Bull selection and epds for low input

Help Support CattleToday:

Bcompton53

Reaction score
So our angus cow/calf operation is trying to work toward a fairly low input herd. I don't care about having the biggest calves at the same barn, I'd rather have medium, efficient cows for eastern Kansas brome pasture.
I use Select sir bulls. If someone wants to suggest specific bulls they would use, that's fine, but I'm really interested in what epds you all would pay attention to when working toward a goal like mine, and additionally are there rule of thumb guidelines as far as what numbers you'd like to see. For example, "i try to keep milk levels about average, like 22-26" I seem to reference $en some, but many of the mainstream bulls are well below breed average.
Thoughts?

Sounds to me like you are well on your way to a profitable cow calf enterprise. Discipline is the key. Environment will dictate your genetic influences. Close observation will allow you to test your limits. Good luck. Capitalist comes to mind as a bull that might work.

Seems as there are more open cows in this area than normal. I really feel that most of the open cows are over milking. The need and want for more is human nature but detrimental to profitability. The higher milking cows need more inputs and their needs are not being met.

Bcompton53":cf8w82p4 said:
So our angus cow/calf operation is trying to work toward a fairly low input herd. I don't care about having the biggest calves at the same barn, I'd rather have medium, efficient cows for eastern Kansas brome pasture.
I use Select sir bulls. If someone wants to suggest specific bulls they would use, that's fine, but I'm really interested in what epds you all would pay attention to when working toward a goal like mine, and additionally are there rule of thumb guidelines as far as what numbers you'd like to see. For example, "i try to keep milk levels about average, like 22-26" I seem to reference $en some, but many of the mainstream bulls are well below breed average.
Thoughts?
We run our cows in a low input environment. We try and use bulls that are moderate in size and that are easy fleshing.
I'd pay attention to MH, $EN, Milk and pedigrees that are known for easy fleshing cow maker types.
We've used a lot of OCC genetics, Bulls like Charlo, Capitalist, Rito 7075, Final Answer.
We haven't had great luck with the higher $B bulls.

W.B.":2o35hni2 said:
Sounds to me like you are well on your way to a profitable cow calf enterprise. Discipline is the key. Environment will dictate your genetic influences. Close observation will allow you to test your limits. Good luck. Capitalist comes to mind as a bull that might work.

Seems as there are more open cows in this area than normal. I really feel that most of the open cows are over milking. The need and want for more is human nature but detrimental to profitability. The higher milking cows need more inputs and their needs are not being met.

Its funny you should mention the increase in open cows in your area, I've noticed the same in our herds and have heard similar results from the neighbors. Not sure what to make of it. Poorer quality grass with the cold spring that turned to high heat all of a sudden or what? Frustrating none the less.

Connealy sires have done me very well for creating easy fleshing cows.
I have cows in production out of right answer, Irish, 7229, and capitalist. My personal favorites are the right answers. They are very fertile, and raise huge calves. These cows can get fat on 8-10% fescue hay. Once they get close to calving, I will feed some 12-13% balage if I have it or give a little grain.
I bought a couple GAR bulls to go on them a few years back, payed way to much for them. By the end of the first breeding season they were both skin and bones, one had major foot problems.The cows were on the same forage, and milking a calf couldn't even see a rib. The calves out of them did grow pretty well, but I didn't even consider retaining a heifer.

I REALLY like the 7229 calves. I know everyone is different, but he has paired up well to 90% of my cows. Steers are thick and deep, medium framed brutes. Above average growth, but not highest growth calves I've ever raised. I'd take a field full of them, that's for sure. Heifers are easy on the eyes! I have bred heifers and some up and coming heifers that I plan to retain from him, so I can't speak on milking ability, but they sure do flesh easy so far. I have some steers that I am finishing right now, and was a little concerned about his RADG and DMI epd's, but they seem to be doing the job. I also have some Hoover Dam steers I'm feeding too. They are flat tearing it up on feed. I like his heifers too, but do not have any wet yet. I used 7229 and HD heavily this fall in an attempt to get a few more of the "good kind" of females on the place.

T & B farms said:
Statefan62 said:
T & B have you ever used Connealy Cool?

I have not. Until now I had never heard of him. I don't know much about his pedigree, epd wise he seems decent.

Yeah the reason I was looking at him verse some of the others was because he wasn't as well known. Sydenstricker seems to be using him quite a bit.

Capitalist calves grow really well until 12-13 mos. They hit the wall growth wise. Avg. udders on his daughters. He took some milk off my females that milk a little too much. My oldest daughters are coming with 3rd. calf and look like they will be here till 10 to 12 yr olds.

W.B. said:

I used a bunch of capitalist this last fall. I'm hoping to kind of bring our wide spread mix of cows to center a bit. I don't know how to definitively identify over milking cows, but a few of mine are fairly big cows, who raise good calves, but the cows take a pretty hard hit to their condition. These are the cows I've definitely used a low $en, low milk, smaller framed bull on.

VaCowman said:
I REALLY like the 7229 calves. I know everyone is different, but he has paired up well to 90% of my cows. Steers are thick and deep, medium framed brutes. Above average growth, but not highest growth calves I've ever raised. I'd take a field full of them, that's for sure. Heifers are easy on the eyes! I have bred heifers and some up and coming heifers that I plan to retain from him, so I can't speak on milking ability, but they sure do flesh easy so far. I have some steers that I am finishing right now, and was a little concerned about his RADG and DMI epd's, but they seem to be doing the job. I also have some Hoover Dam steers I'm feeding too. They are flat tearing it up on feed. I like his heifers too, but do not have any wet yet. I used 7229 and HD heavily this fall in an attempt to get a few more of the "good kind" of females on the place.

I agree on 7229. I swore I wouldn't use him anymore due to the amount of sons out there, but I just bought 20 more straws to use this spring.

Latest posts