Bull with hoof growth

Help Support CattleToday:

dburkhart

Reaction score
We have a four-year old bull who is in good health except for a growth on the bottom of his hoof. It almost looks and feels like a big cork--except black. Epsom salt seems to alleviate some of the pain, but it is not going away. We have administered antibiotics and sulfa--seems to help a little. But, no matter what we do, the size does not seem to be going down.

Any ideas?

It doesn't quite look like the hairy wart pictures. Even when I wash the hoof, it is black. Almost like you'd take a chunk of wood and stick it on the hoof. I'll try to get pics and post.

No idea what could be wrong with your bull. With today's packer bull prices I know of several who sold big mature bulls for slaughter and were able to buy a good young bull replacement for about the same money as the slaughter bull brought.

If the situation is not easily and cheaply remedied, trading for a new young bull might be a good option.

Best wishes.

Here is a link to the picture.
Bull_hoof_002.jpg
[/url][/img]

I'll admit my ignorance - but I can't see anything other than hoof. Does the bull act like he has a problem with his hoof?

Thing is that if it is an abscess and you don't treat it, it will just get worse and blow thru his hoof...I really think you need a trimmer to look at it. Longer you wait......

The foot is pretty dirty in the pic, but it almost looks like the hoof wall has rolled over the sole. I'd take a hoof knife after it or get a trimmer to take a look. Or scrape the foot off better and take another pic.

It's the pic of the bottom of the foot we are supposed to be looking at, not the one where there is a growth coming out next to the dewclaw, right?

I am with the others that think rasping the hoof to where you can get a better view is necessary. There may be nothing wrong that a trim will not fix.

Just treated a steer with an abcess. Vet trimmed hoof down and loaded him with antibiotics. Foot was swollen pretty good and had hard time walking. Was treated Fri. and today limp was gone and so was swelling. Fri. evening a cow is limping so bad could hardly move. Sat. morning vet treats for a corn, which he thought was just starting. Same basic treatment and this morning walking with barely noticible limp. Juiced 'em up for 10 days with anti's. Said that should take care of it and so far looks like it will.

Identified the problem. It was an abscess that ate away about 1/4 of the hoof. What we were seeing, however, was that the hoof had grown around the abscess. Vet carved it away, cleaned the abscess, packed it, and wrapped it. We are looking for a full recovery :D

Latest posts