Bulls

Help Support CattleToday:

JHH

Reaction score
Is there a such thing as a lazy breeder? I just had my bull checked and he checked great. My calves are a little strung out this time.

The first crop from him was all just 45 days and done. This year is going to be at least 60 days. Some of that is because he ran a thorn in his eye last year and I had to pull him out for 30 days so I guess it isnt all his fault. But I would have thought that when I started again I would be all done in about 35 days ( 7 head)

I sure am not liking being strung out like this. I had them all grouped up really nice for the last 3 years.

JHH":1n6o4w6e said:
Is there a such thing as a lazy breeder? I just had my bull checked and he checked great. My calves are a little strung out this time.

The first crop from him was all just 45 days and done. This year is going to be at least 60 days. Some of that is because he ran a thorn in his eye last year and I had to pull him out for 30 days so I guess it isnt all his fault. But I would have thought that when I started again I would be all done in about 35 days ( 7 head)

I sure am not liking being strung out like this. I had them all grouped up really nice for the last 3 years.

I think you may have answered your own question. Could be your cows too. My cows came off the fescue in Mo last spring and looked like crap. Only one raised a great calf and she is the one that ended up breeding back the latest.

JHH yes I believe there are lazy breeders.
That Churchill bull of ours was one.
Took 75 days with him alone. Went out and found 5-6 cows bulling on him and he was ignoring them.
Only got 45 calves. :roll:

This year we were done in 54 days had another bull out with him.

if your bull has gotten tobe a lazy breeder,theres only 2 things you can do.1.he is bored,so you could put him with a new bunch of cows.2.you could haul him to the barn an get a new bull.

wbvs58":2je8kea7 said:
You may have had something like Vibrio where cows lost early pregnancies and returned to bull.

I dont think so but anything is possible. I vacinate the cows and calves. Bull was a virgin bull and all bulls brought in have been virgin bulls. I did however buy a couple of cows that were bred and I havent had them tested for anything.

Latest posts