bull calf limping

Help Support CattleToday:

idylglade1

Reaction score
Went out after dinner and found that our 1 month old bull calf is limping. Right front leg is a little swollen. Can't figure out why. Is it safe to give him 1 bolus asprin? He started eating some grain this week, do you think it could be from that? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks for the help!

Could be foot rot, could have gotten stepped on or kicked. If your weather is anything like ours, he could have also slipped on ice, or stepped on frozen mud and injured it. Best bet is to get him in a chute and look for cuts/scrapes/sores/foreign bodies in/on his foot, and between his toes. You might as well check his leg while you've got him in there, too. Please do not medicate until you know what you're medicating for.

Put mama in the chute and tied him in front of her. Checked his foot and stuck between packed in manure was an old nail. I could not see where it had punctured the skin on the foot tho. He still hobbles but not as bad. Do you think I should be more concerned and give an antibiotic, if so how much? Or should I just keep an eye on him? Thanks again for all the information, I really do appreciate it!

If you are absolutely certain it did not puncture the skin - no antibiotic. If you are not absolutely certain, dose him once with LA200 or penicillin (I think I would add a few cc's to the recommended dosage - especially with penicillin), and watch him closely. If there is no marked improvement in a day - two at the most, retreat. You might also consider putting some iodine on his foot. Foot rot is a whole lot easier to prevent than it is to treat.

If the nail did puncture the skin maybe he should have a tetnas shot along with LA-200 for infection. If he has an infection his temp might show it.

Had temp this am and was still limping a bit. Gave a shot of la200 and a tenus shot. Also dosed foot with iodine. Thanks everyone for the help! :D

Latest posts