Bull Price Question

Help Support CattleToday:

KANSAS

Reaction score
I read in here that people do not expect great things from bulls in the +/-$2500.00 and below range. Looking through the internet on literally hundreds of cattle web-sites I rarely even see a bull priced for over 2500.00. On the cattle today classifieds I havnt seen one in ages over $2,500.00. So where do you all get these higher dollar bulls?

I would think at bull sales and private treaty. Knowing what you are looking for and going and finding it, at the sale or the ranch. I would say that you could find a good quality bull for in the $2500+/- range for sure. I know we've sold many for much less that i was very confident in. Just couldnt keep them around any longer (related to everything or too many bulls).

Ryan,
In regards to longhorn bulls I do run across prices well over 2500.00. But on beef breeds I rarely if ever find one. Just curious were they are...

Hey Kansas, your up by me and we had a hard time finding bulls under 3k when we ran out this fall... Finding bulls cheap is an issue around here and that is especially true if you want registered stock !!

KANSAS":2f3h5mkd said:
I read in here that people do not expect great things from bulls in the +/-$2500.00 and below range. Looking through the internet on literally hundreds of cattle web-sites I rarely even see a bull priced for over 2500.00. On the cattle today classifieds I havnt seen one in ages over $2,500.00. So where do you all get these higher dollar bulls?
you go to pure breed bull sa;es.an find those high priced bulls.alot of those over $2500 bulls are sold off the farm.i went 2yrs ago with a friend to get 2 high powered reg beefmasters from a breeder.an he gave $3000 a peice for the bulls.the only reason he knocxked a little off the bulls was friend went back 4 months later an bought 12 reg bred cows an heifers.an some breeders will only raise the bulls.that they know they can sale for $5000 or $6000 or more.some breeders raise bulls that will be in the comm producers price range $1500 to 3500.

Kansas, you are also by me. There are some good bulls being sold for less then $2000 around me. Mine are $1750 and another breeder down the road is $2000. These are polled hereford bulls. My cousin sells reg. limis for around the $2000. I believe every breeder listed, including myself, fully guarntees the bulls they sell.

I would have no problem purchasing a 3000.00 + bull. Just dont see em that often advertised. Registered Brangus, Angus, Charolais, and Limousin bulls can be had around me for under 2K all day long. I know just because they are registered does not mean they are high quality, but I still dont see them that often.
Maybe the folks that are selling the high dollar bulls sell out quickly because they are that much better and have an established set of clientel thereby eliminating the need to advertise their animals to the common man.
You can almost type in any type of breed directory or association. Peruse the members web-sites and rarely find an advertised bull for over $2,500.00 (excluding longhorns).

KANSAS":35qvyd7t said:

If you are in the seedstock biz, you are gonna half to do drop the big bucks. Why, because you will be chasing curve bending animals that are homo polled and black...Not a lot of em out there. If your a commercial guy, and pay the big bucks you are just lining a purebred breeders pockets. A $1500 bull crossed on good cows will suffice.....but you know thats just a opinion.....but remember some folks think they need a new truck every year.....do they need it, nope, but it makes em feel better

KANSAS":1u0jwt3a said:

If you are in the seedstock biz, you are gonna half to do drop the big bucks. Why, because you will be chasing curve bending animals that are homo polled and black...Not a lot of em out there. If your a commercial guy, and pay the big bucks you are just lining a purebred breeders pockets. A $1500 bull crossed on good cows will suffice.....but you know thats just a opinion.....but remember some folks think they need a new truck every year.....do they need it, nope, but it makes em feel better

Star Lake sold a bunch of bulls for more than $2500 at their fall sale......
http://starlakeherefords.com/repository ... port06.pdf

Holden averaged $5928 at their sale.....
http://www.holdenherefords.com/06sale2.html

I have always gotten good bulls pretty cheap; BUT every farm I know of now has some sort of an ATV. A new ATV is $3000-7000 and most of em are pretty much shot in 7-10 years (faster than that is you let kids mess with them). A good female siring herd bull is going too have daughters in your herd 17++ years after you purchased him and a you could still have 1/4 bloods out of him 30 years from now. Given the impact of a bull you keep 6-15 heifers a year out of for 4-7 years (~$60,000 worth of commercial cows) .It is kind of hard for me too argue that a GOOD bull is NOT worth more than the ATV you run the cows up with.

