Bull Calf

Help Support CattleToday:

showstick09

Reaction score
This calf is out of my old show heifer from a couple years ago. Does he look worth keeping and raising as a bull, or would you send him to the sale barn? There is also a picture of his dam. Thanks for any opinions!

Based on his pictures, cut him.
How old is he, and has he been on creep feed? I'm asking because I'm wondering how good of a job his mama is doing.

He is 6 months old, and he was on creep feed but now he off. His dam's been on a liquid feeder.

I'm afraid he won't make much of a herdbull, you need to select the bull to breed your cow with specific emphasis to correct her weaknesses.

cut him. There are a lot better bulls out there. Remember you are trying to improve your herd or someone else's and that calf won't do that.

Cut him. No doubt.

A couple questions: Is this her first calf? and Who is the sire to the bull (calving ease sire?)?

Ryan

This was the heifers first calf. The bull calf's sire was a New Horizon son. The cow is already bred back again and should be calving in December-February. She bred back to either the New Horizon son again or to a Sagahatchee (sp?) son - both Reg. Angus. I will probably be AIing her next time around, so who would you suggest on using to produce a better calf? The dam is a Reg. Angus also. You can throw some clubby and reg. angus bulls out there. Thanks.

would make a pretty good steer. not so much a bull. i had the same problem with one of my heifers calves. but hes a pretty decent steer now. but he doesnt have the best muscle mass just like mine. but let me guess... he started out great and then you started gettin doubts.[thats what happened to me].

Cut him. I would suggest Rito 1I1 or 6I6 to get longer, meatier calves. If you cant a clubby bull I can't help you as I only play with the purebreds. Nice cow though. Looks like she really has a lot of potential. Good luck with her next baby!

Thanks for everyone's honest opinions. I didn't figure that he would be worth keeping as a bull, but it was something that me and my dad have been disagreeing about. My dad doesn't know much about cattle, it is kind of something I do on my own.

Latest posts