Bull advice

Help Support CattleToday:

Bfields30

Reaction score
So I have 5 heifers and they will all be breeding age around next March. I have some cows that I bought that will calf in January. So I'm asking I know I need a lbw bull I have Baldie heifers,tigerstripe angus what type of bull should I go with I know it's preference but trying to ask you cattle guys that's been doing it awhile should I go Brahman Brangus Hereford Braford or angus bull. Should get a bull 15 months old 2yr old or 2yr plus? All input is welcome.

I haven't had any problem breeding a lbw hereford to my baldies. Only problem is they come out all different colors but definately more growth on them than one sired by an angus bull. Nothing wrong with going the angus bull route as they will be black or black and white face calves.

I just bought 15 month of balancer bull in march and saved about $500 buying him at that age rather than a 2 year old. A 15 month old bull should have no problem breeding 5 heifers. Either way you go 15 month or 2 year old there's not much difference, but I'd def buy a younger bull just because i feel its more economical. In my operation anyway.

willow bottom":fw1n9zag said:
I haven't had any problem breeding a lbw hereford to my baldies. Only problem is they come out all different colors but definately more growth on them than one sired by an angus bull. Nothing wrong with going the angus bull route as they will be black or black and white face calves.

I just bought 15 month of balancer bull in march and saved about $500 buying him at that age rather than a 2 year old. A 15 month old bull should have no problem breeding 5 heifers. Either way you go 15 month or 2 year old there's not much difference, but I'd def buy a younger bull just because i feel its more economical. In my operation anyway.
That's my dilemma with the Hereford bull on the baldies i don't know how the color would be In trying to start a cow calf operation and sell the calfs unless a heifer worth keeping

gizmom":38xbn16s said:
You have 5 heifers how many mature cows?

Gizmom
good question...id get a Bull to fit them all.. Those type heifers developed right, should handle a heavier BW bull..if I were retaining any heifers though.."""Personally"""I'd go with a good brangus..

ALACOWMAN":2p2465sd said:
gizmom":2p2465sd said:
You have 5 heifers how many mature cows?

Gizmom
good question...id get a Bull to fit them all.. Those type heifers developed right, should handle a heavier BW bull..if I were retaining any heifers though.."""Personally"""I'd go with a good brangus..
That's what I been leaning towards is definitely Brangus Bull,

Again I'm with Gizmom. How many mature cows. How many total will determine if the 15 month old can handle it.

elkwc":1ds7xhw2 said:
Again I'm with Gizmom. How many mature cows. How many total will determine if the 15 month old can handle it.
. 5 as of now but I plan on buying 5 more before end of December

Bfields30":3l3k68c1 said:
Brute 23":3l3k68c1 said:
Straight Angus and buy young for that few cows.
Is there a reason your saying angus brute

For uniformity, lbw growthy calves, black will be top sellers, they tend to be fairly easy to handle, and a good availability of options.

I would not go with a composite breed. I would either go straight Angus and terminal or straight Brahman to sell replacements if the cows are of the quality. If you can rent a bull that's even better.

This firat year, with heifers, and while you see what the cows can do... a straight Angus bull will do the best job IMO.

Bfields30":rlsxp9mx said:
elkwc":rlsxp9mx said:
. 5 as of now but I plan on buying 5 more before end of December

The 15 month old bull should handle that ok. I turned a 12 month old bull out last year and 100% calf crop. Think all settled on first gear but one. He had 8 head to breed. Again depends on the individual. He was very growths so had the size to breed cows. This year put 13 hd with a 15 month old bull. All appear to be bred.

For years I had a pasture that would handle about 15 cows. I always used a 15-16 month old bull there. It worked out just fine for me. Not knowing what breed your cows are and will be I would go with a straight Angus. That will uniform up your calf crop as much as possible.

Brute 23":3m3k7cfc said:
Bfields30":3m3k7cfc said:
Brute 23":3m3k7cfc said:
Straight Angus and buy young for that few cows.
Is there a reason your saying angus brute

For uniformity, lbw growthy calves, black will be top sellers, they tend to be fairly easy to handle, and a good availability of options.

I would not go with a composite breed. I would either go straight Angus and terminal or straight Brahman to sell replacements if the cows are of the quality. If you can rent a bull that's even better.

This firat year, with heifers, and while you see what the cows can do... a straight Angus bull will do the best job IMO.
Going to agree for the most part. I believe if you find a good Brangus it's going to run $1000 over a good Angus so economics would say Angus. Wouldn't rule out an AngusPlus if you run across one.
Just to throw this out, Best I gather your not running a uniform breed of cows. Maybe your headed that way but for now your not. I bought a Charolais a few years ago when I got in a bind needing a bull. He's been making some dandy fast growing calves. Can put a little white down the backs of the Baldie cows calves but that hasn't been s problem where I sell calves. Like I said, it depends on what your market wants. I've been dabbling in some sale barn cows for a couple years now so true make of cow isn't known. Looks like the white bull works well on all of them for making pounds of beef. With a mixed batch of cows I don't see trying to raise replacements. :2cents:

Well I am in the business to sell bulls, but if I have a customer come to me with 10 head to breed my advise would be if you have decent working facilities And can locate a competent AI tech AI the group. Much more cost effective than purchasing a bull that won't have enough work to do to keep him out of trouble. If you don't have time or facilities a 15 month old Angus bull should be able to cover 15 head, think 1 head for every month old. Also keep in mind a 15 month old bull is still growing, don't expect him to get the job done unless he is on good pasture or if poor pasture supplement him a bit.

Gizmom

Latest posts