KANSAS":hj6c9f2o said:

Here's you some cheap ones:

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. (June 7, 2005) - Half interest in two outstanding bucking bulls commanded a record shattering $112,000 and $100,000 during the Bred to Buck Bucking Bull and Female Sale which was held on Sunday, June 5. The event, which took place at the Red River Livestock Auction in Ardmore, Okla., was organized by D&H Cattle Company and represented the results of their breeding program, an endeavor that has been over 20 years in the making. The weekend kicked off with an ABBI sanctioned Bucking Bull Futurity on Saturday, June 4, and culminated with the Sunday afternoon sale. While half interest in the two ABBI Classic bucking bulls sold for over $100,000, half interest in four other Classic bulls commanded winning bids in excess of $50,000. The innovative event offered half interest purchase options in proven ABBI Classic bulls from the Page program, and by the end of the event generated an estimated $1,098,900 in total sales with a total of approximately 130 lots consigned.

MikeC":3sp5fxw8 said:
KANSAS":3sp5fxw8 said:

Here's you some cheap ones:

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. (June 7, 2005) - Half interest in two outstanding bucking bulls commanded a record shattering $112,000 and $100,000 during the Bred to Buck Bucking Bull and Female Sale which was held on Sunday, June 5. The event, which took place at the Red River Livestock Auction in Ardmore, Okla., was organized by D&H Cattle Company and represented the results of their breeding program, an endeavor that has been over 20 years in the making. The weekend kicked off with an ABBI sanctioned Bucking Bull Futurity on Saturday, June 4, and culminated with the Sunday afternoon sale. While half interest in the two ABBI Classic bucking bulls sold for over $100,000, half interest in four other Classic bulls commanded winning bids in excess of $50,000. The innovative event offered half interest purchase options in proven ABBI Classic bulls from the Page program, and by the end of the event generated an estimated $1,098,900 in total sales with a total of approximately 130 lots consigned.
cant see these high priced mongrels improving anyones herd. ;-)

For commercial folks, anything over $2,000 - $2,500 was probably hype.

Simply no way to put much more into a bull and expect to remain profitable over the long term.

If you look at the big boys, and I mean the big boys, they are only bumping up against this $2,500 figure in the last few years. Up until then, they were buying them for $1,800 or so.

Badlands

I could raise the price of a good bull, if that would make anyone feel better about it. You could go bragging to all your buddies that you paid $5K.

Badlands":3svmez1o said:
For commercial folks, anything over $2,000 - $2,500 was probably hype.

Simply no way to put much more into a bull and expect to remain profitable over the long term.

If you look at the big boys, and I mean the big boys, they are only bumping up against this $2,500 figure in the last few years. Up until then, they were buying them for $1,800 or so.

Badlands
surely you dont think that. they have too give that much at the very least for it to be believable

Average price of Char bulls:

2002-$2051
2003-$1973
2004-$2333
2005-$2613

Source: Jan 2007 Charolais Journal

I think the Angus are a little higher.

Anybody else know any breed averages?

I know I as looking at some bullsales once and the average was real darn impressive.. 4500 or something like that.. Than you took the top 4 animals out of the sale that were all 15K+ or something near there with one in the 50k region and all of the sudden that average was a lot, lot lower.. Beware of sales averages is all I am saying... Look for the median value. Now, breed wide it will probably be closer but in a lot of those sales the median will be a lot lower price than the average.

IL Rancher":3a40ytg9 said:
I know I as looking at some bullsales once and the average was real darn impressive.. 4500 or something like that.. Than you took the top 4 animals out of the sale that were all 15K+ or something near there with one in the 50k region and all of the sudden that average was a lot, lot lower.. Beware of sales averages is all I am saying... Look for the median value. Now, breed wide it will probably be closer but in a lot of those sales the median will be a lot lower price than the average.

Yes, you have to take the top 3 out of any sale average too get to the real average.

backhoeboogie":3fi0tqt0 said:
I could raise the price of a good bull, if that would make anyone feel better about it. You could go bragging to all your buddies that you paid $5K.

That's sorta what I am thinking. I'd be real happy to make all these guys feel good about themselves. Come and see me.

Now don't do that Schnurrbart, I feel plenty good with what I paid for my two Tarentaise bulls as yearlings, would have felt even better if they were cheaper

:lol: :lol:

Latest posts