Budget AR 15's

Help Support CattleToday:

I don't think chrome lined is good in a semi rifle that could be doing a mag dump or some fun shooting kinda rapid fire stuff

Also found the Omni Hybrids for $430, have not seen them but they seem like a cheap gun.

I may have stated it incorrectly when I read back..more twist ... lighter bullet spins faster... more stability...more accurate

I think I confused myself back there

The twist deal always screws me up. I have to look it up before I say some thing usually.

That is correct. The twist will determine the grain bullet. Shooting a good Branes, Hornady, Nosler... non-fmj.... bullet will help some.

.223/5.56 is not a deal breaker with hogs and I'm not reccomening people need huge calibers to kill hogs. The vast majority of hogs I have killed were with a .243. There is a huge percentage difference of actually killing a hog dead between a .223 and a .243+ caliber.

Great thing about ARs is enjoy your 5.56 and when you are able build you another upper in 6.8 for hogs. You only need one lower in many cases so it will be pretty cheap to have one of each. :D

dieselbeef":2d0l6lj7 said:
within each caliber, the heavier bullet typically does better in the faster twist.
The reason heavier bullets (unless the are homogenous) require a faster twist is because of length to diameter. The homogenous ones need faster twist because even though they are lighter they are longer for their weight. Too fast a twist can be detrimental to accuracy. We used to refer to it as "over stabilized). The lighter the bullet (remember the length caveat) the slower twist that is required. That's why old roundball shooting muzzle loaders had a 1:66 to a 1:72 twist. When shooting conicals became common they upped the twist to 1:48

well I was trying to simplify it but I guess it got even more confusing...heavier is typically longer. the length is what most determines the twist rate. bearing surface of the bullet to bore.
a 1-7 means one turn in 7 inches. 1-12 is one turn in 12 inches.
dangit im confusing myself now. you really gotta be on this to understand..typing I lose my train
over stabilized is poss..bullets will actually deform if ''spun out'' the end of the barrel...

dieselbeef":1g6jp8cu said:
well I was trying to simplify it but I guess it got even more confusing...heavier is typically longer. the length is what most determines the twist rate. bearing surface of the bullet to bore.
a 1-7 means one turn in 7 inches. 1-12 is one turn in 12 inches.
dangit im confusing myself now. you really gotta be on this to understand..typing I lose my train
over stabilized is poss..bullets will actually deform if ''spun out'' the end of the barrel...
Bearing surface doesn;t even matter, it's strictly a length to diameter equation.

MudHog":27i2hff2 said:
Is there a forging mark on the DPMS lower or upper?
If your asking me, not sure. I only priced them. Tried to buy a used one off a guy the other day, we talked but never got to see the gun.

Kingfisher":25narfq2 said:
Tell me again what the preferred small caliber bullet is? Thanks in advance.
For what? Pigs, deer, yotes, prairie dogs, etc.

Kingfisher":1cfgxl5e said:
dun":1cfgxl5e said:
Kingfisher":1cfgxl5e said:
Tell me again what the preferred small caliber bullet is? Thanks in advance.
For what? Pigs, deer, yotes, prairie dogs, etc.
Deer,pigs, dogs.
69-72 gr game bullets for the first 2, 55 gr hollow points for the latter. Someone, I think it may be Winchester has come out with a pig load that is supposed to be really deadly
Because of the grisle shield over the vitals, for a big old boar I would still work for a shot in the ear hole.

Latest posts