Bull shortage

Help Support CattleToday:

here in indiana we still have more bulls than people to use them our cow herd is shrinking because no one want to compete with grain if they can plow there pastures up and grow corn and beans they are doing just that David

We sold out last month and still have people calling. One guy told us that he's going to buy an older slaughter bull this year to get him by and then come this fall after weaning to pick out his bull for next year.

showing71":1w6mk1nk said:
We sold out last month and still have people calling. One guy told us that he's going to buy an older slaughter bull this year to get him by and then come this fall after weaning to pick out his bull for next year.
hope he knows what he's doing,, though alot of good ones to be had at the barn now.. i would'nt want to just turn one out with my cows.. with out some type of background on him and his health

I sure hope I have this problem in a couple of months. I've got four that I want gone by this summer. I have serious interest in one, but that's it so far. It's time for the purebred guys to get a little money back on years of investment. Too many years where guys were left with a sizable percentage of their bulls year after year.

theres no bull shortage around here that i can see.ive got a friend thats going to sale probly 50 bulls may 13th.then may 14th he is going to have his production sale.an both sales will have guest consigners in them.im sure replacement bulls have gone up pretty good.

bigbull338":1u8go8y5 said:
theres no bull shortage around here that i can see.ive got a friend thats going to sale probly 50 bulls may 13th.then may 14th he is going to have his production sale.an both sales will have guest consigners in them.im sure replacement bulls have gone up pretty good.
i imagine some will be $500.00+ from last year

yeah I have a neighbor that has about 150 commercial cows that I witnessed buying PB Angus bulls a year ago for 5K per head and after the sale was over I told him he was gonna pay big time for that error in judgement. I told him come weaning day I will be there to console you, LOL

About 4 years ago he bought Simmental and SimAngus bulls, but he gave them to his son as he was starting out with cows of his own etc.. most people are still behind the 8 ball on the EPD equivalencies, which is sad to see when people make such expensive errors in bull buying.

Here is a chart that has ~ 18 breeds in it where you can evalute bulls based on an even "field of play"
http://www.beefcattlebiz.com/support-files/abepd.pdf. As you can see, PB Angus have elevated EPD's based on indices from 1974, which there has been a huge change in genetics since that time. What this does is falsify the numbers. For example, looking at Angus and Simmental.

If an Angus has a WW EPD of 50 --when you make these numbers equivalent with Simmental you have to correct this number by taking the 50 and subtracting 28 from it, which equals 22 in todays numbers (after all it is not 1974)-- which is about right because an Angus has a low weaning weights compared to Simmental, etc..... even in yearling weight again we subtract over 28 from the Angus YW EPD of say--90, which in todays numbers is really a 60-- which is weak.

What this does for the cattleman looking for bulls is give them a false set of yesteryear numbers to work from and they make these errors in judgement.

My neighbor, who paid 5K a piece for these PB Angus bulls weaned his calves this week. I was there to check them out and these calves were all lighter than past calves that were Simmental influenced.

What did he lose?

150 calves that weighed in , on average, 40 lbs lighter than the previous 6 years when he was using PB Simmental and SimAngus Bulls.
150 x 40 = 6000 lbs ($1.45/lb) 6000 lbs x $1.45 = $8700.00 LOSS.

He bought good Angus bulls (based on numbers from yesteryear), but come pay day that 25K purchase he made for these bulls-- we need to add an additional $8700 of loss on top of it. Basically his bulls lost him money. He can count on another Loss on next years calf crop as all his calves for fall 2011 will be sired by these same Angus Bulls.

Another beating he took was having to sell those high dollar bulls for half what he paid for them and he will be returning to us for PB Simmental Bulls in the fall.

JustSimms

ALACOWMAN":167clog7 said:
id toyed with the idea of going back with a homo black simmental bull till i made my recent purchase

A side note: For the past 6 years his Simmental influnced calves graded the following:

87% Med choice YG 2.2 (these calves earned 2 premiums) ---

others Med - High Choice YG 3+ (these calves lost their premiums due to trim)

But to do it, you have to buy better than average simmental bulls

We just sold the last 5 of our 40 yearling Hereford bulls today. If we had a 100 2yr olds or even 18 mo. old bulls we could have sold them. I have never seen the Hereford bull market this good in Texas and Okla. ever. They are all going to black cow herds. We will have a 100 Hereford yearling bulls this time next year. I just hope the idiots in Wasington don't spends off the face of the earth by then.

We have only 5 yearlings and 1- 18 months to sell. We are getting calls really early this year. So many HUGE registered breeders close to us that sell their's first at auction. My customers are usually the ones whose bull just went bad or out shopping and really liked my bulls. Not sure if there's a shortage around here or just more ready to buy due to high calf prices.
Valerie

vclavin":1ywhobe9 said:
We have only 5 yearlings and 1- 18 months to sell. We are getting calls really early this year. So many HUGE registered breeders close to us that sell their's first at auction. My customers are usually the ones whose bull just went bad or out shopping and really liked my bulls. Not sure if there's a shortage around here or just more ready to buy due to high calf prices.
Valerie

Your post reminds me of one of the few sales I attended earlier in the year - seems like the closer you got to the end of the sale the higher the prices and the less particular the buyers became. If I was selling bulls I would want mine to be the last one in the sale!? Jim

SRBeef":3ji003ne said:
vclavin":3ji003ne said:
Valerie

Your post reminds me of one of the few sales I attended earlier in the year - seems like the closer you got to the end of the sale the higher the prices and the less particular the buyers became. If I was selling bulls I would want mine to be the last one in the sale!? Jim
that happen at the majority of those purebred sales... and right the opposite at the sale barn especially if theres big numbers

Here in NY, we have an all breed heifer & bull sale & I type up the catalog & mail it out. Advertising gives my name & number for info. I am amazed at how much interest we have had this year - mostly for the bulls. If this isn't a good sale this year, we never will have a good one!

No bull shortage here. I had 5 till I banded 2 last month. Then the neighbor came over and said they were all better than his, but it was too late for Patches and Big Red... :(

Latest posts