Bull not interested

Help Support CattleToday:

Angus Cowman

Reaction score
the Great State of Mental Distress ( Florida)
I think I might have a prob (hope not) turned bulls out Mon and have one bull that doesn't seem interested he just hangs out by himself now and then I catch a cow or two with him
He has always been a agressive breeder before he is in with same bull he is always turned out with and he is the dominant bull so don't think that is an issue

Hope I am being concerned over nothing
any ideas

Unless you're watching them 24/7 you really don't know what's going on. This past spring I never saw any activity between my two and the bull we had. Nothing, but when we preg checked they were both bred and early in the season too. His owner said the same thing, that he was sneaky and secret about his "business". I guess it just depends on the bull.

I know a guy sold a bull because of the very same reason. All his calves hit the ground in 10 days! I myself have a bull that seems to only hit cows one time, I have seen him breed one cow one time and walk off to the shade tree.

On the other hand, the dominance may have shifted. I have seen this with my bulls alot. They seem to understand teamwork, when one gets tired the other steps up to the plate and vice versa.

Sizmic

My old mentor sold a bull that went to Namibia. After about a month he got a phone call from the buyer complaining that the lazy bull just laid at the waterhole all day. He did no breeding, didn't follow the cows and didn't even seem to graze. Due to the distance he was told to wait 6 weeks and have them preg checked. The buyer agreed and 6 weeks later it became clear that he settled every cow in the first 4 weeks of the breeding season.

I know the story is rather pointless in your situation, I would be equally concerned as a bull with temporary infertility problems also tends to ignore cows in season. I'd have a BSE done on him as soon as possible.

Angus Cowman":1y2bwxdm said:
I think I might have a prob (hope not) turned bulls out Mon and have one bull that doesn't seem interested he just hangs out by himself now and then I catch a cow or two with him
He has always been a agressive breeder before he is in with same bull he is always turned out with and he is the dominant bull so don't think that is an issue

Hope I am being concerned over nothing
any ideas

I'd be concerned. If the cows aren't already bred, he should be checking them on a regular basis. Did you have a BSE done on him before you turned him out?

Red Bull Breeder":3t0z5xss said:
Do you got any cows cycling, don't mean should be i am talking about in heat now? Whats other bull doing?

yes cows are cycling saw other bull breed 2 yesterday and 1 the day before this bull is just hanging out by himself they are in a 40 acre pasture and he will be at the opposite end from the cows Wife says maybe he is taking the night shift (lets hope)

answer others ? yes I did a BSE on him about a month ago was very good actually he extended and had ejaculation from palpation only didn't need to probe him

Last, November I regrouped some cattle when it was time to put them on oats. I had an extra bull with nowhere to go so I put a 3 year old Hereford in with group of cows and a 5 year old Angus. This Hereford grew up in the pasture with the Angus so I was hoping they would get along. Current calf crop is showing that while the Angus was out guarding his territory against the neighboring Brangus, the Hereford was taking care of business. :eek:

sex drive is just as important as fertility. no interest, no calves. i have braford bulls that only breed when no one is around. young bulls run crazy and older bulls save energy and wait for the right time.

jcarkie":2qmz60i7 said:
young bulls run crazy and older bulls save energy and wait for the right time.

Like the young bull and the old bull that got turned in with a bunch of cows. The young bull said "Let's run over there and breed some of those cows". The old bull said "Let's walk over there and breed ALL of those cows".

You say he has always been a good breeder,.....how old is he? Maybe past his years of usefullness, or as stated before, got his butt whooped. Either way I myself would be concerned.

grubbie":35jlgiba said:
You say he has always been a good breeder,.....how old is he? Maybe past his years of usefullness, or as stated before, got his butt whooped. Either way I myself would be concerned.
I don't think he got his butt whupped because I can drive him up and feed them and he and other bull will eat side by side with cows all around no bellering or posing for a fight he is 3 1/2
last yr him and the bull he is with bred 41 out of 43 cows in 28 days and the other 2 calved within 7days so all were bred within 35 days I call that good breeders

baxter78":941w21vu said:
Angus Cowman":941w21vu said:
Sorry Baxter not even going to respond on that Screwball comment

That is fine. I did not intend it to be a screw ball comment as you say. If a bull that is 2-3 years old cannot breed at least 45 cows to me he aint worth kill prices at the sale barn. We are all entitled to our own opinions and that is mine. I am sorry if you do not like that or do not have thick enough skin to take it.
Has nothing todo with thin skin
Has to do with good management practices
Have been doing it this way for yrs and their is also several university studies that back me up and say optimium # of cows to bull ratio is 25 cows or less to 1 bull for a controlled breeding season
I try to hit the mark between 20 and 25 I use 25 as the max #

baxter78":1aciccsi said:
I know a fella that had some char cows once. He had a char bull and an angus bull. He thought the angus bull was gay cuz he kept loving on the char bull and licking him. So the guy sent him down the road. Calving season comes and every one of the calves was smoke gray not a white one on the place. Apparently the Angus bull had that char bull all messed up in the head that he couldnt breed so the angus bull was getting all the ladies.

That is what I am thinking. The bull finally came out of the closet.

HerefordSire":2dpr823g said:
baxter78":2dpr823g said:
I know a fella that had some char cows once. He had a char bull and an angus bull. He thought the angus bull was gay cuz he kept loving on the char bull and licking him. So the guy sent him down the road. Calving season comes and every one of the calves was smoke gray not a white one on the place. Apparently the Angus bull had that char bull all messed up in the head that he couldnt breed so the angus bull was getting all the ladies.

That is what I am thinking. The bull finally came out of the closet.

feel better now have seen him breed a couple cows in the last few days
maybe he had a headache

We had the the same issue with a RA bull this spring. The only time we know he didn't breed one of our cows was when the neighbors Corriente bull jumped the fence and almost killed him so he could breed one of our cows. We are going to preg check Thurs and find out for sure how well he did.

BTW nothing sends a Corriente bull home faster than a dog, a 4wheeler, and a Wrist Rocket with ball bearings. He looked like a peanut cluster by the time he went back over that fence. Never came back.
Keep waiting for the neighbor to comment on how his scumbag bull got all those knots on his A$$

Just sold 2 bulls to a fella yesterday because his "lazy bull" missed 1/2 the herd. The 5 yo bull had just passed a BSE too. It can happen.

Latest posts