after a pretty good distance of walking (and it was a downhill grade into the lot) he burst into a run, galloped through the gate, braced his front legs and slid to a halt. He left skid marks for about 5 or 6 feet from his front hooves. He pulled up as extremely lame on the right front. The problem was in his shoulder and he drug his entire leg around like it was very sore. I did not plan to, but I left him in the lot, and fed him and put water close even though there was grazing and a trough in the lot. It took about 2 months but he got well and I used him several more seasons and never saw a limp afterwards. So, was it a torn muscle? Don't know but I hope that the story is somewhat encouraging.

Ebenezer, it is nice to hear a positive outcome is a possibility! I reckon it won't hurt anything to let him hang out in our holding pen for a few months.

Well today makes it one month since he first got the bum leg. Not a whole lot of progress. We have kept him penned up. He is eating/drinking fine still. Doesn't have problems getting up/down/around, but will still not use that leg. I can't decide if he is getting better, or just getting better at hopping on three legs. I have also decided that it is not his shoulder, but his "knee". Got to be a torn something. Don't really know what to do at this point but wait another month. His will to live is definitely there. He in fact escaped from the pen via opening a bow gate on his own yesterday. Didn't get real far, but I saw it as a good sign. Any idea of other options? Patience is not my strong-suit... :deadhorse: :help:

rockroadseminole":13l0po6v said:

Well today makes it one month since he first got the bum leg. Not a whole lot of progress. We have kept him penned up. He is eating/drinking fine still. Doesn't have problems getting up/down/around, but will still not use that leg. I can't decide if he is getting better, or just getting better at hopping on three legs. I have also decided that it is not his shoulder, but his "knee". Got to be a torn something. Don't really know what to do at this point but wait another month. His will to live is definitely there. He in fact escaped from the pen via opening a bow gate on his own yesterday. Didn't get real far, but I saw it as a good sign. Any idea of other options? Patience is not my strong-suit... :deadhorse: :help:
What breed is he?

What breed is he?[/quote]

PB94 Registered Gelbvieh. Born 03/15. Poor guy hasn't even had a chance to run with the ladies yet...

Don't want to be a pessimist, but it might not be a bad idea to start thinking about putting him in the freezer.

I have a bull right now in the same boat. I treated right away for footrot with my usual oxytet - no luck. Vet came out and gave Draxxin. We'll see. He also suggested it could be an absess in the foot. may need to drill to relieve if the draxxin doesn't work. Problem with lameness is sometimes you just don't know. In my world, if he isn't better after the withdrawal time on the meds, he's going to the freezer. Great bull. But there's a lot of great bulls out there.

cowgirl8":2ecgkv59 said:
Have you taken him to the vet?

If you're asking me - the vet just left. He injected the draxxin in hope it was a tough case of footrot but due to the severity of the lameness and the lack of acrid tissue between the toes it's likely something else. The lameness is in the front foot and my squeeze chute did not permit the vet to drill for a potential abscess. Vet said if not improved in a couple days, bring a guy out with a table. That said, it could be shoulder, joint, anything - running with a group of 10 bulls so who knows why these beasts come up lame.... we'll see what thursday brings.

angus9259":2ycu1f6m said:
cowgirl8":2ycu1f6m said:
Have you taken him to the vet?

If you're asking me - the vet just left. He injected the draxxin in hope it was a tough case of footrot but due to the severity of the lameness and the lack of acrid tissue between the toes it's likely something else. The lameness is in the front foot and my squeeze chute did not permit the vet to drill for a potential abscess. Vet said if not improved in a couple days, bring a guy out with a table. That said, it could be shoulder, joint, anything - running with a group of 10 bulls so who knows why these beasts come up lame.... we'll see what thursday brings.
I was actually asking OP...but glad you got the vet out for yours.

Looks like a brachial plexus injury to me - the big bundle of nerves that supplies the foreleg got damaged somehow... looks like the shoulder is dropped... lots of muscle wasting due to lack of innervation - see how prominent the spine of his scapula is? I'm guessing he's not able to 'advance' that foot, just kind of drags it along?
Even without being there, the photos tell a story that's not 'footrot'. Sadly, this is unlikely to get better.

I'd start thinking about an appointment at the local custom slaughter facility... but be sure you research withdrawal times for any drugs you've administered... and be aware that if you gave them by other than approved route that the label 'withdrawal' will not necessarily be as stated on the bottle - for example, a single injection of flunixin(banamine/prevail, etc.) by the approved IV route has a slaughter withdrawal of 4 days... but if you give that single dose IM... you're looking at 30 days... and more than one dose ups it from there.