Bulls just take the Pain?

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
I am having some issues with single strand fences at 5,300 to 6,800 volts. The ground is frozen but there is no snow. I thought the deer were causing the problems - - but yesterday I caught one my bulls in the next paddock. He wanted to come back and visit me. So I watched while he walked the fence line, then picked a spot, put his head down, and walked under it. :nod:

Is the grounding that bad or is he just a tough animal?

I had one steer years ago that seemed to be immune to hotwire. Even 9kvolts and it never faszed him. You might want to try for a reading with one of the meters that you have to put a ground probe in thee grond for it to work. That should tell you the effective voltage. The ones that you can take a reading with just contacting the hot wire are nice but they sometimes aren;t as accuarte as the ones with the grounding probe

dun":21t8yj5p said:
You might want to try for a reading with one of the meters that you have to put a ground probe in thee grond for it to work. That should tell you the effective voltage. The ones that you can take a reading with just contacting the hot wire are nice but they sometimes aren;t as accuarte as the ones with the grounding probe

Red Bull checked the fence with his nose before going under it - - so he must be using your ground probe method!

you need voltage and amperage for an effective shock, the amperage is what makes it hurt, the voltage makes it jump a long distance to get through the fur.

Frozen ground isn't a great conductor, which mean the amperage that can flow through it is reduced.

If you can, a 3 wire system with a ground wire will work better.

Stocker Steve":dndeoja6 said:
Aaron":dndeoja6 said:
What gauge is the single strand?

12 Gauge high tensile.

It should be working then (carrying enough current). It has to be your ground, or something is grounding the power out.

Nesikep":dndeoja6 said:
you need voltage and amperage for an effective shock, the amperage is what makes it hurt, the voltage makes it jump a long distance to get through the fur.

Frozen ground isn't a great conductor, which mean the amperage that can flow through it is reduced.

If you can, a 3 wire system with a ground wire will work better.

Frozen ground isn't a problem for insulating, it's a heavy layer of snow that does it, which isn't an issue here.

I run two strand hot on much of my pastures but have had a couple of cattle do the same thing. In my case it was always the fence, I may get 6 to 7k where I was testing but I learned to test where they were going under and it was not very hot. I agree with frozen ground but the fence should still stay hot enough, granted my frozen ground is not like the boys up north of me. But for me it just took a little walking fence line.

Alan":2pcsrsdp said:
I run two strand hot on much of my pastures but have had a couple of cattle do the same thing. In my case it was always the fence, I may get 6 to 7k where I was testing but I learned to test where they were going under and it was not very hot. I agree with frozen ground but the fence should still stay hot enough, granted my frozen ground is not like the boys up north of me. But for me it just took a little walking fence line.

You ran a lead with a probe down to the soil for testing voltage ?

Stocker Steve":n93p542u said:
Alan":n93p542u said:

You ran a lead with a probe down to the soil for testing voltage ?
That's all there used to be.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/z ... nce-tester

Nah that'll just get them licking around the fenceline.

In winter I don't even have my fence on. I leave gates open most days.. As long as the cows have what they want in their little area, mine don't stray far at all.

6k should be a good wallop, they arent grounding themselves if they are touching that. Even electric string should do the trick temporarily to ground a 2nd wire just above the first.

I find if I have really hot hot wire someplace that my bulls encounter regularily, they don't mess with
my out door fences, which don't seem to do much when its super cold and the cattle are super hairy.

Inside my loafing shed I have 60 ft of single strand hotwire, round bales behind it. There is a 10 mile fencer hooked up to the 60 ft, and a good ground. That fence is REALLY hot. :roll:

The outdoor lines near there aren't even plugged in. Nobody touches the wire. :nod:

Stocker Steve":230kwnoe said:
I am having some issues with single strand fences at 5,300 to 6,800 volts. The ground is frozen but there is no snow. I thought the deer were causing the problems - - but yesterday I caught one my bulls in the next paddock. He wanted to come back and visit me. So I watched while he walked the fence line, then picked a spot, put his head down, and walked under it. :nod:

Is the grounding that bad or is he just a tough animal?

I had my fence hotter than the hinges to the gates of heII running 14,000 volt's
4 stands as well.
When he decided to go through would just beller and push on through.
That caused him to go to the salebarn. Fence electric or not didn't matter
when he decided to go visit. I came to the conclusion it just doesn't work on some.

We had the front pasture divided by a singl strand of polywire and the neighbors hot heifers jumped his fence and came to visit. The would stand right along side of the wire and mount wach other. Our poor bull stood about 20 feet away from the wire and moaned most all of tthe day. The next morning they had jumped back into the right pasture. I sure felt sorry for the bull that day. Next time they were in heat they jumped the fence the other direction and got bred by another neighbors beefmasterxholsteinxlonghorn bull.

Latest posts