Bull's evening stroll

Help Support CattleToday:

mdmdogs3

Reaction score
I went to give the ladies a drink (they were getting some precautionary Corid)
driving up to the pond area (where there shouldn't have been any animals) there stood the bull - looking mighty pleased with himself I might add :roll:
I thought - who left open the gate - but wait the gate would have put him out with the ladies.
drove up by the old barn and a boarded up wooden gate (3 foot people gate) had been knocked open (busted boards) ... so this is where the escaped occurred ;-)
proceeded to fill the tank and doing so I sat on some concrete and gave the horse some scratching while I waited (150 gallons)
I noticed that the bull had come up to the truck and was checking it for cubes but then I didn't see him anymore until he appeared back in the correct pasture. Just as cool as a cucumber - He had gone back in the same way he had gotten out.
Well now that wooden gate is reinforced.

apparently he was just out for his evening stroll and I had gotten there in the middle :cboy:

what kind of animals do you have? i need some of them. mine are all smart enough to get out but too dumb to get back in.

Beefy.. I always thought when mine got out.. they were too smart to NOT go back in.

It always seems if I want them to go through a 16 ft opening they won't go near it but if there's a little bitty open spot I don't want them to go through they always do!

We keep our bulls in a corral for the winter they are fence to fence with the cows. We've never had a problem. Well one day they managed to get out the gate maybe we didn't latch it properly or something. My mother was alone and wondering how she was ever going to get them back in from the cows (all pregnant). She finished her morning coffee and headed out, dreading the day. Got out there and there were two bulls hanging out in the corral eating off their bale. As my husband said, the cows were pregnant why would they want to be in the field with a bunch of hormonal ladies when they can be in the corral sleeping in straw with large amounts of food just waiting to be eaten. Sounded logical to me too.

My gals can squeeze through an 18 inch opening to get where you don't want them to be BUT need a 16 foot gate wide open to get back to where they belong.

Texas Gal":2aw2dajs said:
My gals can squeeze through an 18 inch opening to get where you don't want them to be BUT need a 16 foot gate wide open to get back to where they belong.
thats for sure.. ive seen em in about the worse situations you could imagine .but one that sticks in my mind. is having one crawl under a panel like a rat under a door. heck it would be hard for me too have done it

ALACOWMAN":4p9zdigp said:
Texas Gal":4p9zdigp said:
thats for sure.. ive seen em in about the worse situations you could imagine .but one that sticks in my mind. is having one crawl under a panel like a rat under a door. heck it would be hard for me too have done it

A "Jumper" is what I hate worse than anything. :mad:

My neighbor down the road has a Brangus bull that crawled over and out of a 6 foot high pipe catchpen one day.

When he got to the end of the alley at the sale barn he went over it and hasn't been seen since.

That reminds me of what happened last winter.Went in the cow /calf are to feed as usual don't close the gates behind me because they don't go anywhere their calves are there and the food is coming.Not today drove in got to the feed area and out of the corner of my eye see that 40 + cows were out and heading for the road.They weren't strolling but running like they new where they were going.By the time I got to my pick up they were coming back through the main gates of the propery at a full run.I ran back to their area and reopened the gates for them and in they all went.I don't know if they remembered that they forgot there calves or if all that snow on the road made them want to come back home.Continued to feed but made my border stay by the gates.I still don't close the gates usually when I feed if I am going in and out alot.Have sometimes gone out in the morning and the gates are wide open and the cows are still there.Try not to forget to close them but the odd time the old mind is not as sharp as it should be. :roll:

wow some of these posts are pretty interesting. havnt had nothing major happen, knock on wood, but we did have one that got a barn door open. and i cant stand how stupid but yet how smart they are to find their way back in the exact place they got out.

Latest posts