Buffalo

Help Support CattleToday:

Neighbors have about a dozen and had some calves last year. They keep them behind an 8 foot game fence. I never see them feed or even put out hay yet they survive. I've heard they are hard to keep inside a fence. Seems some still have that ages old desire to migrate.

My Wife just got into Buffaloes. So far, so good. They're a lot of fun to watch, and so far no problem to handle. First Calf is due any day.

Don't speak too soon. There was just a he[[ of a Buffalo killin about 40 miles from here. It seems that a big bunch of them wandered thru some fences and the neighbor put on a buffalo shoot to get rid of them. It will be a long time before this is over, if ever. There could also be a killin if things go the wrong way. Be real careful Crowder, and I mean in every way. They will sure as he]] kill you.

Crowderfarms":5egw43go said:
My Wife just got into Buffaloes. So far, so good. They're a lot of fun to watch, and so far no problem to handle. First Calf is due any day.

Appreciate the advice 3 Way cross. I've worked around some big herds of them before, and pretty much know what they can and are capable of doing.The one's she started out with have been hand raised and are pretty docile, but we trust them about as much as a Cow or Bull. Like the old saying goes, "what's a Buffalo do/go"? Anything or anywhere they want.

Neighbor raises them. Haven't heard of them having any problems. Seems they pretty much keep to themselves.

IMG_0835.jpg

There are a few herds of buffalo up here, They say they're Bison :roll: :cboy: Whatever :shock: Seems they are a lot more work then they're worth. Hard to move the meat. Folks don't seem to want to come back for seconds. :cry2:

i LOVE the meat. not as good as beef but close.

the neighbors have some. seem interesting to watch. look easy to care for too. all they get is a bale of grass hay. they have some sturdy fences and working area. they look like they might be a pain to work with.

mnmtranching":1s50vi9l said:
There are a few herds of buffalo up here, They say they're Bison :roll: :cboy: Whatever :shock: Seems they are a lot more work then they're worth. Hard to move the meat. Folks don't seem to want to come back for seconds. :cry2:

There's a good market for the meat, out here. I sell literally tons of buffalo burger every year. The touristas love it. Especially the Europeans.

My brother in law recently got 10 buffaloes and put in the pasture with his forty longhorn yearlings that he trains cutting horses with. I asked him what were his plans with the buffalo and he said he was going to eat them and sell their skulls. I said thats a lot of eating. Says he can get four hundred dollars for the skulls. Cool said I, give me a call when you bar-b-que one of those critters.

3waycross said:
Don't speak too soon. There was just a he[[ of a Buffalo killin about 40 miles from here. It seems that a big bunch of them wandered thru some fences and the neighbor put on a buffalo shoot to get rid of them. It will be a long time before this is over, if ever. There could also be a killin if things go the wrong way. Be real careful Crowder, and I mean in every way. They will sure as he]] kill you.

Well any animal can kill you,seems to me this was just kind of mean, were they someones herd or just a pack in the wild?

GMN

I have 2 beefalo steers, and one is a docile lil dude, and the other one is named bullet. I wouldnt trust him for the life of me. He looks through you and not at you, but damn is he going to taste good in the fall. He is in a pasture that i dont have to enter, so i dont worry about it to much. I do think he acts more like a buffalo, and not the "cow" in him. There is a buffalo breeder about 20 min from me and i talked with them before getting the beefalo, and they said they never enter any pen without a pitchfork. Even with the weanlings. You just never know with them.

Friend of mine used to raise them. They were perfectly content to hang aorund the pasutree till winter came, then they just walked through the fences and migrated to a rockcy mountain for the winter. The first spring he discovered the old adage is true that you can herd them any place THEY want to go.

3waycross":3coodhk7 said:
mnmtranching":3coodhk7 said:

There's a good market for the meat, out here. I sell literally tons of buffalo burger every year. The touristas love it. Especially the Europeans.

Yup, this is tourists country, and your right most everyone tries it, and there is a good market for it. Just that not to many like it well enough to give it a second try. And the skulls are worth good $ especially the big ones. One buffalo owner sells to archery hunters. Seems kinda sick to me. But he sells a dozen or so a year, different price for size. A big bull is $2500.

Latest posts