Bull for A Leachman Saugahatchee 3000C

Help Support CattleToday:

Richnm

Reaction score
I have an old Leachman Saugahatchee 3000C cow. She makes a thick, fat calves. She is bred to V A R Power Play, due in June. I am going to flush her and send her off. Any bull suggestions? Calves aren't aggressive but will through a kick when you work them. Her reg #14845281. Here's a pic of a couple of a heifer and a bull calf. Thanks

We still have some semen of that bull in our tank. He made some great show calves back in the day. Good looking calf.

Really appreciate that you posted her registration number. Liked what I saw on her papers & especially her longevity as well as the longevity of her MGD & MGGD. Nice photos too. Whatever you pick to flush her too, don't jeopardize the Stability. 8)

Richnm said:
I have an old Leachman Saugahatchee 3000C cow. She makes a thick, fat calves. She is bred to V A R Power Play, due in June. I am going to flush her and send her off. Any bull suggestions? Calves aren't aggressive but will through a kick when you work them. Her reg #14845281. Here's a pic of a couple of a heifer and a bull calf. Thanks

Wow those are some DEEP ribbed calves!

Richnm said:
Any recommendations for bulls?

Looks like she niches well with whoever the sire of that heifer calf is. Really like that calf. So my recommendation is that bull.

What are your goals for the resulting calves? Replacement females, bulls for sale, show calves? Since you plan to flush, I assume you're not just looking for a marketable commodity calf. Not knowing the market in your area or your plans for the calves makes it more difficult to make a suggestion. Where your located could also be relevant. For example, it seems anything with a SAV prefix sells well in the Midwest, but is not necessarily a big deal in the far West. If it were me, I'd definitely pay attention to disposition when making my choice. You might want to use a bull to improve carcass if your planning on selling bulls, but it may not matter to you if your leaning towards replacements or show calves.

I had a 2001 daughter of that bull for quite a few years, but mine was a real B. #13907431 Fertility was a plus but attitude was not. She gave me 11 calves with two sets of twins. Not sure why we put up with her as long as we did, but we were younger and more agile then. About half her retained daughters were culled for disposition. I culled one last year who retained Pathfinder status through 7 calves. She was easy to work with, but unfortunately her udder kept getting closer to the ground and I was worried it might become a problem. I still have a 2012 daughter and she has a beautiful udder and a nice disposition. She was sired by a Predestined son out of a 004 daughter. Thomas Angus in Bend Oregon used that combination a lot and they were mostly real good cows. I worried about disposition with both 004 and 3000C plus an extra shot of EXT in the pedigree, but she is great.

Katpau said:
What are your goals for the resulting calves? Replacement females, bulls for sale, show calves? Since you plan to flush, I assume you're not just looking for a marketable commodity calf. Not knowing the market in your area or your plans for the calves makes it more difficult to make a suggestion. Where your located could also be relevant. For example, it seems anything with a SAV prefix sells well in the Midwest, but is not necessarily a big deal in the far West. If it were me, I'd definitely pay attention to disposition when making my choice. You might want to use a bull to improve carcass if your planning on selling bulls, but it may not matter to you if your leaning towards replacements or show calves.

I had a 2001 daughter of that bull for quite a few years, but mine was a real B. #13907431 Fertility was a plus but attitude was not. She gave me 11 calves with two sets of twins. Not sure why we put up with her as long as we did, but we were younger and more agile then. About half her retained daughters were culled for disposition. I culled one last year who retained Pathfinder status through 7 calves. She was easy to work with, but unfortunately her udder kept getting closer to the ground and I was worried it might become a problem. I still have a 2012 daughter and she has a beautiful udder and a nice disposition. She was sired by a Predestined son out of a 004 daughter. Thomas Angus in Bend Oregon used that combination a lot and they were mostly real good cows. I worried about disposition with both 004 and 3000C plus an extra shot of EXT in the pedigree, but she is great.

Replacement females is my goal as of today. Everyone that comes to my farm always picks her calves out of the bunch of 20, over Renown , Resource , MGR Treasure etc. I figure if I had a bunch more cows like her I could AI them a few different ways and sell the calves easily. I used VAR Powerplay to add a double shot of rib and some numbers. She isn't aggressive at all, but her calves are not docile.

Lazy M said:
Richnm said:
Any recommendations for bulls?

Looks like she niches well with whoever the sire of that heifer calf is. Really like that calf. So my recommendation is that bull.

Sire was a final answer son x OCC Paxton

I really like that third photo of the heifer calf. Very nice looking! I'd take a few of her.
I know some people used BC Lookout on their Saughatchee 3000C cows with good results in the show world. Lookout proved to be more than a "show bull" as he later earned Pathfinder status from the AAA. He was an under-rated bull. Problem is his semen is hard to find now and expensive. Just an idea.

So far, you have two OCC influenced bulls suggested to use. I see a pattern here.

Had a Lookout son a few years back, he was a tank. Wish I had him back.

I'd only use bulls with proven high DOC EPDs and then pray that the genetics do not do as normal and give you scattered nuts into the next two generations. Life's too short for that foolishness.

I think a SAV bull would do some good on her. Maybe Rainfall? President wouldn't be a bad option?

Ebenezer said:
I'd only use bulls with proven high DOC EPDs and then pray that the genetics do not do as normal and give you scattered nuts into the next two generations. Life's too short for that foolishness.
I totally agree. Takes 2 generations plus some sorting to fix problems. Best to eliminate the problem before it starts. Udders, feet, poor performance you name it.

Cancel Christmas. Went to feed and the old cow was standing and being mounted . Vet came said she has " she has a hard cyst on her left ovary". Can I flush her or should I send her to Taco Bell ? Dam!!! He tried to bust it. He said it was to hard.

Latest posts