Bull's feet

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
I am noticing that many bulls front feet slightly turn out. Usually not real bad, but I do look for it. I don't see it interfereing with their movement, but I would like to know if this is a trait that you pretty much can expect? Then I notice the cows seem to stand straight. I wonder if it is in the weight factor.

Let me humor you for a minute. This is only a guess and I'm answering based on my knowledge of (human)athletes.
I dont know much about bulls, but I think of bulls as being athletic and I can tell you that most good athletes are slightly pigeon toed(feet turned in). I have never seen an athlete who walks with ther feet slightly turned out. I've seen obese people walk that way and it leads to knee and ankle problems. With that said and having little to no knowledge of the anatomy of a bull(or anything else concerning cattle :) ). If 2 bulls were equal in all areas with the only difference between them was one stands or walks with feet slightly turned in and the other slightly turned out. I would take the bull with the feet slightly turned in every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

Go easy on me. Sometimes I cant help myself.

9er, I have never seen a pidgeon toed bull before. But I do notice in many of the fliers that I receive about sales, in magazines etc.... that it looks like the bulls toes turn slightly out. Let me see if I can find a picture of one where they don't try to hide it with grass or from the angle of the picture. I noticed that very few show a straight front shot or if they do, it is hidden. I went to a local sale and looked at the bulls feet and I noticed it there too.
When I watch other men walk, they walk with their feet turned outwards. I guess I am used to seeing horses walking straight. The bulls that I see with their toes turned slightly out, stand that way, but when they walk, it doesn't show up in their gait.

9er, I am going to be light on you. :D Here is a picture of a Hereford bull that slightly toes out also. A little more so on his right leg from the knee down. This was the only bull picture I could find without spending an hour or so trying to dig one up. I guess I had not noticed it much before now, but when I do visit other people's farms. I see them as little as this bull or even a little more so. And on the athelet's I notice them standing with their feet pointed out too.
herefordbullII.jpg

team.jpg

Chuckie":pa3dd70q said:
9er, I am going to be light on you. :D Here is a picture of a Hereford bull that slightly toes out also. A little more so on his right leg from the knee down. This was the only bull picture I could find without spending an hour or so trying to dig one up. I guess I had not noticed it much before now, but when I do visit other people's farms. I see them as little as this bull or even a little more so. And on the athelet's I notice them standing with their feet pointed out too.
herefordbullII.jpg

team.jpg
thanks for taking it easy on me. Like I said, I dont know squat about cattle. I only know about history and athletes and I dont know which ones you've been looking at, but I can tell you that most of the top athletes walk slightly pigeon toed. If someone walks with their feet pointed slightly out then you can rest assured that that person is probably not a good athlete.
Some of yall can tell by looking at a cow whether or not if it's worth a darn. Well I can basicaly do the same with people.

9 ER, I don't know much either about cows, but there are a lot of geniuses here that I hope to learn from. When I do, I feel for sure that I will become a millionaire! :)

9 ER
Maybe you have just explained why I was never any good at sports like basketball, football, running, etc.
But what about rodeo cowboys? I suspect that it would be different there. Especially with bull and bronc riders.

Latest posts