Budget AR 15's

Help Support CattleToday:

MudHog":1qn24jr2 said:
Build your own.

AR-15 stripped lower can be bought for $55 + FFL fee
Cabela's had lower parts kits for $70
Daytona Tactical has complete upper for $319 in 7.62x39 or 300BLK for $280 + BGC and CH or $199 for 5.56 + BCG and CH.

I have a Daytona Tactical 300BLK upper and they use Cerro forgings identified by the keyhole forge mark on the upper. My Anderson and Aero Precision lowers both have the same keyhole forge mark as well.
So are you saying a upper kit for $200? I looked on the site and really didn't see one but just glanced. A little confusing to make sure you get everything you need and not end up with more in it that you can buy a out of the box rifle.

dieselbeef":1q6bpkz6 said:
well as I said mine was quite some time ago and Im guessing it was for sale for the reason I sold it. once bitten twice shy
ill take the ar..there isn't a reason not too. itll fire and kill pretty much no matter what

are yall missing the colts for sale ..cuz you cant hardly buy a mini for 750 bucks and itll never ever resale like a colt. if the wife wasn't laid up id have bought 2 for that price
Is this one you are talking about?

http://www.slickguns.com/product/colt-a ... -blk-77900

Just a breakdown of the prices to give more clarity.

Stripped Lower: $55
FFL Fee: $20
Lower Parts Kit with stock: $90 (found this at Daytona Tactical)
M4 assembled upper: $200
BCG and CH: $100

Grand total: $465 and you have a functioning AR-15

resale it...look I don't care about what any of ya do..but a ''functioning'' rifle wont have any value If you ever want to sell it. supposing I don't know any of those names w/o researching them...colt..yea I know that name...99 times outta 100 people will buy the name they know...
rifles can be built pretty chea but if your not really ''into'' guns...the name will have as much value as the gun itself

smith and Wesson...ruger..colt..weatherby..whats the first thing ya think..expensive quality guns..thats all im trying to say

I agree with that. I've been watching all the forums and classifieds since the down turn and you can tell what has good resale and what doesn't.

There are "budget ARs" out the wazoo. Lots of handguns. Any thing Tauris or Rossi is a no go. Can't hardly give the 300 MAGs or 7mm away.

6 one way and half a dozen the other way. If the initial investment cost less, then there is less money required to recover. Me personally, I'd rather make four $300 purchases than one single $1200 purchase. I buy/build for functionality not for collectors value. That said, I would personally think that a person that doesn't know guns would want a cheaper investment. Someone who knows guns would know the numismatic value of the gun and would be willing to pay more money.

Just two different approaches and each is perfectly fine in their own right. Agree to disagree?

I'm making a hog killing machine.

5.56 or .223 which one do you recommend and why?

Part B. I started with these pretty cheap components below, but was going to put a decent barrel on it. It'll probably look like Johnny Cash's 1949-73 Cadillac https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWHniL8MyMM, but I won't feel bad when it gets tossed around and scratched up. How bad am I messing up?
http://www.wcarmory.com/saa-aero-precis ... ceiver.htm
http://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore. ... /ID/124244

Tom, from your first post, I've read that as GB said, it helps with corrosion if you shoot a bunch but that it hinders accuracy some.

Commercialfarmer":2135qr0c said:

5.56. You can Safely fire either 5.56 or .223 in it. Not necesarrily can with a .223

Commercialfarmer":1cklvtt6 said:

Part B. I started with these pretty cheap components below, but was going to put a decent barrel on it. It'll probably look like Johnny Cash's 1949-73 Cadillac https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWHniL8MyMM, but I won't feel bad when it gets tossed around and scratched up. How bad am I messing up?
http://www.wcarmory.com/saa-aero-precis ... ceiver.htm
http://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore. ... /ID/124244

Tom, from your first post, I've read that as GB said, it helps with corrosion if you shoot a bunch but that it hinders accuracy some.

Neither.... 6.8 or 7.62 or go in to the AR 10 platform.

Hogs soak up .223/ 5.56 bullets like nothing. Especially with cheap ammo. If you are shooting from a rest and can ear hole them it's fine. If they are moving or you don't land the perfect shot the larger calibers with good ammo are your friends.

People say... I got a bullet in him... it will die in the brush. Nope... I have seen a lot of hogs cleaned and you should see how many bullets come out of hogs. It will blow your mind.

Brute, not what I wanted to hear. I've already done gone and bought the upper and lower. Was debating on barrels.

Do you think ammunition choice plays a pretty big role? Say between fmj vs real hunting loads and a 55grain bulk vs a 68 or 70 something grain- decent percent increase between 55 grain and 72grains?

I guess if it works out with my build, I may have to restart with a larger caliber. For what ill have in it, I might be able to build a second.

dun":3247tvbk said:
Commercialfarmer":3247tvbk said:

5.56. You can Safely fire either 5.56 or .223 in it. Not necesarrily can with a .223

Dun, with all your experience do you think the 5.56 gives up much accuracy (longer distance before rifling contact) or is it negligible in the real world?

Commercialfarmer":yv4lqbu6 said:
dun":yv4lqbu6 said:
Commercialfarmer":yv4lqbu6 said:

Dun, with all your experience do you think the 5.56 gives up much accuracy (longer distance before rifling contact) or is it negligible in the real world?
In my DPMS with the light (55 gr which isn;t even remotley suitable for hogs anyway) the 223s don;t shoot very well, but the heavy ones in either shoot about the same. I haven;t spent hours benching the DPMS though.

barrel twist should determine what grainyour shooting. caliber I would go 556 if your sticking to either. but a 308 is a good shooter

dun":1o96vsix said:
In my DPMS with the light (55 gr which isn;t even remotley suitable for hogs anyway) the 223s don;t shoot very well, but the heavy ones in either shoot about the same. I haven;t spent hours benching the DPMS though.

Dun would you recommend a DPMS? Local store has them on sale for $480, but to me they seem to be a cheaper gun. Handled the Ruger and really thought it felt better, friend of mine wants me to get the Armalite. I want one but really like keeping my cash also.

tom4018":2fnqaguk said:
dun":2fnqaguk said:

Dun would you recommend a DPMS? Local store has them on sale for $480, but to me they seem to be a cheaper gun. Handled the Ruger and really thought it felt better, friend of mine wants me to get the Armalite. I want one but really like keeping my cash also.
I've been well pleased with mine. Pretty accurate although not a match target quality, but it's never missed a beat. Just to burn up partial boxes of misc junk I just filled magazines with whatever box of stuff came up next. Mixed weghts and brands. Never a hicup, just kept banging away.

I have a dpms also..like it just fine. shoots as good as either of my s/w mp rifles. 480 is a great deal. what model. you need sights. if it doesn't have them then they'll cost you extra for optics or back up irons. also the adj stock is handy but mine has the older gi style and has internal storage. I like it also. I have both kinds...if youre short ya might like the adj stock tho. look and see what it has for fornt handguards also..full rail is good for bolting on alotta junk but I don't use a front rail and have glacier guards on mine.

dieselbeef":3gfa3rzj said:
I have a dpms also..like it just fine. shoots as good as either of my s/w mp rifles. 480 is a great deal. what model. you need sights. if it doesn't have them then they'll cost you extra for optics or back up irons. also the adj stock is handy but mine has the older gi style and has internal storage. I like it also. I have both kinds...if youre short ya might like the adj stock tho. look and see what it has for fornt handguards also..full rail is good for bolting on alotta junk but I don't use a front rail and have glacier guards on mine.

It is the Panther Oracle, no sights and just the plain round hand guard. Not chrome lined. Do you feel chrome line is important?

Latest posts