Budget AR 15's

Help Support CattleToday:

tom4018

Dumb Old Farmer
Reaction score
Been wanting a AR15 223/5.56 for a while, just a want I guess.

I don't want to spend fortune on one. Looked at the Smith and Wesson MP 15 Sport, for a little less than $600 last time I looked.
Local place has been advertising the Ruger AR 556 for $610, it does have forward assist and dust cover best I can tell from the pic. No mention of chrome barrel.

Any suggestions? How important is a chrome barrel?

Unless you're planning on shooting corrosive stuff the chrome barrel isn;t that important.

I bought a Bear Creek Arsonel AR a couple weeks ago for $499 new. It is a baxic AR but does have dust cover and forward assist. Also a 30rd mag and a hard case to carry it in. I will probably not shoot it until I see what the latest gun rules bunch will think up. I feel they may get lots higher again soo.

anyone tried the dpms orical any thoughts on it. I bought one cheap have not tried it yet

wv mud river":3nua2rqm said:
anyone tried the dpms orical any thoughts on it. I bought one cheap have not tried it yet

It's ok, but the M&P or the ruger feel like better rifles to me. I can't remember the difference, it iirc there are a couple features on the other two that make them a little better value also.

Brute 23":3vugw1cy said:
Can I ask why an AR? A mini-14 would be in that price range, more dependable, and may do what you need.

I would not buy a $600 AR. You are getting what you pat for on that deal.
Mainly because of price and accessories. Mini-14's are over $800

dieselbeef":hy8v4obu said:
i have 2 dpms models..both flawless
I've got one. After outting a brass catcher on it I really like it. Got rid of a mini-14, got tired of barely bing able to hit anywhere near where I was aiming.

im with ya dun..i do alot of shooting. that ar will outshoot the mini anytime. anywhere. the range on the ar is good for at least twice what that mini will do..probly triple.
side by side theres no comparison really

dieselbeef":3xazhq3p said:
im with ya dun..i do alot of shooting. that ar will outshoot the mini anytime. anywhere. the range on the ar is good for at least twice what that mini will do..probly triple.

Got to throw the BS flag on the range it is a 223 round the ballistics don't change enough to notice on a
single shot, bolt action or semi and I own everyone of them including an AR and a Mini.
MOA groups is one thing range is a non issue and the same.

Caustic Burno":1fd7xzly said:
dieselbeef":1fd7xzly said:

Got to throw the BS flag on the range it is a 223 round the ballistics don't change enough to notice on a
single shot, bolt action or semi and I own everyone of them including an AR and a Mini.
MOA groups is one thing range is a non issue and the same.
I agree. About the only thing other then wind or elevation that would cause range diffrences from ballistics is bullet and velocity. Barrel length can affect velocity. Granted some barrels are slower then others, but not enough to make that much difference.

Brute 23":74wjr8ka said:
Can I ask why an AR? A mini-14 would be in that price range, more dependable, and may do what you need.

I would not buy a $600 AR. You are getting what you pat for on that deal.
As an owner of a Mini-14 and an AR, I 100% agree with you and your logic on that.

range may be the same in distance but not in accuracy. you can throw a mini as far as it is accurate. length and twist do make a diff but that ruger will never be an ar...

colts are still on sale at slickgun for 799...if your making a comparison make that one...then consider resale value. a basic ar with irons will outshoot a ruger anyday..

The newer "Mini" guns have come a long ways. Plus with all the layoffs in the oil field you can find them in great shape, used for $500-600. That's a good buy on those guns.

They both have their pros and cons. If you want to mount a bunch of crap on one and act like Rambo the AR is your gun. If you want some thing to throw in the truck or mule the Mini is your gun.

I am eyeing those new Mini 30 Tactical guns. They have a little heavier barrel and shoot the 7.62x39 round. :nod:

Latest posts