Bad Feet

Help Support CattleToday:

Bestoutwest

Reaction score
I see it here all the time: Watch out for bad feet. For us newbie folks, can someone post a picture of bad feet? For me, I'm visual, so that would be the best way to 'learn' it.

Thanks

All my cows NOW have good feet, so I can't provide you with pictures... I can try and describe it though

Good? they look like they walk on their toes, not their heels, the front of the hoof doesn't curve up, and the toes keep themselves worn correctly. Toes curl slightly toward each other too.
Bad? They walk on their heels, the toes curve upward, causing them to grow long and need trimming and attention.

There's probably some variation for what is good depending on the ground they walk on, etc, but this is a good start.

Nesikep":2sy0ml7c said:
All my cows NOW have good feet, so I can't provide you with pictures... I can try and describe it though

Good? they look like they walk on their toes, not their heels, the front of the hoof doesn't curve up, and the toes keep themselves worn correctly. Toes curl slightly toward each other too.
Bad? They walk on their heels, the toes curve upward, causing them to grow long and need trimming and attention.

There's probably some variation for what is good depending on the ground they walk on, etc, but this is a good start.

Same here. Had one particular cow line that was notorious for bad feet, but bred to the right bull each time, I have brought the descendants in line with the rest of the herd. Feet and udder quality are the most important traits in a cow -'Experts' like to say traits like fertility are number one, but only if you like (and have the time) helping a calf suck a crippled-up cow.

A lot about fertility has to do with (mis)management as well.

From our original cows, we had an awesome producer that had a horrid udder, always needed hoof trimming, and was prolapse prone... 5 generations down the line we've fixed the bad feet, bad udders, and most of the prolapses, but production isn't the same anymore... Meanwhile we had an average producing cow that had great feet and udder, only 3 generations down the line I now have average to great producers, still have good feet, and the udders are all picture perfect. I get a lot of satisfaction from nice looking cows, and bad udders, hooves, teats, etc are an eyesore to me as well.
I still help the odd calf suck, but since they're mostly quiet and cooperative, it's a 5 minute job and then I can go back to bed and not have to wonder if they got anything in the morning... they tend to turn out smarter if they get a full belly quickly too