Bull choice

Help Support CattleToday:

darcelina4

Reaction score
Help me choose. I've got a mixed herd of young cattle. 4 registered red Angus, 3 shorthorn or plus, simangus, beefmaster, fleckvieh and jersey. I raise and sell pet cows, a few show calves, and a few feeders. I'm buying a red bull. I've found 3 I like. All registered. All similar price and distance to go get. A-beefmaster, 68 pound bw, 9 months, dehorned. B- maine, 70 bw, 9 months polled. C- red Angus, 72 be, polled, 11 months. I thought the red Angus but I see his paternal grandpa is paternal grandpa to my 4 red Angus heifers. One of the heifers is has some sire as material great grandsire. What do you all think?

If it were me, I would probably go with the Red Angus. Even though they would be double bred if he is a good bull then I wouldn't expect any problems from it unless there is a chance they are carriers for something. I like Beefmasters too, but if they are heifers I would be concerned calving even if it is a low BW bull.
From what little I know about Maine Anjou cattle that would be my last choice as it seems most of them are associated with club calf which might open the door to calving problems and some genetic recessive trait issues.

You could buy a good bull for cheap from your local select sire rep. Don't have to feed or house those ones either.

Ai is not an economical choice for me at this time. At $100 ,a try plus transport cost and time for 20 cows. It wont pencil out for me

I would have to go with the Red Angus. I'm to far North for the beefmaster, eared cattle don't winter well here.
I've seen Maine calves that could come out sideways easier than long ways. There to cluby and don't sell well as feeders.
The Red Angus should make a really nice F1 crosses with all your cows.

Latest posts