Bull Shopping

Help Support CattleToday:

mnmtranching

Reaction score
Sold 2, 4 yr old BA bulls yesterday.

Won't need to replace them until about the 1st of June.

Lots of time to look over blood lines.

Anybody got suggestions?

mnmtranching":3iobkx0g said:

Anybody got suggestions?

What do you want the calves to do? Go to the salebarn, the feedlot? Retain heifers? Sell on a grid? Decide that, then get out to some sales. Look at bulls and find some that will fit your goals. There are lots of Angus bulls out there.

Frankie":38gzm93s said:
mnmtranching":38gzm93s said:

Anybody got suggestions?

What do you want the calves to do? Go to the salebarn, the feedlot? Retain heifers? Sell on a grid? Decide that, then get out to some sales. Look at bulls and find some that will fit your goals. There are lots of Angus bulls out there.

Yes, I'm looking for ideas, opinions on what Y'all think are good BA bloodlines.

mnmtranching":3knme2mv said:
Frankie":3knme2mv said:
mnmtranching":3knme2mv said:

Anybody got suggestions?

Yes, I'm looking for ideas, opinions on what Y'all think are good BA bloodlines.

Like Frankie said: what do you want this bull to do for you? Then we can offer the blood line that will help you the most.

If you do not know where you are going it is hard to start in that direction. Frankie is right on this you need to know what you are doing with the calves.

Jeff

Stevenson Basin Angus.Hobson Montana
Lost Lake Angus, Geraldine Montana(?)
Watched the Stevenson sale last year on the RFD channel. Looked like some nice bulls in that sale.
Can't remember if Lost Lake is Geraldine or Montague. I've looked at both places when considering starting a cross breeding program.

In your neck of the woods, I would check out Morgan angus at Chetek Wisconsin. He has good uddered Growthy cattle. Sells a lot of bulls. Good hunting.

About every 3 or 4 years I look for bulls otherwise I don't much follow. Last couple years it's been Charolais, they stay another year or two.

So this year it's BA.

My cowherd is where I want it. Don't want to lose ground. About 60% are full blood BA.

I'm always keeping heifers, for my herd and Sell some for replacements. I've worked at perfect udders, and got to keep that. I got to continue with the market topping feeder calves.
My steers average 675 at 7 months on grass and milk. The Steers will weigh 1100-1200 pounds at 12 months.

Disposition is important, and the bull has got to look GOOD. I'm not interested in terminal. I like to keep all options open. Selling heifers off the farm is more profitable than selling at the sale barn.

I need 1 bull for heifers, must have a birthweight at 68-72 pounds.

One herd Bull, Around 80-85 birth weight. Got to be a good all around bull. If I can increase weaning weight OK, but I don't want to sacrifice the other qualities mentioned above.

Any Ideas?

well i highly recommend any good son of sitz alliance 6595 that u can find. The first calf crop we have from ours looks awsome and i am looking forward to having his daughters in production in a couple years. He has a large set of nuts and a good hind quarter and he transmits the hind end to his offspring. He also has a great disposition and from what i have read this is exactly what u should expect from this bloodline.

others to try in the same 8180 bloodline are the popular 004 and sons and SAV final answer. i haven't used these but have heard good things.

we have some heifers bred to a danny boy son- am hoping for good things from that as well.

Dan.

mnmtranching":1bq5sy3y said:
I'm always keeping heifers, for my herd and Sell some for replacements. I've worked at perfect udders, and got to keep that. I got to continue with the market topping feeder calves.
My steers average 675 at 7 months on grass and milk. The Steers will weigh 1100-1200 pounds at 12 months.

Disposition is important, and the bull has got to look GOOD. I'm not interested in terminal. I like to keep all options open. Selling heifers off the farm is more profitable than selling at the sale barn.

One herd Bull, Around 80-85 birth weight. Got to be a good all around bull. If I can increase weaning weight OK, but I don't want to sacrifice the other qualities mentioned above.

Any Ideas?

Have you considered going to an AI program? '675 lb steer weaning wts', '1100++ yearling weights', 'market topping calves', 'high udder quality', 'sells quality replacement heifers', etc. Whether you are aware of it or not, all that puts you out there in the elite ~10-20% of the commercial cow herd. The only problem with being the best is that finding bulls that CAN improve on where YOU are at becomes more and more difficult the closer your herd moves towards your "ideal". I don't want to sound like an AI salesman but high performance, proven, heavily documented bulls, with a track record both in the feedlot and in producing phenotypically correct daughters is your best insurance policy against taking a step 'backwards' in your program.

Brandonm2":3f9h2ry3 said:
mnmtranching":3f9h2ry3 said:

Any Ideas?

Have you considered going to an AI program? '675 lb steer weaning wts', '1100++ yearling weights', 'market topping calves', 'high udder quality', 'sells quality replacement heifers', etc. Whether you are aware of it or not, all that puts you out there in the elite ~10-20% of the commercial cow herd. The only problem with being the best is that finding bulls that CAN improve on where YOU are at becomes more and more difficult the closer your herd moves towards your "ideal". I don't want to sound like an AI salesman but high performance, proven, heavily documented bulls, with a track record both in the feedlot and in producing phenotypically correct daughters is your best insurance policy against taking a step 'backwards' in your program.
I agree with brandonm. If you are not selling terminal you must then be a seedstock producer. If you buy a bull there will be little support on what that bull will produce. With AI your % of high quality replacement heifers and quality bulls will increase. When bringing in a new ull there is a high risk of going backward and selling terminal stock.

