Bull advice

Help Support CattleToday:

Brute 23":1bpo06sp said:
Bfields30":1bpo06sp said:
Brute 23":1bpo06sp said:
Straight Angus and buy young for that few cows.
Is there a reason your saying angus brute

For uniformity, lbw growthy calves, black will be top sellers, they tend to be fairly easy to handle, and a good availability of options.

I would not go with a composite breed. I would either go straight Angus and terminal or straight Brahman to sell replacements if the cows are of the quality. If you can rent a bull that's even better.

This firat year, with heifers, and while you see what the cows can do... a straight Angus bull will do the best job IMO.
Leasing is an option my father in law buddy has registered beefmasters and he has good young bulls that he would let me lease. That's another option i know that would be cheaper then buying.

Dave":1zr3apye said:
For years I had a pasture that would handle about 15 cows. I always used a 15-16 month old bull there. It worked out just fine for me. Not knowing what breed your cows are and will be I would go with a straight Angus. That will uniform up your calf crop as much as possible.
Baldies Angus tiger stripe heifer and and cross bred cows

gizmom":38w0vdcy said:
Well I am in the business to sell bulls, but if I have a customer come to me with 10 head to breed my advise would be if you have decent working facilities And can locate a competent AI tech AI the group. Much more cost effective than purchasing a bull that won't have enough work to do to keep him out of trouble. If you don't have time or facilities a 15 month old Angus bull should be able to cover 15 head, think 1 head for every month old. Also keep in mind a 15 month old bull is still growing, don't expect him to get the job done unless he is on good pasture or if poor pasture supplement him a bit. How many would you say to have a bull in your opinion

Gizmom

1982vett":dvhwxwto said:
Brute 23":dvhwxwto said:
Bfields30":dvhwxwto said:

For uniformity, lbw growthy calves, black will be top sellers, they tend to be fairly easy to handle, and a good availability of options.

I would not go with a composite breed. I would either go straight Angus and terminal or straight Brahman to sell replacements if the cows are of the quality. If you can rent a bull that's even better.

This firat year, with heifers, and while you see what the cows can do... a straight Angus bull will do the best job IMO.
Going to agree for the most part. I believe if you find a good Brangus it's going to run $1000 over a good Angus so economics would say Angus. Wouldn't rule out an AngusPlus if you run across one.
Just to throw this out, Best I gather your not running a uniform breed of cows. Maybe your headed that way but for now your not. I bought a Charolais a few years ago when I got in a bind needing a bull. He's been making some dandy fast growing calves. Can put a little white down the backs of the Baldie cows calves but that hasn't been s problem where I sell calves. Like I said, it depends on what your market wants. I've been dabbling in some sale barn cows for a couple years now so true make of cow isn't known. Looks like the white bull works well on all of them for making pounds of beef. With a mixed batch of cows I don't see trying to raise replacements. :2cents:
yeah I know char bulls have fast growing calfs , are they heifer friendly though, what's a good price for a good bull cause max I will spend is 2500 no higher then that. I like Brangus Bull cause eventually I just Baldie cows angus cows tiger stripe and Brangus .

Bfields30":2bxo8lck said:
Brute 23":2bxo8lck said:
Bfields30":2bxo8lck said:

Leasing is an option my father in law buddy has registered beefmasters and he has good young bulls that he would let me lease. That's another option i know that would be cheaper then buying.

Do that IMO. Get a quality, heifer friendly bull from him... don't worry about the breed.

Calving Charolais today isn't the train wreck of yesteryear. I'm sure their are some exceptions as with all breeds. Paid $2300 for a 16 month old Hereford 2 years ago so I hope $2500 would be more than enough for a good bull today. Fall replacement sales are upon us and sometimes good used bulls appear at them. I know the come with health risks, but still viable option as they are a lot cheaper as well.

Bfields30":36fz9abx said:
gizmom":36fz9abx said:
You have 5 heifers how many mature cows?

Gizmom
5 mature cows and I'm getting at least 5 more before this yr is over .

