Bulls at home

Help Support CattleToday:

welshmatt88

Reaction score
Here a few pictures of bulls we use at home, aberdeen angus 24 months and Piedmontese 22 months what you think

Bull1.jpg

SP_A0003.jpg

SP_A0007.jpg

The Aberdeen angus bull looks very very nice, and it is a good pic.
The piedmontese bull wants his master to take a new photograph of him.
Both are fleshy for their breed; and seems to get along well!

I cant comment on the Pied but holey smokes thats some muscle, I did want to comment that in both pics, you should be able to see that the water on the windshield has distorted his legs badly from the hocks down, making the photo look funny, he is also facing down hill. the second pic he is facing downhill on a very steep hill and therefore not going to be squared up or posed very well. Sometimes you just have to look at the terrain to see why the pic looks funny.

5minpins":3cxi8nfw said:
I cant comment on the Pied but holey smokes thats some muscle, I did want to comment that in both pics, you should be able to see that the water on the windshield has distorted his legs badly from the hocks down, making the photo look funny, he is also facing down hill. the second pic he is facing downhill on a very steep hill and therefore not going to be squared up or posed very well. Sometimes you just have to look at the terrain to see why the pic looks funny.

I can see the terrain isn't level, I can see the distortion caused by the windshield, I can also see structural faults.

welshmatt88":td8ash35 said:
Yes i shall try to get better photo, could you comment further on the structural faults. thanks

Post a photo where he is standing on level ground and I'll gladly oblige.

It would appear that the ABERDEEN ANGUS has a different muscle structure(But) than the american blk angus. Sure would like to AI my Gelbvieh cows to him.

Just kiddin all you angus breeders. That sure is a nice but on that bull though.

The Pied is so different that I wouldn't even know what to look for.

The Pied looks like he's double muscled.. but I don't think that's a trait for that breed.

A better pic of him would show his structural soundness better.. his back legs seem under his body too much. You should be able to drop a line from his pins to his hocks to his ankles, which you couldn't come close to doing on him the way he looks in the pics. But no doubt he would look different on level ground.

TheBullLady":2vkaofss said:
The Pied looks like he's double muscled.. but I don't think that's a trait for that breed.

A better pic of him would show his structural soundness better.. his back legs seem under his body too much. You should be able to drop a line from his pins to his hocks to his ankles, which you couldn't come close to doing on him the way he looks in the pics. But no doubt he would look different on level ground.
It seems that we have a couple of situations here. Obviously, the bulls are standing on a hill - which situation causes the hind legs to be placed more under the body than if they were standing on level ground. That is a given. Secondly, the Piedmontese , I believe,is double-muscled, therefore his hindquarters will cause his hock placement to appear as if he is sickle-hocked - which he may be. BUT, the problem here is: at what point does sickle-hocked-ness become too sickle-hocked when analyzing a bull?

Bull Lady, you are correct with your "drop line" description, but the current thinking in regard to bulls is - a bull should be slightly sickle-hocked to allow his weight to be positioned correctly when mounting cows in order to prevent his eventually becoming "stifled". But how 'slight is 'slight'? A "stifled" bull will have his stifle joints (which are his 'knees'), along with the accompanying cartilage/ligaments, mal-formed or destroyed to the degree that he is no longer capable of breeding cows. The stifle joint is the 'knee' in a quadruped. The 'hock' is analogous to the heel in a human being.

I would like to see both bulls standing on level ground.

For what it is worth - of the two buIls, I would select the Angus bull as my choice for a sire.

DOC HARRIS

TheBullLady":11q3gozp said:

The Piedmontese breed is an enhanced muscle breed, they have a naturally occuring two copy Myostatin gene. This does not manifest until the calves are about a month to six weeks old. Really neat to watch the little guys pop!
This bull looks pretty good although the pictures are not ideal, how old is he? What is his breeding?

dun":e5a1bscs said:
DOC HARRIS":e5a1bscs said:
The stifle joint is the 'knee' in a quadruped. The 'hock' is analogous to the heel in a human being.

The hock is the hock the heel is the heel. Tw odifferent things.
http://www.ansci.cornell.edu/prodairy/h ... kscore.pdf

Well - - let's get really picky! Sheesh!

The Hock is analogous to the ANKLE in a human being.

The stifle joint in a quadruped is analogous to the KNEE JOINT in a human being.

The important point to be made here is: You DON'T want to get "STIFLED"!

DOC HARRIS

The Angus is one of the more masculine that I have seen in some time. Regardless of whether he's supposed to look like he does or not, the Pied is just flat out ugly IMO.

CKC1586":zqe2ou7a said:
TheBullLady":zqe2ou7a said:

The Piedmontese breed is an enhanced muscle breed, they have a naturally occuring two copy Myostatin gene. This does not manifest until the calves are about a month to six weeks old. Really neat to watch the little guys pop!
This bull looks pretty good although the pictures are not ideal, how old is he? What is his breeding?

Sorry, I see that you already stated that he is 22 months old. Wow, nice bull. I am sure that his calves will produce for you, any pictures of his babies yet you could share?? Might make folks sit up and take notice of what the Piedmontese can do for them.

Latest posts