bulls are scarce

Help Support CattleToday:

KNERSIE":22wxtk4o said:
bigbull338":22wxtk4o said:
you did not hurt my feeling 1 bit.talks like this are good for every1 involved.an when i dropp off its not that im madd its because ive got alot going an dont have time.sure i can give $4000 for a bull or more no sweat.last winter i was looking at a 4yr old pair for $3000.well the cow an her heifer calf had bloodlines i wanted.id talked to my buddy a few times about her but wouldnt pull the trigger.an im glad i didnt because the cow slipped an disslocated her shoulder an he lost her.i figure id lost her as well if she wouldve been here.

You'll make much faster progress by rather breeding your existing cows to the best bull you can afford (natural or AI) than you'll ever make buying expensive females.

Knersie's right. When you buy females (this goes for bulls, too) you also buy their genetic baggage. When you use your own females you increase your chances of knowing what their genetic baggage is (if any) and then have a potential opportunity to manage/control that baggage. You will have a higher probability of managing the genetic baggage if you know at least one of the two individuals being mated.

as yall know im trying to get the best bulls an cows i can for the money.i look at 2yr old bulls because the bull will be worked.an i learned along time ago it takes both good bulls an cows to get you where you want to.now im in beefmasters for the rest of my life so its a work in progress.

3waycross":w5f5x5pm said:
bigbull338":w5f5x5pm said:
you did not hurt my feeling 1 bit.talks like this are good for every1 involved.an when i dropp off its not that im madd its because ive got alot going an dont have time.sure i can give $4000 for a bull or more no sweat.last winter i was looking at a 4yr old pair for $3000.well the cow an her heifer calf had bloodlines i wanted.id talked to my buddy a few times about her but wouldnt pull the trigger.an im glad i didnt because the cow slipped an disslocated her shoulder an he lost her.i figure id lost her as well if she wouldve been here.

Thanks Bigbull I am glad you understand that I wasn't just trying to hurt your feelings. I really would like to see you find a great young (or older) bull to help your program.

BTW I told my buddy Vinnie the same thing and it cost me several thousand dollars. But, man am I glad we bought the bull we did. When we get some really good pictures we will post them for everyone to critisize!

Good luck with the search!

I was trying to logical in my post. It just didn't take.

fitz

Read on the AAA website that from oct. 11 thru march 12 average price for registered bull was 4627.00.

fitz

fitz":1qbro3kn said:
Read on the AAA website that from oct. 11 thru march 12 average price for registered bull was 4627.00.

fitz
yes angus bulls have been pretty high for awhile now.an buying angus bulls is a personal choice.hereford bulls have gotten high to,i saw some weaned an 2yr old reg polled herefords for sale.an they was priced from $2000 to $2700.i was interested in a 2yr old reg beefmaster at a sale this last weekend that i couldnt go to an he sold for $3250.makes me wonder what a bull will cost me.

xbred":174wzcj9 said:
Me and another member here just bought a $10,000 bull for a little more than 1/2 of that.

you didn't buy a $10000.00 bull....

We were prepared to go to that. We ended up not having to. We feel that he is easily worth that money. His 1/2 brother brought $13,500. The one we bought was not as high on ADG but was also much more moderate for FS. We feel like we stole him for what we paid! They are the last two that this Ranch will ever breed out of the sire as he died several years ago and this was the last two straws of semen they had on him.

I guarantee you wouldn't buy him from us for less than that!

I dont get it. Why pay 10K plus for a bull? Cattle to me are for meat and not worried nothing about how they do in a show ring. If I want to see something pretty it wouldnt be a cow. There are many good bulls out there for beef production that Don't cost as much as a car or even a house. My opinion is people who are in the business for " show " Have more money than they do common sense. But thats just me and how I feel. To each his own I guess. Not any difference than show dogs I guess.

ALACOWMAN":drcae96o said:
fitz":drcae96o said:

fitz
these averages were taken from registerd sale's?? not from the farm private treaty

The article referred to registered Bull sales reported to the Association during that time frame. Total number reported was 31,278.

fitz

brierpatch1974":1qj5ir08 said:
I dont get it. Why pay 10K plus for a bull? Cattle to me are for meat and not worried nothing about how they do in a show ring. If I want to see something pretty it wouldnt be a cow. There are many good bulls out there for beef production that Don't cost as much as a car or even a house. My opinion is people who are in the business for " show " Have more money than they do common sense. But thats just me and how I feel. To each his own I guess. Not any difference than show dogs I guess.

What does that have to do with my bull. I am pretty sure, in fact I am positive I NEVER said the word show. He has NEVER been shown and NEVER will be! We bought him to breed him. My partner and I both raise Seedstock Gelbvieh cattle. I am not great fan of the show game. Most everyone on here knows that!

you didn't buy a $10000.00 bull....[/quote]

We were prepared to go to that. We ended up not having to. We feel that he is easily worth that money. His 1/2 brother brought $13,500. The one we bought was not as high on ADG but was also much more moderate for FS. We feel like we stole him for what we paid! They are the last two that this Ranch will ever breed out of the sire as he died several years ago and this was the last two straws of semen they had on him.

I guarantee you wouldn't buy him from us for less than that![/quote]

I have seen pics and the EPD profile on 3ways bull. Very nice animal. I have already spoke for a few straws of semen on him. I think 3way and partner stole this bull :nod:

brierpatch1974":3ji9xj83 said:

I reckon we (seedstock producers) have to spent the "big" money to continue to improve our breeds so the commercial cattleman has a pretty decent animal down the road.... :deadhorse:

SSGenetics":79mgmrgl said:
brierpatch1974":79mgmrgl said:

I reckon we (seedstock producers) have to spent the "big" money to continue to improve our breeds so the commercial cattleman has a pretty decent animal down the road.... :deadhorse:

Funny you would say that. It is what I was thinking this morning in response to this post. In a lot of ways I agree with Briarpatch especially on the show stuff but like you say, someone has to spend the money,AND THE TIME necessary to improve their stock so that (any) seedstock producer can sell good quality bulls at a reasonable price.
If not then we become just producers of "cow fresheners", not good quality breeding bulls!

My partner and I spent the money on this bull because he was exactly what we were looking for to further our programs. Could he be better in a couple of areas sure he could but he is as close to the comeplete package genetically, phenatypically and EPD wise as I thought we could find in the breed as it stands today, and we were more than willing to pay the price for that. The fact that his 1/2 brother brought the princely sum that he did is fine with me. Like Hoss said we feel like we stole this one. We went in looking for a bull with moderate FS and sustainable growth numbers and we got just that.

the truth is if you make your name in the showring as a seedstock producer you can make money.because the showring is what sales your show heifers.an it also sales your herd bulls.but the cattle have to work an produce in the pastures once their show career is done.but the bottomline is reg cows that work in the pasture an produces bulls an heifers people want.

I drafted a reply to this yesterday or day before, with a bunch of URL links to bulls that are for sale in the PacNW -- just so you could see what was being offered out here. But, it must have had too many links or something, because it never posted.

brierpatch1974":1u22l0qd said:

I think the idea for spending a large amount of money for a bull would be either to produce calves that grow well for beef, or produce excellent cows that stay in the herd for 12+ years and produce good calves every year. You can also do this with a straw of semen, sometimes. You would also probably find that most show people do AI, instead of buying a bull to produce show calves.

RD-Sam":jh6wy8if said:
You would also probably find that most show people do AI, instead of buying a bull to produce show calves.

This is mostly because a high % of the marketing pitch is based on the name of the sire and not necessarily the initial quality of the individual.

Latest posts