Bull soundness exam.. will add pics soon

Help Support CattleToday:

hillsdown

Reaction score
We did our semen testing today on my yearling GV bulls, I have posted about them before and as well as pics. These guys were raised in drought conditions and were on green feed only until the last month where I added a couple of pounds a day of barley to their diet as I am running out of feed.

Anyways, The oldest Maximus the Moderator son scrotal was 40 cm's. The next my herd bull's son who is a Freedom fog son was 38.5 cm and the youngest who is out of a Moderator dam was 41 cm :shock: .. All tested great as far as semen ,will get final results tomorrow. Our vet was very impressed as he said you could tell that were not pushed hard at all but were well muscled and had really good SC measurements..

I am pleased , it looks like I might be headed in the right direction after all.. ;-)

I sure wish I could have kept a few more bulls last year as there were some really nice ones that I decided to cull due to the drought but I think I did pick the top 3 of the group..

Oh and it is pouring rain as well these last few hours.. :banana:

Congratulations! The breeder I bought my bull from (Jerry Huth) is a proponent of the importance of SC. And from the results I see it sure looks like he is correct.

It's been a tough time in your drought but maybe some good things will come out of it. Jim

Great numbers on the scrotals. That puts them near or at the top of the breed. :clap:

Thanks all, yes they did very well. I just said to hubby, d@mm I got lucky with them .. :lol2: ;-)

It is no longer raining here, we are having a full blown blizzard. The wind is horrendous and when I went out to check the cows an hour ago something hit me in the face and now I have a beautiful 1/8 inch gash on my face..I love the moisture but the wind can take a hike... :mad:

just wondering how much did these boys weigh, for SC of that they must be pretty good sized boys?

congrats on your bulls doing so well on the SCs.the bigger they are the better they are.if i remember right my bulls SC was 40 or 42 when he was 33 months old.

double v":3l0gi1z0 said:
just wondering how much did these boys weigh, for SC of that they must be pretty good sized boys?

They are all around 1200 lbs. The heaviest is Max, then Final Score(40 cm) the smallest is Kool who also had the smallest scrotal measurement.

Blizzard finally ended ,Alberta got it good though. Hi ways were closed and there was a huge pile up on the QE2 . The snow is all gone and it is still bone dry with the wind howling again. They are calling for 30-50 cm's of snow next week. Glad calving is over.

Will get out with the camera to take pics of the boys as soon as the wind dies down.

Latest posts