bulls are scarce

Help Support CattleToday:

ALACOWMAN":1i77172e said:
i wonder what percentage of the show judges,, are actually able to judge a good functional animal ???

Darned few that I have seen. Most of the breed shows are who has the fattest pig(bull, cow,or heifer)

3waycross":3pduehmb said:
ALACOWMAN":3pduehmb said:
i wonder what percentage of the show judges,, are actually able to judge a good functional animal ???

Darned few that I have seen. Most of the breed shows are who has the fattest pig(bull, cow,or heifer)
Now, 3Way, you know that "fat" is not the politically correct word -- "Over-conditioned." :)

3waycross":3aqyvsoq said:
ALACOWMAN":3aqyvsoq said:

The only way to get around this problem, is to have actual (Breed) producers judge the shows. Then you run into even more issue with politics, or the "feeling" that politics is picking the placings.

ALACOWMAN":3o9wl9ju said:
producers would kill the show circuit

Kill it, no, change it, yes.

It would become, what it used to be...displaying your best breeding stock for others to decide if they want to use.

ALACOWMAN":onliebil said:
Galloway2":onliebil said:
ALACOWMAN":onliebil said:

It would become, what it used to be...displaying your best breeding stock for others to decide if they want to use.
thats what im talking about.... :cowboy:

That's what we do. :cboy:
We raise what works for us and our customers. It just so happens to be the same ones that win the shows.

Galloway2":24l4rv1r said:
ALACOWMAN":24l4rv1r said:

I have -0- experience with showing cattle, and I doubt that any of ours would be loved by the cattle judgers I've seen in action. However, for many years I raised and showed reg'd Pygmy Goats. During that time, with very few exceptions, the NPGA judges were placing the more short/compact/squatty bodied animals. And that's what they raised, and that's what they sold, to those wanting to compete. To achieve a Permanent Gr. Champion status (and you have to have PGCh status to compete for a national win), NPGA females must win 3 Grand Championships AND have borne one live offspring; 4 Grands for bucks. Those goats usually twin and often triplet. Well, the animals kept getting smaller and wider and more "over-conditioned" -- show goats looked like big beach balls with coffee mug legs. They were losing body capacity, which isn't what you want w/ multiple birthers. Under pressure, NPGA changed the rules for PGCh does, so that they had to have given birth to one live kid that was NOT delivered via C-section! Wasn't long after that, I quit the whole business. Judges/show politics were influencing people to procreate non-functional animals.

ALACOWMAN":210ne7zc said:
look at the pug dog.... a man made train wreck,, a miserable animal ... just so it looks cute
. . . and many English Bulldogs have to be AI'd because the males can't support their own weight to breed the females. Arghhhhhhh! :bang:

Kathie in Thorp":2ukvfauv said:
ALACOWMAN":2ukvfauv said:
look at the pug dog.... a man made train wreck,, a miserable animal ... just so it looks cute
. . . and many English Bulldogs have to be AI'd because the males can't support their own weight to breed the females. Arghhhhhhh! :bang:
and the C sections

ALACOWMAN":1pjl48jq said:
Kathie in Thorp":1pjl48jq said:
ALACOWMAN":1pjl48jq said:
and the C sections
. . . all that. Human engineering sometimes drives me nuts.

Bulls are scarce here too. Just shipped our last 2 this week (other then 2 little calves), bakc to 100% AI

well i went an looked at the bulls that will sale tomorrow an found 2 coming 2yr old crimson magic sons.so i called my mentor to see if he would be there an he will be so he is going to look at the bulls.he saiod herd bulls are going for $2500 to $4000.so my price will prolly go up unless im the only serious bull buyer there.the last bull he bought he gave $2500 for.

bigbull338":i4sj5jyy said:
well i went an looked at the bulls that will sale tomorrow an found 2 coming 2yr old crimson magic sons.so i called my mentor to see if he would be there an he will be so he is going to look at the bulls.he saiod herd bulls are going for $2500 to $4000.so my price will prolly go up unless im the only serious bull buyer there.the last bull he bought he gave $2500 for.

Might i make a suggestion, If you are serious about being a seedstock producer, I assume you know how to AI. Go spend $8000 and get you a top of the line bull and then have him collected. You can then AI your cattle with his semen, and use him as your clean up bull, which will probably extend his life span.

If you dont know how to AI, do all us commercial cattlemen a favor. Get out of the seedstock business

if i went out an done what your suggesting then you or any1 else could not afford the resulting bulls.i know breeders that wont keep a bull unless he will bring $3000.but then again they use AI an ET on alot of doner cows.i doubt very few people on here have been in cattle here all there lives like me.an that ok,an i sure dont go around telling them they should fold up.

BB, Wow all u managed to glean from my post, was that you need to go out of business. Please notice I said seedstock business, and I will stand by that statement. A rule of thumb that some commercial producers use to in purchase of a new COMMERCIAL bull is to, take the price of a finished steer and multiply it by 3... Example: today 1400 lbs steers were selling for $1.20 so that would be $5040.....So now you wanna tell me your gonna be a purebred Beefmaster seedstock producer with a $2500 bull. Sorry that dog aint gonna hunt!

houstoncutter":dzje4ybc said:
BB, Wow all u managed to glean from my post, was that you need to go out of business. Please notice I said seedstock business, and I will stand by that statement. A rule of thumb that some commercial producers use to in purchase of a new COMMERCIAL bull is to, take the price of a finished steer and multiply it by 3... Example: today 1400 lbs steers were selling for $1.20 so that would be $5040.....So now you wanna tell me your gonna be a purebred Beefmaster seedstock producer with a $2500 bull. Sorry that dog aint gonna hunt!
well now again the differance of opions comes into play.in my life ive been in the reg game 3 times.an its not all what you know as i know alot of the big name breeders an am friends with most.so when some1 hitts it big in the business i know how they did it.an its alot of the big boys buying eachothers cattle.they had the next hot beefmaster sire there on display.well alot was snapping up semen on him as he was pretty well half price.now back to the bulls,i can give the money your talking about but i dont.because im friends with the owners.now depending on what i do the new bull will prolly cost me $3000 or more but im not sure yet.

If you're not selling registered cattle as registered cattl to other seedstock producers the "registered" part is nothing but an unnecessary expense. Sounds good at the coffee shop but if you simply haul everything to the sale barn they might as well be good cross bred steers.

TexasBred":1vwi7pnw said:
If you're not selling registered cattle as registered cattl to other seedstock producers the "registered" part is nothing but an unnecessary expense. Sounds good at the coffee shop but if you simply haul everything to the sale barn they might as well be good cross bred steers.
if i sell any heifers its to other reg breeders.the bull calves all go to the sale barn.i might have 1 nice bull calf thats worth raising but he will go to the sale barn because im not in the mood to raise him.

Latest posts