White Buffalo

Help Support CattleToday:

I have a friend that managed a herd of buffalo for a Doctor. Getting a white buffalo was the only reason he had them. Supposed to be very lucrative.

See the following link, third notation down I think. One of my uncles worked at the Nat'l Bison Range in MT for many years. I saw the "White Medicine" bull when I was young -- late 50's. I was able to ride one of the Range buffalo horses with him, on the Range, in the 80's. (Those are coooool horses. Not your cutting horse horses; they are fast and quick and are trained to stay clear.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_buffalo

But the story continues . . . At the Range, the directive was sent: the handlers were NOT to try to pro-create animals that were not the proper type. "Proper" is not the right word -- breed specific type. WHITE is not proper with bison. Nor are albino/albino marked elk. Both were at the Nat'l Bison Range in Moise, MT. Anyway . . . . . . After "Whitey," as he was known to the employees at the Range in MT was born, a directive was put out that, although he was an oddity and popular with tourists and Natives, HE WAS NOT type-specific, and NO efforts were to be made to re-create another one like him. :D :D Wasn't long before one of the Range employees put Whitey in with his mother, and the next year she produced a totally albino bull calf -- white as white could be, and blind. They paired him with a young beef steer calf, that acted as his "guide dog." Eventually, the bison and beef calves went to a zoo on the east coast together, where (as I recall the story), the albino bison calf died from a wire in the gut problem. My uncle wrote a book about his life/times at the Nat'l Bison Range.

Crap like that makes me wonder what the h__l is wrong with some people!

TexasBred":urgi7f3k said:
Slick I just saw that on Channel 4 at noon today. Hope they catch the sob's.
AND HANG THEM BY THEIR APPENDAGES!

I want these people prosecuted when they are caught. The sheriff's statement that it is up to the tribe leads me, in Indiana, to ask how these things work in the states with significant native populations. The report is inconclusive as to "who done it". Could it have been a tribe member? who might have a market for a hide? I know there are some rich Native Americans. Nouveaux rich = desire for pricey status symbols.
Is this going to vanish into tribal affairs?
I mean no offense to anyone who has a native perspective on this. I'd welcome any response from that angle.

John, I'm thinking that maybe this happened on tribal land?? And that's why law enforcement will follow with them. Property crimes on tribal lands are most often "sovereign state" matters -- to be dealt with via the local tribal law enforcement agency.

Kathie in Thorp":305wvq8g said:
John, I'm thinking that maybe this happened on tribal land?? And that's why law enforcement will follow with them. Property crimes on tribal lands are most often "sovereign state" matters -- to be dealt with via the local tribal agency.

That helps, Kt.

john250":33joxvfj said:
Kathie in Thorp":33joxvfj said:
John, I'm thinking that maybe this happened on tribal land?? And that's why law enforcement will follow with them. Property crimes on tribal lands are most often "sovereign state" matters -- to be dealt with via the local tribal agency.

That helps, Kt.
Don't know that -- just thinking that, if other law enforcement agency is deferring to the tribe.

Jo, and all on this topic -- white buff calves are a rarity; they are religious symbols to our Native Americans, a scourge for some, and dollar-makers to others. To me, it's critter-stealing/rustling. If you'd hang someone for stealing any other bovine, than you can hang one for killing a buffalo. If you wouldn't for one, then you shouldn't for the other. Bison are now part of the commercial world, just like beef. Sorry, but that's the way it is. You can buy them from commercial breeders, or put in a bid on a "wild" one when they auction at round-up first weekend in Oct. every year at Moise, MT -- those wild ones are vaccinated and BANGS tested. Big hoopla every year at Yellowstone, when their wild, never tested or vaccinated buffs move into cattle country, and some get shot. "Wild" meets "cattle management."

While the value of most any bovine can be determined by local auction results, the value of a white buffalo is tested maybe once per generation. It is worth whatever someone would pay, and that might be a lot. Or, not so much. It would be a shame if this animal was skinned for chump change.

Big reception held after its birth and another celebration on the books for this year for the calf. No tribal areas around here, so it was born on a private ranch and the owner has other buffalo herds in OK. Folks are in a major uproar around here over it. Pitty that something so important to the Native Americans is treated with such disrespect.

john250":29jt441f said:
While the value of most any bovine can be determined by local auction results, the value of a white buffalo is tested maybe once per generation. It is worth whatever someone would pay, and that might be a lot. Or, not so much. It would be a shame if this animal was skinned for chump change.

From what I'm hearing a buffalo like this would never be priced.

slick4591":3luejl10 said:
john250":3luejl10 said:

From what I'm hearing a buffalo like this would never be priced.
Oh, for some, it would have a price . . . . for sure! Priceless for others.

Latest posts