Thanks for the good advice. I sell mainly feeder calves, but many of my heifers go for breeding. Thats why terminal doesn't interest me. My cows are EXT grand daughters and my heifers from last year and this year are from a Sitz Traveler.

My cows run on big pastures, and would be to much work and time to AI. I did sell 2 purebred yearling bulls last Spring but not panning on selling many.

D44 I will probably buy the bulls at Northern Highlite Angus sale,
I wrote down the bulls you mentioned, and see. Thanks.

I was told a long time ago by a very good cowman that you, "Breed for your cows and hope your bulls are good enough". What that means is that since you are keeping your own heifers for replacements, you want a bull that comes from a strong maternal herd.

People will get all excited about one individual bull, show me the cows. When we look for a herd bull, we look at their bulls, all of them and then if we are interested, we look at their cow herd. See if you like what the cows look like because that is the best indicator of all.

A.I. is a useful tool for operations that are either small or have a whole bunch of manpower. We don't have the manpower to A.I. Also, it depends on your conditions. Many people that A.I. also run a spring and fall calving groups within their herds. We can't because of our feed conditions. If we had irrigated ground, it really wouldn't make that much difference but we don't.

You also need to purchase a bull that will work well in your country. If you have tough country and bulls need to get out and work for a living you really don't want a bull that has been hand raised. We have gotten many customers because they don't want bulls that have been raised in a feedlot. Whether it is true or not, they say they don't know how to forage for grass.

I wouldn't buy a bull at a sale unless I knew about the ranch first. I hate to say it, but some people are not honest. I was at a sale Friday and there were a couple of bulls that were blatantly short-aged. If you do go to a bull sale, don't get excited about WDA because that is only as good as the person who is turning in the numbers. Same for birth weights, weaning weights, and yearling weights. Many producers do not have certified scales on their ranch. They use tapes to figure out how much and animal weighs or they have those scales in their chutes. When they show you weights, ask how they got them, was their scales certified?

I am not saying that you cannot buy a good bull from someone who only raises a few bulls a year, but ask whoever you are buying a bull from, how many bulls they cut. You can get a good feel for how they operate their herd.

I would not ever, buy a bull over a video. We went to a large production sale to buy a bull. We had done our homework. We looked at the video, checked out the numbers and the pedigree. There was one bull that fit our program perfectly. We got to the sales yard the day before the sale, after flying half way across the country. We were there early, no one was around. We got out of the car and there were over 100 bulls penned. One bull stuck his head up and started watching us. I wasn't even close enough to read his number but I had this sinking feeling. Yep, he was the bull we had selected. So we went through the bulls that we had rated and found another bull that actually was much better looking than he was in the video. The day of the sale the first bull we wanted, was ramming fences and he wasn't even brought into the ring. The bull we did buy has ended up to be great. But that was after he got sick, looked so bad we hid him for six months. His proof was in his calves that are now sale bulls. Also in his heifers, who haven't started calving yet but hopefully will be good mothers.

We would have bought that bull over the video and not know his disposition until we got him home. Notice when they sell bulls or horses on those videos, it isn't in the ring but videos taken earlier? I am not saying video marketing isn't a great tool, I would buy or sell a set of feeders off a video but I would not buy a bull where disposition is important.

I hardly know squat about angus bloodlines, however, I was looking at some Knoll Crest Farm bulls and thought they were some of the best I've seen.

mnmtranching":n7sottt6 said:
About every 3 or 4 years I look for bulls otherwise I don't much follow. Last couple years it's been Charolais, they stay another year or two.

So this year it's BA.

My cowherd is where I want it. Don't want to lose ground. About 60% are full blood BA.

Any Ideas?

It sounds like you have your herd where you want it. There are lots of good Angus bloodlines/bulls out there.

I'd suggest that you buy bulls with EPDs similar to the ones you're selling.

There will be a lot of Angus sales in your part of the country this fall and in the spring. Attend some of them and pick out the bulls you like. Perhaps a bloodline will jump out at you.

For what it's worth, we have calves on the ground from Krugerrand of Donamere, New Design 036, and BR Midland this fall. In the spring, we'll be having more Midland calves and some Woodhill Foresight. We have two heifers that will calve in the spring. One is bred to Ironwood New Level and the other to New Design 036. We were very pleased with our only New Level bull calf last year. He gained over 6 lbs per day on test, was thick and had a laid back disposition.

Bon View New Design 878 is one of the most popular heifer bulls in the breed today. He's pretty moderate framed, good disposition. Overall a pretty middle of the road bull, no extremes in his daughters that I've seen. I can't imagine there won't be some 878 sons sold in your area this fall. Give them a look. Good luck....

Bull your Black Angus bulls from either, Conley, Connealy, TC Ranch, Sitz, Stevenson Basin, or Wehrmann Angus.

THG

THG":2use50uy said:
Bull your Black Angus bulls from either, Conley, Connealy, TC Ranch, Sitz, Stevenson Basin, or Wehrmann Angus.

THG
The same quality bulls can be bought from innumerable small breeders, each of which have equal access to semen sources.

P1010886.jpg

This bull came from a small time Angus breeder in central Ga. I wouldn't even consider trading him for any bull from any of the breeders named by THG.