Bull Calf for critique

Help Support CattleToday:

I guess it just didn't matter as much to me to know so I didn't bother to find out the backgrounds of my cow Babe and the neighbors bull she was bred to. What I found out was that Babe was out of an unregistered but purebred Brahman cow and a registered Brahman bull. My son informed me tonight that Bart's sire is a registered Angus. Still a crossbreed but makes me feel a little better about his background if Matt's going to use him.

Cathill:
Here's where the confusion and ? is coming from. In your other post, you said
"My cow is a grade Brahman. She could be full blooded but I doubt she is. The bull who bred her was a grade black bull. I think there should be a chance then that Bart could be homozygous for black if it's the same as the black genes in horses. My Brahman cow is black with a grey gene so it was black to black breeding,"
That cow is Bart's dam--Babe.
You also posted a pic of Babe in a previous thread,
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=77001&p=957620#p957620
and from the way I view things, she ain't black, so it's not 'black to black' breeding.

Bigfoot":26pzt8ti said:
I looked at him again. I still like him. Birth weight sounds good. Nice shape to his head for calving ease. His top line doesn't blow me away, but it is about what I would expect to see in that cross. Take a chance on him. You'll know once calves start hitting the ground.

Right! You will know that you have just destroyed about six years of your "carefully considered mating protocol program! Here is some "unasked-for" advice: Study and look around for a bull that will HELP your program, not add Functional problems to it!

One should NOT "take chances" if one is serious about being successful in a PROFITABLE cow-calf operation!

DOC HARRIS

I don't think it is a bad calf at all. He looks like he has grown well for you. Looks to be well-muscled too.

If he is sound, gets around well, and is of good temperament, and if I had just a couple of cows as you state, I would not hesitate to use him.

He should get the job done and put some pounds and calm dispositions is his babies.

In your case, pounds at the sale barn matter more than if he is pretty.

Rahe Family Belties":24xlrb2f said:
I don't think it is a bad calf at all. He looks like he has grown well for you. Looks to be well-muscled too.

If he is sound, gets around well, and is of good temperament, and if I had just a couple of cows as you state, I would not hesitate to use him.

He should get the job done and put some pounds and calm dispositions is his babies.

In your case, pounds at the sale barn matter more than if he is pretty.
it would, if he were a terminal type, to put the pounds on...

Latest posts