Bull steadily after cows who were palpated bred

Help Support CattleToday:

DCA farm

Reaction score
Hello
Turned a new young bull loose on some cows yesterday and I watched him get after 1 that I know was palpated 2 months ago 3 months bred any of y'all have bulls that chase the cows that are already bred. She wasn't having any part of him steadily turning and butting at him.

Every new bull we have ever brought on the farm chased around and lip curled and sniffed every cow he would get close too for a day or two.

There is a chance that the cow could have slipped a pregnancy but I would say he is just checking things out and getting excited.

kentuckyguy":1b2ukltb said:
Every new bull we have ever brought on the farm chased around and lip curled and sniffed every cow he would get close too for a day or two.

There is a chance that the cow could have slipped a pregnancy but I would say he is just checking things out and getting excited.
One he's been following regular was palpated 2 months ago as a 3 almost 4 so I hope she ain't slipped

While its relatively rare, I've had bred cows behaving as though they were in heat as TCR noted. Likewise, on occasion I've seen baby bull calves mobbing a hot, standing heat cow while a virile, high libido herd bull completely ignored her.

Well here it is 3 weeks after I turned bull in with them I was out at barn abd I noticed him after her again this time he was mounting so I'm gonna assume she slipped calf on me and is cycling again.

I had a cow look like she was in standing heat, bull all over her.. 2 months later she calved.. If in doubt, palpate again before shipping, if that's your plan

I've got two dozen heavy bred cows still running with a herd bull. I've seen him sticking by a few, and even seen a couple cows get on him. They were preg checked in late summer, ranged 2-5 months bred.
Not a cause for concern to me.

CalumetFarms":32i3n0yw said:
I've got two dozen heavy bred cows still running with a herd bull. I've seen him sticking by a few, and even seen a couple cows get on him. They were preg checked in late summer, ranged 2-5 months bred.
Not a cause for concern to me.

It would concern me. Cows that have Trich will abort.

Nesikep said:
I had a cow look like she was in standing heat, bull all over her.. 2 months later she calved.. If in doubt, palpate again before shipping, if that's your plan

I gave her 1 month after the time I assumed she should calf them hauled her to vet. Open as could be. Had a guy offer me a good price for her said he could get her to take and stay bred so I let him
Have her

DCA farm said:
Nesikep said:

I gave her 1 month after the time I assumed she should calf them hauled her to vet. Open as could be. Had a guy offer me a good price for her said he could get her to take and stay bred so I let him
Have her
Good riddance!

Thank you for the update. So many times someone starts a thread and we never hear the end result. A barren cow is not a good ending but selling a barren cow is a great ending.

DCA farm said:
I gave her 1 month after the time I assumed she should calf then hauled her to vet.
Open as could be. Had a guy offer me a good price for her said he could get her to take and stay bred
so I let him Have her.
I hope/recommend you took the time to discuss with your Vet as to probable reasons why...
and reviewed/discussed and follow vaccination protocols your Vet has laid out for your operation.

p.s.
Adding location to your profile would be nice.

Nesikep said:

I had the same thing happen several years ago. Only difference was mine calved about 3 weeks after I watched bull breed her. She stood for the whole show. I was sure she was open at that point, but it was a busy time and I just wrote her off to go to the sale the next time we had something going. Glad I kept her. Raised one heckuva calf!

WinterSpringsFarm said:
I had a cow in heat every 21 days like clock work, bull hunched her every time. She calved in May, a little late but perplexing to me none the less.

Best kinda cow. Raises calves and keeps the bull happy.

Latest posts