Bull Calf with Buckled front legs

Help Support CattleToday:

ranieri113013

Reaction score
Hello,
I help my father on his beef cattle farm. During the summer, we had a bull calf born out in pasture who had buckled and bowed front legs. The bow legs straightened out but he continued to have buckled legs. We thought we would have to put him down but he has somewhat adapted to his disabilities (hes also blind in at least one eye). He did great out on pasture and he has a great mom who took very good care of him and made sure he was always nursed. Because of this his actual body condition is actually really good...he's a solid boy who doesn't look like hes lacking. Now that the cattle came back up to our winter lot, he always stays in the barn and we guide him into the calf creep for grain and hay once a day and he finds his way back out when hes satisfied.

After that background information, I wondered if there is anything that we can do for him to alleviate any discomfort he feels. As we are a beef cattle farm, our main goal is to get him as big as possible for slaughter without him suffering.

You are doing what needs to be done. Making the best out of the bad situation. I doubt he is in any discomfort. He will be a good steer to process.

I had a nice calf go blind at about 3 months of age. It lived the young part of its life between the fence and the pond. It would go to the pond and drink, then go back towards the fence until it ran into it. It would graze that area using the fence as its point of reference. Mom would venture off but come back to feed it. Fed it out in a small lot after weaning similar to what you are doing. I had it processed at about 750 lbs and ground most of it into burger. Good stuff.

Sound like he is being taken care of.....

If he eats, is not hungry, and jas company he is familar with, then what more could you do....

Welcome to the board! If you plan to stay, please go to your Profile page & add where you are located. We have people from all over the world on here, so answering questions a lot of time depends on LOCATION. Thanks!

For future reference, tape milk cartons as kind of a splint when they are young, if they are buckled below the knees. Raised several that way.

I've had a bunch of them with contracted tendons in the front legs.. they've all gotten over it just fine..
The blindness, well, do what you can to keep him in a familiar area, make sure he gets his food and water, sounds like you're doing fine.. and Welcome to CT :)

snoopdog said:
For future reference, tape milk cartons as kind of a splint when they are young, if they are buckled below the knees. Raised several that way.

So you straighten the leg/s then tape them on ?

Does it correct this in a few days ?

Curious.

It sounds like this calf was more than "just tight tendons". We probably all have had calves with front legs buckled over. Like Dun would say "benign neglect" LOL. I do that - just ignore it & they walk just fine in few days or few weeks. Tight tendons are generally caused from the calf being crowded in the womb & have it's legs buckled up tight. Once the calf is forced to hobble around & USE his legs, the tendons stretch & I have never had one show any sign of it after a couple of weeks.

Jeanne - Simme Valley said:
It sounds like this calf was more than "just tight tendons". We probably all have had calves with front legs buckled over. Like Dun would say "benign neglect" LOL. I do that - just ignore it & they walk just fine in few days or few weeks. Tight tendons are generally caused from the calf being crowded in the womb & have it's legs buckled up tight. Once the calf is forced to hobble around & USE his legs, the tendons stretch & I have never had one show any sign of it after a couple of weeks.

Ya we ignored it, hoping it would straighten out and it clearly hasn't. I'll have to get a picture of him so you can see how bad it is.

thanks for posting your location in your profile!!!
I would think it is going to be a matter of how much weight he can handle. The way you described him, he may not make it to finish. He will still be good eating at a young age. My thoughts are that he had more than just "tight tendons". There are a lot of genetic defects in the Angus/and other breeds - some affect their legs.

Latest posts