Bull for best outcome

Help Support CattleToday:

The char herford x makes a heck of a good cow. Most of the char cows here are a char cross. The reason folks got them is they work for them.
They didn't get the nick name gold nuggets because folks were giving them away.

3waycross":7la5q89c said:
farmforever":7la5q89c said:
So for the person who feeds his own calves is it that bad? Last year our fats out of the char limo cross brought a slightly better price on avg and were heavier at sale time. We don't mind it.

The truly nice thing about living in America is this............You can within reason do any dam thing you want. BTW did they bring a better price than blk fats did? Just curious!

and that is not a knock on either breed.
by a few cents yes. should say we used a black limo bull though but the red calf we got still brought the best price.

Also maybe I am a little confused our char cows aren't purebred char they are crossed with something but still can tell they have char influence. Those are what we breed to the black limo bull

here is the red one that did the best

here is one of our char cross cows I think she has some hereford in her she is about 1100 pounds

The red calf is a nice calf. My guess would be that he brought the best price based on condition not perceived quality grade value.

Thank you everyone for the replies. I think I may have gotten some ideas here that I am going to put to good use.
Yes around here as in about every other area the black ones bring about a nickle more on the pound. I like what the Gelbvieh brings out in the calves and the black is a bonus but I may try the red angus on my replacement heifers and keep an eye on the results.
I have a friend with a Tarentaise bull and he's pushing me to try him on the heifers. What do you folks think of them?

Tarentaise bull on heifers will give you small calves depends on what is the bull's calving ease. But you might get docked for have Jersey markings on the crossbreds and the crossbreds will have red tint on them.

Latest posts