Bull Calf, Need Opinions (pics)

Help Support CattleToday:

Alice":8nm4mwug said:
kiku_fs":8nm4mwug said:
I never said we were going to use him as a herd bull, just wanted to know what your guys thought, and thanks for the input.
Just curious, what do you guys think of this bull, 5 years old in pics.
rito_4.jpg

rito_31.jpg

I just visited your website and it looks as tho you sold this bull. Did ya' get a good price? Don't want to know THE price, just if you got a good one.

Alice

Yes he was our old bull, but we got ride of him when he was around 6, his heifer calves make up at least half our cows now. Hopefully he is still working, sold him to some guys who wanted older bulls.

dun":2d81mkvr said:
Where is his butt and flank?

dun

Well he was our first bull, might have had some more if he would have been fed supplements, but he was grass fed.

kiku_fs":1cvsjegz said:
dun":1cvsjegz said:

dun

Well he was our first bull, might have had some more if he would have been fed supplements, but he was grass fed.

Grain doesn;t put a butt on something that doesn;t have the ability to have one.

dun

dun":3c4guowm said:
kiku_fs":3c4guowm said:
dun":3c4guowm said:

dun

Grain doesn;t put a butt on something that doesn;t have the ability to have one.

dun

well then, idk were it is.

dun":77qdcy14 said:
kiku_fs":77qdcy14 said:
dun":77qdcy14 said:

dun

dun

dun, his butt and flank may be HUGE but his front end is bigger than normal and it could be an optical conclusion. ;-)

MikeC":2jwh8vov said:
dun, his butt and flank may be HUGE but his front end is bigger than normal and it could be an optical conclusion. ;-)

I think optical dillusion might be more accurate.

dun

kiku_fs":sij7p0nc said:
dun":sij7p0nc said:
kiku_fs":sij7p0nc said:
dun":sij7p0nc said:

dun

dun

I would guess they were left on the genetic table somewhere.

dun

Tell the truth dun. You just don't like that calf/bull do you?

Be honest now........................... :lol: :lol:

dun":6arl0ag4 said:
kiku_fs":6arl0ag4 said:
kiku_fs":6arl0ag4 said:

dun

dun

I would guess they were left on the genetic table somewhere.

dun

His papers are on our site, you can go look if you want.

MikeC":34bxxeja said:
Tell the truth dun. You just don't like that calf/bull do you?

Be honest now........................... :lol: :lol:

He must be like many on here and not like me, I did make an uproar the first time I posted pics.

He looks to big for you to safely band, so you will have to find a vet to castarate him with a knife. Then you will need to keep him in a clean lot for a few weeks until he is completely healed. He will make good freezer beef for a couple or 4 families after he puts on about 400 lbs.
Good luck with him.

Hey at least I dont care what they say anymore, or at least the stuff like that anyways.

Kiku, the mature bull is deep & thick fronted, with light rump & high in the flank. All in all, he COULD have been a decent sire, except he has such a mojor fault in his post legged.
I would venture to guess he is the sire of the bull calf?

The calf would make a good feeder steer (emphasis on steer). As has been mentioned, he is pinched in heart girth and back legs are a little too straight. Use a calicrate bander (plus a tetanus shot) or sharp pocket knife. Let him heal up and cash him in.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":1ge9p6xg said:
Kiku, the mature bull is deep & thick fronted, with light rump & high in the flank. All in all, he COULD have been a decent sire, except he has such a mojor fault in his post legged.
I would venture to guess he is the sire of the bull calf?

No, our bull coldspring, you know the black angus bull i posted that was so horrible??? Well, he is his sire. And all of the mature bull's (Or Rito as we called him) calves that we kept for our herd have good rear ends, at least i think so, here take a look at one of them and u tell me.

buttons.jpg

She is three years old. She was a bottle calf as well, got first milk though, her mother died a day after she was born, at 9 years old.
mandy.jpg

This one is a 4 year old, she is close to having here 3rd calf, her mother also died around 7 yeras old, uterus fell out of her, and she never got back healthy, so we put her down.

As for our bulls, we are thinking of fattening up our black angus and some bulls calves to sale after the first of the year, and get a black gelbvieh bull, but we are going to make sure to get a GOOD bull this time, probably will get a 2 year old instead of a 1 year old or 1 1/2 year old this time, might take some pics of a few and post um on here.

Why would anyone want to use a 1/2 gert bull as a herd sire? In my book, first rule is to put the ear in the cows if you need in for heat tolerance then select a bull to reduce the ear and otherwise compliment the cow herd. Aside for that, this calf is not structurally correct, as others have pointed out, and would pass that along to his progeny.

Kiku, now both those cows are nice. They definately are NOT post legged, if anything they are a little sickle hocked (but that's slight and SH is much better than post legged).
If bred to a good bull, you could have a good start for your herd.
As mentioned in previous threads, you will be ahead of the game to purchase a 2 year old. Let someone else grow them out so you can see their potential.
And yes, post pics before you buy & we'll try to help you. Sounds like you are trying to improve your herd.

Latest posts