A good yearling bull should be able to cover 15-20 females. If you have 5 heifers and and at a max are going to have 10 mature cows he'll be just fine. We usually recommend 1 female per month of age for the yearling bulls we sell but we have turned out yearling bulls we kept with over 20 females sometimes but we also try to AI around a dozen so even though he may be out with 20-25 females he may only service 10-15 of them which is right in that ideal range.

Brute 23":22u3jz1q said:
Bfields30":22u3jz1q said:
Brute 23":22u3jz1q said:

Do that IMO. Get a quality, heifer friendly bull from him... don't worry about the breed.
will do

Why feed a bull for a year when you only need him for 3 months to breed. Get some calves on the ground, get you yourself a little settled and then decide what type bull you really want. I'd lease a bull in a heartbeat for that few cows. I agree with Brute. It will also help you to weed out any hard to breed/non-breeders. Replacement cattle are not very expensive right now and anything that doesn't breed here is gone on the next truck out. If I have to wait for them to rebreed, I can buy a replacement and get a saleable calf before they drop one on the ground if they are held back.Cull cow prices aren't great, but replacements can be bought for less than 2 cull cow prices.

farmerjan":2q7sqwwr said:
Why feed a bull for a year when you only need him for 3 months to breed. Get some calves on the ground, get you yourself a little settled and then decide what type bull you really want. I'd lease a bull in a heartbeat for that few cows. I agree with Brute. It will also help you to weed out any hard to breed/non-breeders. Replacement cattle are not very expensive right now and anything that doesn't breed here is gone on the next truck out. If I have to wait for them to rebreed, I can buy a replacement and get a saleable calf before they drop one on the ground if they are held back.Cull cow prices aren't great, but replacements can be bought for less than 2 cull cow prices.
thanks for the info really appreciate it

1982vett":2ndhs9m9 said:
Brute 23":2ndhs9m9 said:
Bfields30":2ndhs9m9 said:

Going to agree for the most part. I believe if you find a good Brangus it's going to run $1000 over a good Angus so economics would say Angus. Wouldn't rule out an AngusPlus if you run across one.
Just to throw this out, Best I gather your not running a uniform breed of cows. Maybe your headed that way but for now your not. I bought a Charolais a few years ago when I got in a bind needing a bull. He's been making some dandy fast growing calves. Can put a little white down the backs of the Baldie cows calves but that hasn't been s problem where I sell calves. Like I said, it depends on what your market wants. I've been dabbling in some sale barn cows for a couple years now so true make of cow isn't known. Looks like the white bull works well on all of them for making pounds of beef. With a mixed batch of cows I don't see trying to raise replacements. :2cents:

Where did you get you Char bull if you don't mind me asking?

Got him at a Spring Replacement Sale. Conway Waak of Carmine was the breeder. Carmine is between Brenham and Giddings.

15 months old up.. Don't have to be registered to be good, but unless you got a pedigree/ or some background on them ? Its buying a pig in a poke..there's plenty of deals to be had on registered....a bull can look great....but if he ain't got the backing, he may not reproduce something as good,or hopefully better than himself...

ALACOWMAN":e6oexdl4 said:
15 months old up.. Don't have to be registered to be good, but unless you got a pedigree/ or some background on them ? Its buying a pig in a poke..there's plenty of deals to be had on registered....a bull can look great....but if he ain't got the backing, he may not reproduce something as good,or hopefully better than himself...
I want young as well as lbw im waiting till the spring since all my heifers won't be 15 months until feb March

Keep in mind if your growing a herd,and not just wanting something to put a calf on the ground...""your cows are where your at. the bull is where your going"""

ALACOWMAN":1vg4nxj0 said:
Keep in mind if your growing a herd,and not just wanting something to put a calf on the ground...""your cows are where your at. the bull is where your going"""
Yeah I'm growing a herd but i know the bull is what going to make the herd better

Bfields30 said:
Anybody have Santa gertrudis bull and by chance are they lbw ?

I have a friend about 20 miles away that runs gert bulls on Angus and Hereford cows. They are not LBW. They probably avg 85 and some are over 100#. Awesome growthy calves but too much ear around here at times.

Latest posts