Bull Calf, Need Opinions (pics)

Help Support CattleToday:

kiku_fs

Reaction score
OK, I got brave again. Here is one of our bull calves, 8 almost 9 months old, dont have any pics from the back or front. I need a pic of him beside a cow, he is much larger in real life than the photos make him out to be. Not gonna keep him for our next bull, just wanted to know your thoughts on him, thanks.
axel24.jpg

axel23.jpg

axel21.jpg

axel19.jpg

axel18.jpg

randiliana":18pwb8gg said:
I think he isn't a bad calf. Too much sheath for me, but he looks pretty thick. What breed/s??
He is out of our black angus bull, coldspring, and his momma is a Santa Gerturdis.

Kiku - it appears you have done a better job of raising this calf. He has some growth, but -- the most important thing in breeding stock is structure. He is extremely post legged (too straight).
He is also too tight in the girth (that's why he dips on his top line behind the point of shoulder. The heavy sheath is because of his pedigree, but it is excessive considering he is half Angus.
His rump slopes off too much, but of course that is the influence of the Gert breeding.
He is NOT a herd improver, he'll make a feeder calf for you.

I have a learning question here. Kiku, what do you intend to do with the calves? Do you intend to try to sell them for breeding stock, or do intend to raise them to weaning size then sell them as steers at auction?

Alice

Might not be anything wrong with this calf. The only way to tell for sure is to have calves from him and examine the data and "do-ability" of his daughters. You would possibly need something to compare his calves to though.

Will he improve your herd is the main question. Since no one here has access to your calf data OR your cows, we cannot possibly know (just by looking at a picture) if he will help your bottom line or not.

he should do fine on the feed lot. you dont have too be brave too post on here. but thick hided is of the essence. just dont consider him as breeding stock and youll be fine. man there is great genetics on every street corner now. no reason to have a below average bull anymore. NONE... ZIP...

Someone PLEASE buy this goof a set of banders for Christmas. And don't forget the bands!!!

On the other hand, from the pictures I remember that were posted last time, 100% chance that this scrub will improve the herd.

MikeC":1qqnwn8e said:
Might not be anything wrong with this calf. The only way to tell for sure is to have calves from him and examine the data and "do-ability" of his daughters. You would possibly need something to compare his calves to though.

Will he improve your herd is the main question. Since no one here has access to your calf data OR your cows, we cannot possibly know (just by looking at a picture) if he will help your bottom line or not.

I agree

Light muscled, Straight fronted, steep rumped.

She doesn't listen. She has a couple of scrub bulls and is expecting to get a wonder calf from one of them, even though everybody on here has advised her ad nauseum to cash them in and buy good stock. :lol:

If this bull would be a herd improver, you might want to think about get rid of your cows and starting over with some quality stock

dun

I never said we were going to use him as a herd bull, just wanted to know what your guys thought, and thanks for the input.
Just curious, what do you guys think of this bull, 5 years old in pics.
rito_4.jpg

rito_31.jpg

I like him. His back legs are fairly posty though. I really like the depth through the chest. If he stayed deep through to his scrotum, he'd be really good.

kiku_fs":5rpq2xx6 said:
I never said we were going to use him as a herd bull, just wanted to know what your guys thought, and thanks for the input.
Just curious, what do you guys think of this bull, 5 years old in pics.
rito_4.jpg

rito_31.jpg

I just visited your website and it looks as tho you sold this bull. Did ya' get a good price? Don't want to know THE price, just if you got a good one.

Alice

Latest posts