bull has low semen

Help Support CattleToday:

berkbig2000

Reaction score
I bought a 3 year old hereford bull this spring and he did the job for about 2 months and then he started going off by himself most of the time and later he started limping.Gave him la200 and that fixed the foot problem but he still doesnt produce enough semen to get the job done.Had him tested last month and the vet said he was borderline.When I say he did the job at first i mean after he mounted the cow the cow would hunch up.Now they dont.I have him with 24 cows and good pasture/hay conditions all the time and he has always looked very good.I know most people would say sell him but i have had this happen with 2 other bulls.I would like to know if he might get better and if some vaccinations might fix him.I'm sure he isnt getting the job done because i have 4 late calving cows that keep coming in heat the last 4 months

if it was indeed the footrot that caused this condition, it will get better with time.

Footrot can cause temporary infertility for 3 - 6 months.

i dont know what caused the bulls semen to drop.but i do know this you need to get a bull with those cows.you dont need to miss a calf crop.id pen the bull for 30 days an semen test him.if he dont have an 80 or better on the test id cull him.

If this is the third bull to have the problem I would first look to the source of the bulls. If they're different I would look to managment after you've gotten them.

What is your feed source? Is it fescue hay? Three bulls in a roll cause's me to wonder about fescue toxicity, which could also be causing a problem with the cows settling at lower semen levels.

dun":wqbg9ymr said:
If this is the third bull to have the problem I would first look to the source of the bulls. If they're different I would look to managment after you've gotten them.

:nod:

berkbig2000":3cl5ff5z said:
I have them on fescue pasture.

What time of the year are you trying to breed your cows? Fescue and summer heat cause semen quality to decrease and cows often fail to accept the fertilized egg. In Kentucky I try to have all my herd bred by the middle of May. There are several studies about breeding problems and fescue that you can find at your extension office or many universities. If you are unable to find any let me know and I will locate some.

Latest posts